Reality-Check please: Are our VG10 Knives slowly poisoning us?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anagarika

Re: Reality-Check please: Are our VG10 Knives slowly poisoning us?

Post by anagarika »

samdasnake wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:08 am
anagarika wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:08 am
SEF,

I think metal filings (as result of sharpening) isn’t fine enough to be absorbed by skin.
I think he was talking about metal fillings in your teeth (i.e. silver mercury amalgam), not metal filings fromknife sharpening.
Thank you. I reread again and you are right.
Chris :spyder:
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:54 pm
JD and demoncase: Without wanting to get this off topic, the issue of metal fillings is another one that I was thinking of. You see, the metal amalgam seem to have the upside that , because they are metal, they are less-prone to fracturing-type of failures, than the ceramic. But, I have read and heard claims of toxicity of the metal. In short, can a person with metal fillings have a good degree of confidence that they will not get any major negative effects in their body over time due to metal leaching into the blood stream? I ask because I had to get fillings and I chose the metal-amalgam over the ceramic. The dentist gave me the choice and said "The ceramic is often chosen more because it has better cosmetic-appearance but the amalgam metal is probably more durable over time." I went with metal over ceramic. Interesting for someone like me who is always looking for the latest advances in ceramics for knives, eh? :)
There's two schools of thought:
1. Mercury is bad and any amount of mercury (even that in your fillings) is bad thus amalgam fillings are bad.
2. Mercury is bad but for the 60-100 years we're likely to live being able to a pin a particular illness or disorder directly to the tiny amount of mercury in your fillings compared to the myriad daily exposures to other things is unlikely in the extreme.

I have 8 fillings. 7 are metal. One is composite-ceramic.
I worry about them only when I eat peanut brittle or find a pit in a cherry.

EDIT: I should add- the last person in real life who mentioned being worried about the mercury in their fillings to me at work had (not 3 days before) been talking about respraying his VW Camper van and "Not bothering with these pointless bloody facemasks" because he was doing it outside....but he did remember not to spark up a smoke until the fumes had cleared.
:rolleyes:
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

Interesting article:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2477708/

Radioactive cobalt 60 ended up in rebar for a huge apartment complex. They were exposed for years. They first expected a catastrophe but no adverse effects have been noted. Residents were actually healthier than baseline.

G27
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Thank you both, demoncase for the information on the fillings, and Glock27 about the cobalt steel effects.