Fixed Blade Hawkbill: We Need To Talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ceya

Re: Fixed Blade Hawkbill: We Need To Talk

Post by ceya »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:03 pm
A hawkbill with a deep curve is problematic on the sheath. Either difficult to deploy or very wide.

sal
This was a problem in my design that Ed Chavar (Rip) and I had come to solve somewhat.
I have used mine in the Corps to test and had others to test for me.

It was the resheathing was a little more hard to do that deploying out.
Attachments
CeyaHawk003.jpg
CeyaHawk003.jpg (37.19 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
ceya

Post by ceya »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:34 pm
Oh, and a sharpened swedge on the forward edge of the blade for slicing open platic wrap and junk.

I don't see the Swick working for anything but a reverse hawkbill, but with the forward edge sharpened a bit aswell it adds some extra functionality.
This was done on the Ceya's Hawk . The back of the head was sharpened enough. It was to be serrations also and on the primary edge.

Where I was in 1997 a bud who was a cop told me if it was sharpened alittle more he would have to arrest me.

Ceya!
Attachments
CeyaHawk000.jpg
CeyaHawk000.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Last edited by ceya on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ceya

Post by ceya »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:17 pm
Hi JD,

While I admire your interest and passion, I'll admit that I'm not in a hurry to meet your request. Hawkbills are a small market at best and I don't have much faith in plain edge Hawkbills as working tools. I agree with suggestions that an existing design (Enuff, Swick, etc.) would be a better investment. I think my preference would be for the Swick. The blade is shorter and the angle not so severe for the sheath.

Hi Stuart,

The tip of the Civilian does not drop as much as designs like the Spyderhawk. It's the dropped tip that creates sheath problems.

sal
There is a market for something.

I once went to knife shows and saw folders with serrations, many did not think it would make it.

They thought it was a small amount of people who would buy them.

A little over 25 yrs later that knife design is in my drawer with the hole in the blade. And many people also have bought them.

The reason I designed the Ceya's Hawk was to have a blade that was half Bowie and half hawk bill for combat purpose aka Riddle of Steel training.

There are changes and add on that was never done. Smaller version, serrations , different steels and handle materials.

Strength and Honor,
Ceya!
Last edited by ceya on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ceya wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:10 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:34 pm
Oh, and a sharpened swedge on the forward edge of the blade for slicing open platic wrap and junk.

I don't see the Swick working for anything but a reverse hawkbill, but with the forward edge sharpened a bit aswell it adds some extra functionality.
This was done on the Ceya's Hawk . the back of the head was sharpened enough. It was to be serrations also and on the primary edge.

Where I was in 1997 a bud who was a cop told me if it was sharpened alittle more he would have to arrest me.
I'm just dying to try that bad boy in Spyderedge :cool: I do think that a Hawkbill version of the SWICK can be a great tool in spite of it's size.
ceya

Post by ceya »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:07 pm
sal wrote:
A hawkbill with a deep curve is problematic on the sheath. Either difficult to deploy or very wide.

sal
Well Mr. Glesser would something along the lines of the old SUPERHAWK model in curve and degrees be more suitable for a possible sheath set up?? Also on my old "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill thread ( vintage 2005 :D ) our good Brother "Ceya" presented his Ceya's Hawk design ( it is a fixed blade Hawkbill by the way) and it has a curve consistent with the curve on the SUPERHAWK model.

Even if you all went with something like EVIL D suggested in the JUMPMASTER size range>> as aggressive as that model is in SE you probably wouldn't need as radical as a curve as we have now with the smaller folders i.e. Harpy Spyderhawk ect. However I do admit when working with my H-1 Spyderhawk I have had times when the increased curve did help on those types of cutting jobs.

One more tidbit I could add>> I have an older BUCK linoleum knife which is a really curved Hawkbill like most linoleum knives. It came with a really nice leather sheath that accommodates it well>> you just kind of got to use a bending/twisting type move to get it out. I'm sure there is a practical design which would enable easy deployment with a little bit of thought and I bet there are Brethren here with some good suggestions on sheath design.
The reason I came back was seeing the request of the blade.

