Lil Native Lightweight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FullFlatMind

Re: Lil Native Lightweight?

Post by FullFlatMind »

Yes please! I would guess that we can expect something similar to the Para 3 LW. BD1N with black FRN and deep carry wire clip. I would LOVE to see a Salt version with LC200N, choil/spine jimping, and in orange FRN (something different than the yellow).
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:59 am
Hi EZ,

Welcome to our forum.

Eric is working on one.

sal

Anyone see a prototype of this at Blade??? Very excited for this one. Especially in Salt form!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

I would go for a frn lil native with 52100 or Superblue steel and AFI thin grind. That would be dreamy😍
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
lionesser

Post by lionesser »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:55 am
I would love a lil native lw with wire clip
+1 in backlock version for me. M4 or cts-xhp preferred.

*added steel preference
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Currently, in the catalog, the G-10 Lil' Native shows the tip-up wire clip paired with the compression lock and the 4-position solid steel clip paired with the backlock. I like both locks but I really want the wire clip with the Lil' Native, so I'll be happy if they keep the same combinations they show with the G-10 model. I'd really love to see it in a steel like XHP or M4 but won't be able to resist snapping it up in S30V if that comes first.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is such a great little knife. If you don’t have one already you should buy one. And I got the back lock and it is just as nice as a knife could ever be. The grinds are good, the centering is good, the fit and finish are excellent. And this life just feels good in the hand because it’s a little thicker and bigger than the dragonfly overall.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm thinking about a small second knife to clip into a jacket or sturdy shirt chest pocket to use when it's not convenient to get to a pants pocket or when a small knife is all that's needed. So I'm hoping it'll be a little lighter than the LW Para 3, CF Chaparral, LW Sage 5, LW Native 5, and G-10 Lil' Native, which are all ~ 2.5 oz plus or minus ~ 0.2 oz. Maybe ~2.1 oz, like the LW Chaparral. Really just thinking of excuses to buy one ;)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

sal wrote:
Hi EZ,

Welcome to our forum.

Eric is working on one.

sal
does this mean he is working on a backlock :( or the compression lock version :D for a LW. just fyi i am only interested in the compression lock or the slipit only.
20cv/m390/204p would be awesome, or cruwear, xhp, s35vn, even bd1n to keep costs down.

please for the love of spyderco do not ruin the lil native, most of your catalog is lockbacks. i get that alot of people like them but no more. if you want a lil native backlock buy a dragonfly. i have been waiting for the knives everyone talks about to finally come in a decent lock and it hasnt happened please do not take anymore knives and convert them to something i am not interested in.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:45 pm
sal wrote:
Hi EZ,

Welcome to our forum.

Eric is working on one.

sal
does this mean he is working on a backlock :( or the compression lock version :D for a LW. just fyi i am only interested in the compression lock or the slipit only.
20cv/m390/204p would be awesome, or cruwear, xhp, s35vn, even bd1n to keep costs down.

please for the love of spyderco do not ruin the lil native, most of your catalog is lockbacks. i get that alot of people like them but no more. if you want a lil native backlock buy a dragonfly. i have been waiting for the knives everyone talks about to finally come in a decent lock and it hasnt happened please do not take anymore knives and convert them to something i am not interested in.

Our old discussion, my friend... :D

I totally hope for you, that the Lil Native LW will come with a comp. lock (and NOT only cause I am not interested in this model anyway..).
But generally speaking: Too MANY interesting models do come (only) with a comp. lock already imho: Shaman... Caribbean... Kapara... Ouroboros...

