Just joined from the UK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Just joined from the UK

Post by JD Spydo »

We used to have another gent from the UK. He went by the name UK Ken and he is a great guy and I hope he returns at some point. Always glad to have another member of the Spyderville community. Welcome aboard!
Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

PM2 has arrived...I have changed it to tip up and now I am good to go.....I like the compression lock so I am looking for another similar to the PM2 but with a hollow grind......what are the options if any? ....is there an online catalogue somewhere?
vivi

Post by vivi »

All PM2's have a full flat grind. If you want a hollow ground knife that's a similar size you could try a serrated Pacific Salt. Many of us here who weren't originally a big fan of serrations became converts when we tried that model....myself included.

Welcome to the forum by the way!
:unicorn
Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:23 am
All PM2's have a full flat grind. If you want a hollow ground knife that's a similar size you could try a serrated Pacific Salt. Many of us here who weren't originally a big fan of serrations became converts when we tried that model....myself included.

Welcome to the forum by the way!
Pacific salt is back lock ....I am looking for hollow grind with compression lock ;) it seems there are not many to choose from....Maybe I might try a the Manix 2 ball bearing lock ....I had a Benchmade Freek with axis lock which was similar
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ah, didn't realize you were looking for a specific lock type as well.

In that case, I have a model in mind for you to consider: https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c70g ... ly-1-left/

The caged ball bearing lock on the Manix series is really nice. In fact I find myself preferring it to the compression lock. I like locks that snap the blade shut with authority, and the ball bearing lock does that nicely.
:unicorn
Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:02 am
Ah, didn't realize you were looking for a specific lock type as well.

In that case, I have a model in mind for you to consider: https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c70g ... ly-1-left/

The caged ball bearing lock on the Manix series is really nice. In fact I find myself preferring it to the compression lock. I like locks that snap the blade shut with authority, and the ball bearing lock does that nicely.
That spyderdisco is not showing as being in stock ...the 1 left must be NONE left now :(
Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

I have found a hollow grind Manix 2 with carbon scales ...would have been better if it had a black blade so maybe I will buy 2 and swap the blades around
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Chandelierman wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:06 am
PM2 has arrived...I have changed it to tip up and now I am good to go.....I like the compression lock so I am looking for another similar to the PM2 but with a hollow grind......what are the options if any? ....is there an online catalogue somewhere?
There's a great searchable online catalog. In case you haven't already found it, just click spyderco.com at the top of this forum page, then click on Resources. Also, they're broken down by categories under Products, one of my favorite categories being Archived (discontinued). And if you really get obsessive about it, you can get a bunch of info at spydiewiki.com, especially http://spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=Spyderco_C-SKUs
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

DougC-3 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:40 am
Chandelierman wrote:
There's a great searchable online catalog. In case you haven't already found it, just click spyderco.com at the top of this forum page, then click on Resources. Also, they're broken down by categories under Products, one of my favorite categories being Archived (discontinued). And if you really get obsessive about it, you can get a bunch of info at spydiewiki.com, especially http://spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=Spyderco_C-SKUs
Yeah I have seen that but it shows every category apart from locking mechanism.....but I do use my phone most of the time to access the forum,maybe I might get more options on my PC?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Chandelierman wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:10 am
DougC-3 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:40 am
Chandelierman wrote:
Yeah I have seen that but it shows every category apart from locking mechanism.....but I do use my phone most of the time to access the forum,maybe I might get more options on my PC?
Just go to blade HQ. You can sort Spyderco Folding, lock type, and more
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

I have decided to try out the ball lock so I have just ordered a new a Manix 2 in G10 today from my usual supplier ....I am struggling to find any dealers across the pond who are willing to ship to the UK and I am very wary about buying on Ebay ...I have joined another couple of forums looking for anything nearby that I can look at before buying but I can't find anything .... I have a PM1 and PM2 both in digicam ...I know of a used digicam PM2 for sale which I considered buying and changing the scales but I can't even find any for sale over here in the UK
Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

I’ve bought a few more this week ...Resilience/ Matriarch 2 / dragonfly G10 / UKPK S110V / Tenacious all black / Tenacious part serrated/ Manix 2 clear blue handle / Manix 2 all black / Endura part serrated
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I think This is what is referred to as "catching the bug" 😂
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Chandelierman

Post by Chandelierman »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:23 pm
I think This is what is referred to as "catching the bug" 😂
Yeah ... a Spyder is a bug :) .... I just got a few different ones so I can see what blade / lock / scales and overall size I prefer ... a few I will keep and the rest I will either sell or trade .... I like the compression lock best so I think a Yojimbo will be coming through the post soon and I am still looking for a Pits ... a few on eBay for under $150 but even though it is one of the only UK legal knives they don’t let us buy from the UK