And to thank JD for thinking of my design and support.

Try to help him achieve his goal if it was my design or something else close to it

Ceya!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Oh I believe in due time that the demand for a premium fixed blade Hawkbill will come to fruition. But I'm still a bit perplexed as to why Mr. Glesser thought that I wanted a plain edged unit. No first and foremost I would want to see one with a great serrated edge ( Spyderedge) or maybe even a newer/better serration pattern. I've said on a few occasions that I have less and less uses for a plain edged Hawkbill and actually I haven't carried or used one in this decade that I can remember.

Curved blades and serrations go together like "ham & eggs">> the only reason I would want to see it be offered in both edge types is because there is a group of Spyder-Brethren that only want plain edges :confused: Why I'm not sure but at least I would want them to be available in PE & SE both. A longer blade or even a blade as long as what Ceya's Hawk has could even accomodate a combo edge which to me would be interesting on a fixed blade unit.

Ceya I do believe if we added a set of nice teeth to your fixed blade hawkbill and maybe just a few degrees more curve in it I think it would be close to perfection for a fixed blade unit. We can't let this die.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bumping this for the Swick 5 Hawkbill SE in LC200N ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:35 pm
Bumping this for the Swick 5 Hawkbill SE in LC200N ;)
I would be very content to start out with a SWICK Hawkbill and especially in SE. Because again my personal uses for a plain edged Hawkbill are so few and far between I've decided that only SE Hawkbills make any sense for me at all. What the heck it would be a step in the right direction if we could even see the return of a Spyderedged Dodo.

But the more I think about a SWICK hawkbill the more I like it and I do believe that could open the door for bigger models too.
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

How about a Shark-Ray? Also available in orange and yellow.

shark-ray-black.jpg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cgjones wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:54 pm

shark-ray-black.jpg
Brother you just hit that one out of the park with men on base :cool: That is one possibility that I suggested early and please let me explain. The more I look at that great fixed blade Hawkbill the more it looks to me like a fixed blade Spyderhawk with all the great qualities combined. I also love that 1 inch plus plain edged tip. If Spyderco doesn't make something similar to this one you just shared with us I will buy one of these>> and I might just go ahead and buy one irrespective of what the Great Spyder Factory decides to do. That is one super colossal fixed blade Hawkbill.

Oh I still like Ceya's Hawk as well>> I would truly like both of them. But to be honest this one would probably be my biggest user fixed blade Hawkbill.

That is the best suggestion for a Spyderco fixed blade Hawkbill I've seen yet on this thread. Thank you a hundred times over for sharing that one with us. The Interesting aspect of G-Sakai is that they have been a maker of Spyderco Japan units for some time now. I'm wondering if the Spyderhawk might have been an inspiration for that great FB Hawkbill :cool:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I've had one of the H1 G.SAKAI Sabi Knives for 3 years now, and it is

and a lovely sheath too
Thin, sharp and pointy slicey blade :cool:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:03 pm
I've had one of the H1 G.SAKAI Sabi Knives for 3 years now, and it is

and a lovely sheath too
Thin, sharp and pointy slicey blade :cool:
And my question is "Why Didn't The Great Spyder Factory Come Out With This Model or Something Like It"???? :confused: I would think that once someone would test drive this blade you would have trouble keeping it in stock.

Why does it not surprise me that you would be the one here at Spyderville to already own one of these PEACENT?? :D
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

sal wrote:
sal
Perhaps a sheath with part of the back cut out, sort of like the Darn Dao https://www.google.com/search?q=spyderc ... &ie=UTF-8 . Inspired by this thread, I just played around with my Schrade Shasta McNasty https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... dICP8cnnrA on a belt; while the retention method and shape could have used some more development, it draws easily due to the cutout.

For resheathing on the proposed hawkbill, sliding the spine along the inside of the sheath might be a good method for resheathing, to avoid edge contact.