The bigger and "workhorsey" a knife is, the less I like that tbh.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the para 3 is only one ounce heavier than the lw model. so, a lil native lw stands to lose even less than one ounce. why is a lw even necessary? with such a stout, overbuilt blade, the lil native shouldn’t be lighter than it is. there are plenty of lighter knives that are thinner and less robust. why take a robust little knife and make it less sturdy just to save less than one ounce?

i don’t have anything against lw models. my favorite knife is my manix 2 lw. but the manix 2 lw is almost a full lil native lighter than the g10 version. honestly, even two ounces seems pretty negligible though. i just don’t get it. the size and shape in the pocket make a bigger difference than a little bit of weight.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:02 am
the para 3 is only one ounce heavier than the lw model. so, a lil native lw stands to lose even less than one ounce. why is a lw even necessary? with such a stout, overbuilt blade, the lil native shouldn’t be lighter than it is. there are plenty of lighter knives that are thinner and less robust. why take a robust little knife and make it less sturdy just to save less than one ounce?

i don’t have anything against lw models. my favorite knife is my manix 2 lw. but the manix 2 lw is almost a full lil native lighter than the g10 version. honestly, even two ounces seems pretty negligible though. i just don’t get it. the size and shape in the pocket make a bigger difference than a little bit of weight.

I'd get it if they'll make it a comp. lock plus lw. Would be an alternative for those who don't like the backlock on the DFly (though the blade of the Lil Native would still be overbuilt as you rightly say).

Then I think FRN (especially bidirectionally textured) is a clearly superior handle material compared to G10 (just for me).

Lastly, it MAKES a difference if a knife is just light or VERY light when carried for example unclipped in a very light cloth zippered pocket. Or clipped in the pocket of a rather loose running short pocket...

I personally do not need a Lil Native lw though. And if, I'd want a backlock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:02 am

I disagree that it would be unnecessary, and I don’t think it would take away much of its robustness. If a knife weighs 8 ounces and they shave off 2 ounces by your logic that would be a much better weight savings than a 2 ounce knife that lost .5 ounces, but both knives had a 25% weight reduction. Granted, when comparing the Manix vs Para LWs, the Manix did have a higher percentage weight loss, but there was a lot more fat to shave on the Manix. The point is that making an already lightweight knife lighter like the Lil’ Native would be worth it to make it friendlier with thin material like running attire or shirt pockets etc as mentioned. The bigger factor however would be cost. The Manix 2 saw a 18% price decrease. The Para 3 saw a 32% price decrease when it got the LW treatment and the Native 5 saw a 35% decrease. If the Lil’ Native was to see a similar price decrease to the Para 3 (comp lock example) or Native 5 (backlock example) it would go from $117 MAP to $80 for a comp lock and $126 MAP to $82 for the backlock.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’d get an $80 Lil’ Native all day long, that’s only like $20 more than a VG10 Dragonfly, and you’d be getting likely better steel, better manufacturing and in my opinion much better ergonomics.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Any word about this? In the other thread everybody seems to be thinking the Salt version is coming out first... If this is the case, I agree with FullFlatMind in that I'd like something different from the pale yellow FRN... orange would be great... but I'm hoping that it will come out so soon that it's far too late for input :)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Well, thats the first time I've ever heard the yellow FRN used in the Salt series referred to as "Pale." :D

I'd be happy with the usual yellow FRN, but I'd buy one in orange too. :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 pm
Well, thats the first time I've ever heard the yellow FRN used in the Salt series referred to as "Pale." :D

I'd be happy with the usual yellow FRN, but I'd buy one in orange too. :spyder:

No offense intended ;) and I'm not really crazy about orange either, but would like for them to be as saturated as convenient. Really I'd like brown, brick, burnt orange, OD or some other earth tone. But I figured the choice on a first run would be black FRN or, if Salt, black/black or yellow.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I still need to get a Lil Native Backlock. Looks like it’s built like a smaller M2 Backlock, which is possibly my all time favorite Spyderco.
Edward_Scissorhands

Post by Edward_Scissorhands »

Sounds good to me! I love my N5 LW. I prefer backlocks for all carry blades, due to their closing bias. Wire clip would be great, too!
AmpliFyre

Post by AmpliFyre »

With the lil native shot glass, I hope to see that lc200n put into a production knife.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'll gladly buy the first one that comes out... except the one with shot glass scales ;)