Your Spyderco Thanksgiving EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Your Spyderco Thanksgiving EDC

Post by vivi »

These two plus my BM Azeria which I forgot to include:

The Rev has been growing on me. I like the tools and the locking feature of the Rebar better, but the clip and light weight make the Rev very convenient to carry. I've been keeping the Rebar in my camping pack and EDCing the Rev.
:unicorn
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

Manix 2 in M4 with my own "Sea glass" colored dye job on the scales.

KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:07 pm
I'm still thinking about buying a Sprig.
As Bloke said, if you can still grab one at a decent price thats a decision I don't think you'll regret.

K12P stole the show last night. It had my bird completely done in about 5 minutes. Big enough to remove and plate an entire breast intact with, sharp enough to easily slice through without disturbing the skin at all.
sinnyc wrote: Manix 2 in M4 with my own "Sea glass" colored dye job on the scales.
Looks great sinnyc! Reminds me of a specific lamp I remember from my grandparents house as a child. Love seeing everyone's jade dye projects.
UserNameBill

Post by UserNameBill »

Native 5 CPM S90V.
Dull men carry Dull knives. A Man is only as sharp as his Knife.
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:12 am
sinnyc wrote: Manix 2 in M4 with my own "Sea glass" colored dye job on the scales.
Looks great sinnyc! Reminds me of a specific lamp I remember from my grandparents house as a child. Love seeing everyone's jade dye projects.
Thank you although it had far more to do with serendipity than skill :)

I had requests for how I got the color so I thought I'd post the info here.

First off, I doubt I could reproduce this :D

The knife started out as the Blade HQ Manix 2 M4 with Natural G10 scales. The first owner dyed them orange but the color penetration wasn't great so it ended up looking like this: https://imgur.com/a/j5jS9Ml

When I got it, I used RIT color remover. That took the color down a few notches but came nowhere close to removing all of it. I had originally planned to dye the scales black, so that's what I began to do. As I continued to check the progress, I realized the combo of colors was producing this translucent green that reminded me of sea=worn glass I've found along the beach. I decided to stop where it is now and I'm pleased with the result.

I think I probably had the scales in the black RIT for 90 minutes and, honestly, I'm not sure how much darker they would have become anyway.

So the recipe is
  1. (1) poorly dyed set of scales
  2. (2) hours in color remover
  3. (90) minutes in black
  4. ....."Sea Glass"!
- sinnyc
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I was carrying the St. Nick's red Delica and a Douk Douk knife. I gifted the DD to my sister-in-law. It has a strong backspring and I'm a little afraid she's going to cut off her finger. But she seemed pleased.
The St. Nick's is my favorite Delica. With this weekend's sale it's an awesome deal.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I changed my mind at the last minute and stuck a Delica in my pocket. I am constantly amazed at how good this knife really is.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050