New? Immerse!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

New? Immerse!

Post by sal »

I'd like to offer a suggestion, at least to some of the newer members.

The world of knives is vast. The doorway in may be smaller, but the cavern that it opens into has a great deal to offer. As you keep an open mind and observe and learn, one finds: differences in steel and the "why", handle materials, ergonomics, mechanical (locks, opening methods, etc.), performance, edge geometries and a host of other courses in knife 101 to PHD studies.

I have observed that when someone is new, at least to this forum (and probably others as well), The emphasis is on "what I like". If it doesn't meet what "I think is right", then it is passed over, sold or whatever. I have also observed that when one has this view, one is not as open to what the designer may have had in mind. The early days of Spyderco were riddled with objection to the "appearance" of our knives, with nary a thought to the "why". In fact, most knives were selected by the "look" and "What I like the looks of". I say; "too much eye and not enough brain" ;)

We've come a long way with the internet, technology, testing, etc.

What I am suggesting is that when you get a new knife, you use it, sharpen it, live with it, a taste of what the designer had in mind, rather than just how a knife looks, or what you think you like. A simple example would be "clip". Do I like clips? Do I like this clip? What did designer think when he created this clip? shape? material? Tip up or down? Why? These are questions best answered after a fair amount of use. You might find that you will like something that you thought you might not?

In other words, open you mind and experience fully the new "thing" in spirit, design, materials, ergonomics, cutting power, ease of carry, deployment, learn "new", get out of your comfort zone. In this way you get more out of the hobby and interest in the world of knives. You also get to converse with the many here already doing the same thing.

sal
garret

Re: New? Immerse!

Post by garret »

Salt, with your permission I'll try. After almost a month using a G10 manix the cbbl is in my opinion one of the best locks that exist. I do not mean just its strength, also because of its ease of use and softness. I think that knives of smaller size would be perfect. The possibility of using the lock with one hand and so soft action make it a perfect tool. Do you think it would be possible to reduce the size of the ball? I also have a dodo but I would like something the size of a dragon fly. Surely all this is nonsense but I had to try. a greeting
m6steen

Post by m6steen »

Good advice Sal. For me, this will be the Para 3. As a lefty, the Para series has historically not been a good fit. I've tried the Para 2 Left Hand, but as good as it feels, it's still in that 3.5" anti-goldilocks zone for me where I'd rather carry something larger like the Military or the Police 4, or smaller like the Native or UKPK. After purchasing some Para 3s at the Seconds Sale, I've decided to keep one because it feels better than the Para 2 to me.
Matt

C07 Police 4 | FRN K390
C41 Native 5 | Never Summer/NFFF
C94 UK Penknife | BD1N

Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:42 pm
I'd like to offer a suggestion, at least to some of the newer members.

The world of knives is vast. The doorway in may be smaller, but the cavern that it opens into has a great deal to offer. As you keep an open mind and observe and learn, one finds: differences in steel and the "why", handle materials, ergonomics, mechanical (locks, opening methods, etc.), performance, edge geometries and a host of other courses in knife 101 to PHD studies.

I have observed that when someone is new, at least to this forum (and probably others as well), The emphasis is on "what I like". If it doesn't meet what "I think is right", then it is passed over, sold or whatever. I have also observed that when one has this view, one is not as open to what the designer may have had in mind. The early days of Spyderco were riddled with objection to the "appearance" of our knives, with nary a thought to the "why". In fact, most knives were selected by the "look" and "What I like the looks of". I say; "too much eye and not enough brain" ;)

We've come a long way with the internet, technology, testing, etc.

What I am suggesting is that when you get a new knife, you use it, sharpen it, live with it, a taste of what the designer had in mind, rather than just how a knife looks, or what you think you like. A simple example would be "clip". Do I like clips? Do I like this clip? What did designer think when he created this clip? shape? material? Tip up or down? Why? These are questions best answered after a fair amount of use. You might find that you will like something that you thought you might not?

In other words, open you mind and experience fully the new "thing" in spirit, design, materials, ergonomics, cutting power, ease of carry, deployment, learn "new", get out of your comfort zone. In this way you get more out of the hobby and interest in the world of knives. You also get to converse with the many here already doing the same thing.

sal
Thanks for the words of wisdom!

