Experiment: Try open carrying a fixed blade for a week

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
murphjd25

Re: Experiment: Try open carrying a fixed blade for a week

Post by murphjd25 »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 pm
You guys are really making me want to order myself a Junction for Chistmas :D
You better do it while their still available and cheap! I’m SOOOO happy I picked one up!
Josh
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:05 pm
It is clear in Cali that you can wear a fixed blade from your waistband as long as it shows. Once it goes in the pocket it becomes concealed and off to trouble town you go. There doesn't seem to be much restriction on folder length, however, same rule applies it has to be visible on your person to be legal.
This part is incorrect. State law allows you to carry a folder concealed unless the knife is locked in its open position. But I don't know many people that would want to carry a folder in the open position while in their pocket. :eek: In fact, Los Angeles law requires you to carry your knife concealed if it's 3" or longer (you may not carry them "in plain sight"). Obviously, since state law also applies, you would be limited to a sub-3" fixed blade in LA to comply with both state (fixed blades must be visible) and local (knives with blades 3" or over must *not* be visible) laws.

Now, laws can be more restrictive on a city to city, or case to case basis (for example, there are further restrictions when carrying on state or local public buildings -such as having a 4" limit on locking folders- or on school grounds -which has a 2.5" limit and can't lock open-), but general California state law doesn't prohibit the concealed carry of folders, no matter the length.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Day 4, still going good. Haven’t even had a complaint from any of my customers at work yet either.
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi my spirit is willing but the peer pressure where I'm currently working probably would cause some raised eyebrows. And I do think it' a psychological thing because my STREETBEAT blade isn't much longer than the one on my M390 Military. I carry the M390 Military while rotating my Stainless RESCUE spyderedged model along with my yellow handled Spyderhawk SE. And I never hear a peep about when I use those folders. But the two times I've had fixed blades I actually had one of the ladies act like she was scared of it :confused: go figure??? :rolleyes:

I just kind of play it by ear so to speak. And this is all coming from a guy who is 1000% pro-Second Amendment, pro gun, pro knife, pro-Constitution ( the way it was originally written) >> and yes I believe the Second Amendment fully applies to knives as well as it does guns IMO. IT is a horrible shame that so many people are literally brainwashed by the mainstream media and can't seem to think for themselves.

Now with one of the shorter blades like a SWICK I could probably pull that one off. But so far they don't provide the SWICK in Spyderedge :confused:
There are certain advantages to fixed blades and I'm loving them more and more as time goes on. But overall they are pretty lenient with me concerning knives. I also think there is a lot of irrational discrimination against Hawkbill and Reverse S blades out there as well. As well as automatics ( switchblades) which to me is just outright hogwash :mad:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I hear you JD. Everyone has to use their own sense of discretion.

I avoid switchblades, even though I've been able to legally carry them basically everywhere I've lived. To me they draw extra attention, while not providing any advantages over a manual operation knife like your Millies. I can open either just as fast.

I mostly carry small fixed blades and large folders. To me it makes sense to try to pack as much blade length as possible in the folding knife, given a 4" blade folder carries a lot more easily than the same sized fixed blade.

I've been carrying a Swick 3 or BM Azeria since I started this thread. I haven't had any issues. I've been making a point to reach for them over my Police when I'm breaking down boxes, opening mail and other misc EDC tasks that don't require the belly or blade length of my Police.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:19 pm
I hear you JD. Everyone has to use their own sense of discretion.

I avoid switchblades, even though I've been able to legally carry them basically everywhere I've lived. To me they draw extra attention, while not providing any advantages over a manual operation knife like your Millies. I can open either just as fast.

I mostly carry small fixed blades and large folders. To me it makes sense to try to pack as much blade length as possible in the folding knife, given a 4" blade folder carries a lot more easily than the same sized fixed blade.

I've been carrying a Swick 3 or BM Azeria since I started this thread. I haven't had any issues. I've been making a point to reach for them over my Police when I'm breaking down boxes, opening mail and other misc EDC tasks that don't require the belly or blade length of my Police.
And please don't get me wrong VIVI because I'm in complete agreement with you especially in work situations where you actually could use one and it would save a lot of time too.

When it comes to Automatics ( Switchblades) it really makes me angry. Because all they are is a spring loaded device that gives you the ability to deploy your knife a lot better in most cases. They are so misunderstood IMO. However now that we have a lot of really premium units on the market and some of them made by very respectable knife makers. Take a look a the PROTECH lineup for instance. Others that are worth looking at are MICROTECH and even Benchmade has some decent autos>> and now we also have Spyderco themselves coming on board with some really decent AUTOS. If they could ever get rid of those ridiculous laws and get away from the cheap junk, rickity carnival grade crap that most people relate to AUTOS I do believe we could soon see a new public attitude develop>> and I hope I'm right.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I accidentally forgot to take my 4 inch fixed knife off my belt one day before walking into a service station. oops police followed me in. Luckily I managed to talk my way out of the charge. In reality it shouldn't have been on my belt in the car but when working it is just part of you and you forget. Stupid nanny laws.
RobDigi

Post by RobDigi »

Not in Joisey
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mini2white wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:58 pm
I accidentally forgot to take my 4 inch fixed knife off my belt one day before walking into a service station. oops police followed me in. Luckily I managed to talk my way out of the charge. In reality it shouldn't have been on my belt in the car but when working it is just part of you and you forget. Stupid nanny laws.
Sorry you had to deal with that. Where I live I wouldn't have gotten a second look.

Crazy how much laws can vary from country to country, or even state to state. Some states you have to conceal your knives, others you have to openly carry them.
:unicorn
boamedt

Post by boamedt »

I live in cali, and carry a variety of fixed blades and folders. Suprisingly no one has ever said anything. All the fixed blades are 4-6 inches and while they are not flashy, im not a big fan of plain looking knives/handles...im sure people see them. Now if i had a katana on my back...