Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Spyderco used by Navy SEAL and British SAS

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Go with FFG.

I love the way a saber grind looks. I went out of my way to find a saber ground Manix because it looked so cool. Then when I went to use it and compared it to my FFG Manix I was so disappointed.
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

Last edited by kernelpanic on Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 pm
The Navy Seals I personally know are fond of the Automatic Microtech knives. The ones that pop out of the handle and then pop back in. I showed one of them my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and he said oh yeah take a look at this. Yes I do know actual real life seals not wanna be pretenders.

I know a lot of wanna be pretenders.
sal

Post by sal »

In defense of saber grinds, they do have their advantages in strength. Both tip and blade.

sal
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

Last edited by kernelpanic on Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:31 am
Go with FFG.

I love the way a saber grind looks. I went out of my way to find a saber ground Manix because it looked so cool. Then when I went to use it and compared it to my FFG Manix I was so disappointed.
In what way were you dissapointed in the Sabre grind ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

We aren't allowed automatic knives here in Aus.

How do they go when dirty, full of dirt, Mud, grit etc ? Are they AK47 types, work anywhere in any condition or like the Steve, suffered when wet or dirty because the tolerances too close/good ?

Personally on a lot of things, I use new technology / designs (GPS/Spring assisted knives) but like and keep old technology (Compass/good old, basic, boring, never fail fixed blades or simple folders.)
Last edited by 500Nitro on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

Last edited by kernelpanic on Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I don't mind saber grinds if they're aggressively ground. I'm not a big fan of saber grinds that end up .025 behind the edge and the quickly get to full thickness.
Also not a big fan of saber grinds on smaller knives like the Delica. That said, I do enjoy my ss Delica.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:47 pm
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:31 am
Go with FFG.

In what way were you dissapointed in the Sabre grind ?
It was no where near as good at slicing cardboard as the FFG. Disposing of cardboard is something I use a knife for allot.

The FFG Took far less effort especially with the thick stuff. My Brother liked the way the knife looked so it became a gift.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Archimedes wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:45 pm
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:07 pm
The Navy Seals I personally know are fond of the Automatic Microtech knives. The ones that pop out of the handle and then pop back in. I showed one of them my Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and he said oh yeah take a look at this. Yes I do know actual real life seals not wanna be pretenders.

I know a lot of wanna be pretenders.
Come to Florida and buy the beers I’ll introduce you. The ones I know personally are retired, the ones I meet now and then that are still active tend to come and go. Some you would never think are Seals they come in all shapes and sizes.

I did ask one what he carried in combat and what length was best, he replied fixed blade 5 inches was perfect, they also used non magnetic blades for mines some titanium.