The Buck 810 https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... sQzKty5z5A seems to be a lot less extreme in curve than what we might be dealing with, and solves it's problems with a wide mouth sheath and leather welts.

While deployment of a deep curved fixed blade hawkbill is a is a bit more involved than a conventional blade shape, it is would be still faster than and require less fine motor skill compared to a hawkbill folder. Admittedly resheathing would take a bit more care.

Stuart Ackerman, If you do not mind sharing potentially proprietary information, could you show us the sheaths for the Boomerang and the opened Civilian?

I have small soft spot for fixed blade hawkbills, but own only a few, as I have little rational personal use case for them. However I do like the look ThePeacent's mockup and Stuart Ackermans Boomerang. I see there being uses in both serrated and PE.

While I have little use for a premium fixed hawkbill, I do have an inexpensive one for gardening for cutting roots and weeding (I think it was originally designed for rice, the serrations are so fine and teeth so long). It was useful enough that I made a sheath for it and it is a plankholder on my gardening toolbelt) I have been keeping an eye out for an upgrade, I have not seen something suitable. Also I have plus a serrated sickle Zenport K204 for larger roots (still need to make a sheath for it).
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

KK
Chad Los Banos has the Boomerang with it's sheath, and made an offer to myself to send it to Sal years ago, if he was interested in looking at it.
It was a belt carry with a vertical draw, and Chad coped quite okay. :)

I do not have a Civilian anymore, but I can do a sketch with an image off the Interwebs of a Civilian...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:42 pm
KK
Chad Los Banos has the Boomerang with it's sheath, and made an offer to myself to send it to Sal years ago, if he was interested in looking at it.
It was a belt carry with a vertical draw, and Chad coped quite okay. :)

I do not have a Civilian anymore, but I can do a sketch with an image off the Interwebs of a Civilian...

Hey Stuart!! How is Chad these days? It's been a while since I've chatted with him here at Spyderville. Great old school Spyder-Brother. I still have one knife that I got from him in a trade years ago. He told me he was working in the correctional department of Hawaii the last time I got to chat with him.

Stuart had you ever seen this one fixed blade of G-Sakai's that we've been looking at? Also I don't think a sheath would be that much of a problem myself. The one I had on that old BUCK linoleum knife worked really well and I believe it was made way back in the 90s according to the guy I bought it from. It blew me away when I found out that BUCK made stuff like that.

Everything about that G-Sakai fixed blade Hawkbill just makes me green with envy.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Did someone say Swick hawkbill?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:20 am
I've said before that I thought something in the size range of the SWICK model would be a great first fixed blade Hawkbill for the main Spyderco line up.

Or you could also entertain the possibility of maybe a Reverse S fixed blade. I've said for some time that a Dodo model in a bigger/wider scale would be an excellent utility knife for all kinds of hard work jobs. Especially if they offered it in Spyderedge.

And I don't think the "sheath" would be that big of an obstacle in either model IMO.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:03 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:20 am
I've said before that I thought something in the size range of the SWICK model would be a great first fixed blade Hawkbill for the main Spyderco line up.

Or you could also entertain the possibility of maybe a Reverse S fixed blade. I've said for some time that a Dodo model in a bigger/wider scale would be an excellent utility knife for all kinds of hard work jobs. Especially if they offered it in Spyderedge.

And I don't think the "sheath" would be that big of an obstacle in either model IMO.
They had the Dot, but it was tiny.

-Thomas Jefferson
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

cgjones wrote:

shark-ray-black.jpg

These are very cool. I would love to see a larger version of these with an FRN grip and H1 SE blades.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:42 am
cgjones wrote:

shark-ray-black.jpg

These are very cool. I would love to see a larger version of these with an FRN grip and H1 SE blades.
Heck I would even take a plain edged version if they used LC200N blade steel. But those are nice and it just drives home the fact that a fixed blade Hawkbill would fit nicely with Spyderco's great line up of Hawkbill folders.