Fixed Blade Hawkbill: We Need To Talk

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Fixed Blade Hawkbill: We Need To Talk

Post by vivi »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:29 pm
I have made a bunch of sheaths for Civilians carried in the open position.
SOB carry and sheathing was no problem.
Is your avatar a fixed hawkbill?
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Oh, and a sharpened swedge on the forward edge of the blade for slicing open platic wrap and junk.

I don't see the Swick working for anything but a reverse hawkbill, but with the forward edge sharpened a bit aswell it adds some extra functionality.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:58 pm
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Is your avatar a fixed hawkbill?
It is, Vivi...owned by Daywalker/Chad Los Banos...

The Boomerang... :p

The steel was 110 mm wide.
Last edited by Stuart Ackerman on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Oh yes, it was the first VG10 blade I made after sourcing a sheet.
Pakkawood scales, Kydex sheath
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:53 pm
I don't at all mean to sound like a wise guy but you could say that about all knives.
I don’t think so. Knives that take a lot of abuse need to be fixed. Knives that get really dirty or messy (skinning) are much easier to clean if fixed. Large blades need to be fixed. Etc (lots of applications benefit from fixed).

But for what I think of for a hawkbill (pull cuts on fibrous material) I just don’t see why it needs to be large and beefy such that a fixed blade offers anything. You’re not going to baton with it. Deployment is actually trickier if you make it fixed than as a folder (as Sal pointed out).

So that’s where I’m coming from. What’s the “killer app” for this fixed blade hawkbill?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
That's really interesting Stuart and I would love to check one of those out. Now I'm more of a MATRIARCH fan than I am a CIVILIAN fan but I"m sure one could be made for the Matriarch too.

Just like that post I answered of Mr. Glesser's>> When I told him about that old BUCK linoleum knife I've had for years. It really blew me away how high quality of a sheath they used on that one. You wouldn't think they would make anything really fancy for a linoleum knife but they did.

And what's really cool is as curved/bent as that linoleum blade is that sheath they made really works quite well considering.

I'm curious on that CIVI sheath do you have to bend or contort to feed it in and out of the sheath?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:22 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:53 pm
I don't at all mean to sound like a wise guy but you could say that about all knives.
I don’t think so. Knives that take a lot of abuse need to be fixed. Knives that get really dirty or messy (skinning) are much easier to clean if fixed. Large blades need to be fixed. Etc (lots of applications benefit from fixed).

But for what I think of for a hawkbill (pull cuts on fibrous material) I just don’t see why it needs to be large and beefy such that a fixed blade offers anything. You’re not going to baton with it. Deployment is actually trickier if you make it fixed than as a folder (as Sal pointed out).

So that’s where I’m coming from. What’s the “killer app” for this fixed blade hawkbill?
Well I kindly beg to differ with you. Because even with a conventional designed blade I'm finding that I can usually apply more pressure and do it more safely that I can with a folder and with confidence as well. The sturdiness of a fixed blade ( especially a really rigid designed unit) just gives me a lot more confidence using it. Even as much as I love my M390 Military ( I idolize that folder along with the C-60) I've found that when using my STREETBEAT I just seem to have a little more secure grip with it at times. Not to mention you can accommodate a bigger blade in most cases as well.

Maybe this is just a ford vs chevy type debate but I'll at least say I personally see a lot of obvious advantages in a well built fixed blade. Also you can use culinary knives as another example as well. I bet you won't find one chef that would opt for a folder over a fixed blade for instance. I would also be willing to bet that guys in the fishing and seafaring industries that use these hawkbill types of blades a lot for fishing nets and other jobs would also appreciate a fixed blade>> they would also be much easier to rig up a lanyard with than a folder would be >> and that would be really great when working at sea, lake, river because I couldn't imagine the heartbreak of seeing any nice blade go overboard :eek: .
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:34 pm
So... what would a fixed blade hawkbill offer that a folder can’t provide? I understand why some blade types benefit from sturdy fixed blade construction, but not the hawkbill.

Well... generally speaking, a fixed blade also gives you a more comfortable and ergonomic handle to begin with.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd actually be fine with an Enuff hawkbill as well, I don't necessarily need 5+ inches of blade for what I plan to use it for. The extra reach is sometimes handy but most cuts are made closer to the tang where more leverage is made. An Enuff hawkbill might be easier to make sheaths for.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:25 am
I'd actually be fine with an Enuff hawkbill as well, I don't necessarily need 5+ inches of blade for what I plan to use it for. The extra reach is sometimes handy but most cuts are made closer to the tang where more leverage is made. An Enuff hawkbill might be easier to make sheaths for.
I wouldn't object to a Hawkbill in the ENUFF line up at all. But for a small one I still think that the suggestion of a SWICK Hawkbill makes more sense in many ways. First it would be a great one to have a GOLDEN made Hawkbill>> there is a lot of versatility to modify and create different types of handles for it. I also like ergonomics of the SWICK a bit better myself.

