New? Immerse!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundamaniac

Re: New? Immerse!

Post by gundamaniac »

This is an interesting thread and a very good point when it comes to this hobby. When I first started getting into knives and asked my buddy for a recommendation and how to choose a knife, his advice was very simple - just try it out and make sure it feels good in your hand. It wasn't about what looked cool, it was about what worked. And this is where Spyderco excels. Their designs are primarily meant to work first and foremost, and form follows function. I have been learning much more lately and what has been helping me is to actually get the knife in hand to really experience the design; doing so has really helped me appreciate many designs that I had previously dismissed or glossed over.

Sal makes a great point that one can experience the knife, but the concept and design are separate. There have been times where I have loved designs from some companies but the execution just fell short; this left me disappointed with the individual knife specimen, but did not affect my appreciation for the design itself. Luckily, from what I've seen so far, Spyderco doesn't disappoint on execution so that I can appreciate the design to its fullest when I use a Spyderco.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:09 pm
Plato ( Socrates ) was one of my earlier mentors.

sal
Ditto

When I was 10 I had a hard time in school because my reading was a bit beyond the level of my teachers. :D

I appreciate you knives, Sal. Thank you. Many of them are the most practical and useable knives I have ever owned or used.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ferider

Post by ferider »

So how do YOU do it, Sal, once a knife comes out of the factory, when you carry it for test ?

I mean, there is such a lerge spectrum of designs you have to try. For me, some of your knives fit me like a glove, I can use them blindly, comfort blankies, really. I carry them, use, sharpen and pimp them, they get scratches and marks, and I like them even more. Others feel cumbersome, even if I try hard, in particular the smaller ones. For example, I have that CF ZDP Caly 3.5, such a beautiful design, but pretty much useless for me, Immersion impossible.

Just wondering how you Immerse in the large functional variety coming out of your shop.

Roland.