After just passing the 1 year mark into this hobby. ..I've come to a lot of your points on my own! Through reading, watching, and (most importantly) using the knives I've amassed. I'm the first to admit that I wasn't interested in any Spyderco products because of "looks" (besides blue weave Domino )in the first few months . The more reliable info I acquired, From reviews and the forums, Spyderco's quality and function kept coming up! So I bought a Tenacious for my son and a S110v Manix 2 G10 for myself. Once I stared using the manix my internal "light bulb " went on! I realized the quality, ergonomics, variety, and function of spyderco designs far surpassed other makers (IMHO ).

There have been many other "moments " over the last year that have altered my heading in this hobby. I'm sure there will be more changes to come as time moves on...But Spyderco will always account for a majority of my knives!

James
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Collectors / flippers just got slapped by the boss :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Great advice from the Master himself!

I never thought I'd use a pocket clip (the early cast-in FRN versions were a turn-off for me), but after living with a clipped knife I liked for a while it became an almost must-have feature.

I thought that a nail nick was a perfectly good way of opening a knife, but after using a thumb stud and then Spyderhole, once again I realized the value of this new feature and began to seek it out.

The Para 3 looked stubby and ugly to me at first (I had envisioned a lil' Para 2 that was a fully scaled version of the original, rather than a truncated one), so I gave it a pass for almost two years, once I held it in my hand it became an instant favorite.

Really, knives aside the willingness to stretch your boundaries and be open to new experiences is a great way to live... much more interesting than being set in your ways! This doesn't mean you shouldn't have established favorites, or defend things you think are best as they are, just that you should consider that response fully before discounting the unaccustomed way.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Great wisdom Sal. I'm pretty new to Spyderco and my taste in knives is slowly developing, and not always the way I think it will.

Take the Native 5 for example. I bought the Maxamet version solely for the steel. The design was okay but nothing too special to me. I've been using it quite regularly over the past year now, and my thoughts have definitely shifted with the experience of day to day use. I more fully appreciate the fine points of design that before, passed over my head. The finger choil, the shape of the handle with its chamferred finger grooves, the slightly negative blade angle, the flat spine and precisely placed opening hole, the strong and solid backlock - it's all part of a package every bit of which gives evidence of years of careful thought and planning. I wouldn't call it my "knife to end all knives" so to speak (that title may have to be reserved for the hopeful Native Chief) but it is a great design that I thoroughly enjoy using.

It's what I like best about Spyderco - their total focus on high performance, whether it be the steel, lock type, handle ergonomics, blade grind, anything. Keep up the amazing work Sal, Eric, and the rest! :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I use me knives, they are sharpened frequently, dropped frequently, and then they are dulled again and it’s all rinse and repeat! I know them like the back of my hand, and I wouldn’t change a thing about them, they are the most used tool I have, that is always in my pocket ready to go. The quality of my Spyderco knives are phenomenal. I’m a fairly new fanboy to the company, the function, looks, materials used, everything about it.

I own a Spyderco PM2 Blurple S110V, and I own a Spyderco Military Blurple S110V. These knives were both very expensive to me. “Especially for a knife” But, they hold up to hard use! And I am a repeat customer for life Sal.

I love the different colors in the G10, or FRN grips that are based upon what steel the blade may or may not be. I really like the pocket clips, I love how the blades are shaped, ease of opening with just a small touch with my right middle finger. I believe he makes his steel pretty well too. For example, I believe S110V should be around 60-61HRC, and I’ve seen several test showing 63-64HRC.

I think SAL should make a fixed blade knife like this; picture a Spyderco Native 5, only it doesn’t fold closed. It has a fixed blade, and the sheath matches the handle color. And the G10 sheath has a traditional Spyderco pocket clip, only a little larger.

Can you imagine a very thin and light fixed blade with two piece G10 grips. And a color matching Kydex or G10 sheath?
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tps3443 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:51 pm

I think SAL should make a fixed blade knife like this; picture a Spyderco Native 5, only it doesn’t fold closed. It has a fixed blade, and the sheath matches the handle color.

Funny you should say this. Just today I was thinking that the N5 was like a folding knife with the handle ergonomics of a fixed blade, in a compact package.