But your initial suggestion of a "JUMPMASTER" hawkbill so far intrigues me the most. But even a larger scale SUPERHAWK in a fixed blade appeals to me as well. ALL of them of course need to be offered in Spyderedge. Because to me a Hawkbill without a Spyderedge is almost like a Michelin Radial with no air in it.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I have activated the Spydie Signal(like the Bat Signal, but better)

Now, we wait!..
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

5" or better spyderedged with VG10 or similar and enough tube holes that you could fashion a pole for a makeshift polesaw for small limbs... I'd be down
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

While I admire your interest and passion, I'll admit that I'm not in a hurry to meet your request. Hawkbills are a small market at best and I don't have much faith in plain edge Hawkbills as working tools. I agree with suggestions that an existing design (Enuff, Swick, etc.) would be a better investment. I think my preference would be for the Swick. The blade is shorter and the angle not so severe for the sheath.

Hi Stuart,

The tip of the Civilian does not drop as much as designs like the Spyderhawk. It's the dropped tip that creates sheath problems.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:17 pm
Hi JD,

While I admire your interest and passion, I'll admit that I'm not in a hurry to meet your request. Hawkbills are a small market at best and I don't have much faith in plain edge Hawkbills as working tools. I agree with suggestions that an existing design (Enuff, Swick, etc.) would be a better investment. I think my preference would be for the Swick. The blade is shorter and the angle not so severe for the sheath.

Hi Stuart,

The tip of the Civilian does not drop as much as designs like the Spyderhawk. It's the dropped tip that creates sheath problems.

sal
Well I'm down for the Hawkbill Swick reverse or standard, SE only, LC200N.
I'm already waiting for the Swick 5, what's one more?

The front edge being sharpened PE from the tip, half way back on a reverse hawkbill. Would that be feasible?

Thanks for listening!

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:17 pm
Hi JD,

Hi Stuart,

sal
OH Mr. Glesser please don't misunderstand me>> I DO NOT WANT A PLAIN EDGED HAWKBILL>> fixed or folder. The only reason I suggested to make it in PE & SE both was because it does seem like we've got a number of the brethren who do like a plain edge unit. It would be fine by me if you all never made another PE Hawkbill... Personally the 4 Hawkbills I use in rotation are all Spyderedged. The only PE Hawkbill I even used just on a few occasions was my vintage, Blue Handled, VG-10 PE SPYERHAWK>> but I've pretty much put it into retirement. I know that Ceya's design has a prototype of a PE Hawkbill but I can assure you that he would be fine with a Spyderedged unit as well>> I'm sure 98% of us would be.

I would love to see a Spyderedged Swick Hawkbill>> I believe that would be an excellent model for most people to learn with. And the reason I went along with David on his suggestion of a JUMPMASTER HAWKBILL is because that model is a mega-beast in SE and I do believe a Hawkbill version would be just as good or maybe better. Just wanted to clear the air :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would like to retract the reverse hawkbill Swick idea. Ergos were no good with the Swick handle.

Standard hawkbill it is!!!

-Thomas Jefferson
RLR

Post by RLR »

90B73D37-09EE-4CB0-8B87-CE988C4622EB.jpeg
Here’s a small one I designed and had CKE (Craig Wheatley) make up for me. Great little all ‘round blade. I’d be in for a Spyder of some description.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RLR wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:49 pm
90B73D37-09EE-4CB0-8B87-CE988C4622EB.jpegHere’s a small one I designed and had CKE (Craig Wheatley) make up for me. Great little all ‘round blade. I’d be in for a Spyder of some description.
That's pretty much similar to the SWICK model we've been discussing.

If we do have a SWICK sized Hawkbill I do hope it has a lot of curve in it.
RLR

Post by RLR »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:14 am
RLR wrote:
90B73D37-09EE-4CB0-8B87-CE988C4622EB.jpegHere’s a small one I designed and had CKE (Craig Wheatley) make up for me. Great little all ‘round blade. I’d be in for a Spyder of some description.

In size maybe. But it’s based more on an exaggerated “Sway Back Jack” pattern. Very different feel in hand. I use it for pruning, cutting off suckers, things like that. I guess it depends on intended use. For me the smaller Spyderco fixed blades can’t be beat. A larger hawk in sheath would be challenging to create and draw. Even this one is finicky. I’m sure Sal and crew could pull it off (and out!) I think Sal mentioned this above too.
E465DF7A-6147-4351-8204-699DDFA62F6F.jpeg
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

RLR wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:53 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:14 am
RLR wrote:

In size maybe. But it’s based more on an exaggerated “Sway Back Jack” pattern. Very different feel in hand. I use it for pruning, cutting off suckers, things like that. I guess it depends on intended use. For me the smaller Spyderco fixed blades can’t be beat. A larger hawk in sheath would be challenging to create and draw. Even this one is finicky. I’m sure Sal and crew could pull it off (and out!) I think Sal mentioned this above too.

E465DF7A-6147-4351-8204-699DDFA62F6F.jpeg
Thank you!!! You are really helping to make my case that SE Hawkbills and I guess to some extent PE Hawkbills are great tools for lawn and garden chores. I'm just hearing it over and over and from many different sectors of lawn, garden & landscaping people too.

And your point on Spyderco's small fixed blades is well taken because I've been screaming for a Spyderedged version of the STREETBEAT and SWICK models for quite some time now. But premium Hawkbills like Spyderco's should be in major lawn & garden catalogs like A.M. Leonard and Felco.