The only thing I would add about the N5 would be to come out with an XXL version with a 4" blade.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Thanks Sal, the "World of knives" is indeed worth exploring. While Spyderco is by far my favorite manufacturer I have been equally as satisfied with others too. That being said I think I'll immerse my self in the mid year catalog and see what jumps out at me. :D
"No matter where you go, there you are"
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

My first impression of the Native was that I didn't like it. I briefly held one in my hand and thought it didn't fit my hand very well. A couple years later, the Spyderco forum knife was a Native, so I bought one just to have even though I didn't care for the Native after that first encounter. After the forum knife arrived, I started to carry it and it grew on me. Now I have a half dozen Natives! :cool: I'm glad I didn't let that first, brief impression keep me from giving the Native another chance.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

It’s certainly expensive exploring 😁
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

After owning a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 S110V for a month straight, with rough everyday use I really loved it. I thought nothing could be as good!

I decided to purchase a Spyderco Military in S110V. After getting the Military, I liked it, but didn’t really love it!

So, I carried only the Military for just a day or two. I even tested its steel with a cardboard test. I sharpened it to beyond razor sharp and starting cutting paper board, then 378 feet in cardboard and after all that it would still shave.

The Military has grown on me, and I prefer it over my PM2 now. It is my go to! I never thought this would happen upon first holding it.

So, moral of the story; give a knife a real chance. Even if you like another model better. Put the favorite away, and give the new one a real shot. You will most likely appreciate it just as much!

So, my new favorite? Spyderco Military Blurple! Hands down.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

This should be pinned.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Function over form. Always.

The beauty is when you see the beauty in that.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:49 pm

Couldn't agree more. Lookers are nice, but the tool that does the job correctly, comfortably and effortlessly is the reason behind a user's knife.

-Rick
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

For me this is a very topical and interesting post by Sal. I had finally learned that the way a knife is used and how it “fits” the user is most important. Among others, the Rhino and One-Eyed Jack taught me.

Recently, my interests and direction have changed. History, both personal and knife making history, has moved me to new field and ideas. And, it actually began here.

In a post not long ago was a mention of GEC knives. What’s that? I thought so went Googling. After much reading and video of how their knives are made, locally with local people, I was enchanted.

Their modern expressions of knives that I, my father, grandfathers and all of the adult men I grew up knowing just struck some chord. I have three in the mail to me now.

I think the most surprising Spyderco in this regard has to be my Cook’s knife. It’s quickly become a crucial kitchen tool which far exceeded my expectations.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:52 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Lookers are nice, but the tool that does the job correctly, comfortably and effortlessly is the reason behind a user's knife.
Agree with both.

'Users knife' being the two words that km not sure apply to everyone.

I know my first Endura is like an extension of my right hand - and people notice it.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:09 pm
For me this is a very topical and interesting post by Sal. I had finally learned that the way a knife is used and how it “fits” the user is most important. Among others, the Rhino and One-Eyed Jack taught me.

Recently, my interests and direction have changed. History, both personal and knife making history, has moved me to new field and ideas. And, it actually began here.

In a post not long ago was a mention of GEC knives. What’s that? I thought so went Googling. After much reading and video of how their knives are made, locally with local people, I was enchanted.

Their modern expressions of knives that I, my father, grandfathers and all of the adult men I grew up knowing just struck some chord. I have three in the mail to me now.

I think the most surprising Spyderco in this regard has to be my Cook’s knife. It’s quickly become a crucial kitchen tool which far exceeded my expectations.
I admire your small collection Michael. I love that you have stepped totally out of the box of what most people tend to buy and carry, and utilize your knives in the same manner as most others, within the limits of your knives. It's always refreshing to see someone go against the grain in their selections!

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:10 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:52 pm
Eli Chaps wrote:

Agree with both.

'Users knife' being the two words that km not sure apply to everyone.

I know my first Endura is like an extension of my right hand - and people notice it.
Yeaaa...don't even get me barking up that tree :rolleyes:

The more models I buy, and steels I try, I have developed a great appreciation of most of the Spyderco knives in my collection. It takes me a minute or so each morning to decide which knives to carry for the day (Always carry my Chaparral LW with another larger knife of choice)

-Rick