Edge retention.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Edge retention.

Post by tps3443 »

I’m off today, so I got bored and decided to cut up some empty boxes. Testing out my Spyderco Military. Edge retention seems obviously better on this than my PM2 in the same steel? Right after I got this Military, I resharpened it and stropped it too. So no factory edge at all.

I cut up 4 boxes in tiny piece. It took me about 2 hours lol. Off and on.

And it still easily shaves! Not even the slightest loss in sharpness!

I’m really liking this knife, it is growing on me a lot. Anyways, it’s anazing how long a knife will stay razor sharp. How cool is that? Before I was in to knives, I never thought such a thing was possible.

“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
TkoK83Spy

Re: Edge retention.

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Makes me wonder if it's the steel or the edge you put on it, or a combination of both. I posted a couple days ago, how I find it a bit weird that I can use a knife at work to cut some cardboard, plastic pallet strapping, packaging tape and shrink wrap...by the end of the day no knife I have is hair shaving sharp. Whether it's VG10 or 4V or anything in between. I don't have anything in S110V...I must be doing something wrong with sharpening.

Nice test though! Always fun to see what their capable of.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:06 pm
Makes me wonder if it's the steel or the edge you put on it, or a combination of both. I posted a couple days ago, how I find it a bit weird that I can use a knife at work to cut some cardboard, plastic pallet strapping, packaging tape and shrink wrap...by the end of the day no knife I have is hair shaving sharp. Whether it's VG10 or 4V or anything in between. I don't have anything in S110V...I must be doing something wrong with sharpening.

Get a Serrated blade for what you do.
I do the same type of cutting plus rope every day
hardly ever sharpen.
I use an old version 1 of the Endura in Aus 8.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's far more likely you're seeing a difference/growth in sharpening skill than any real difference between the two knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:12 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Get a Serrated blade for what you do.
I do the same type of cutting plus rope every day
hardly ever sharpen.
I use an old version 1 of the Endura in Aus 8.
Hmmm, I will give that a try next week. I only have 1 SE knife, but I typically use it for camping and yard work (Salt 2 SE) I'll definitely give it a shot and see how I make out with it. Thanks!

-Rick
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

At work I use my knives a lot too. I’m cutting similar things as you do. Plus those thick black straps, and oftentimes the green fiberglass ones. It’s a whole ton of cutting really! If I freshly sharpen S110V it’ll make it through 1 day at work and still shave when I get home. And I can run that same edge a 2nd day without sharpening or touching it up.

I like my knives sharp so 2 days of work, I need to touch the S110V up, by stropping it.

I got tired of stropping every 2 days, so I bought this 2nd model in the same steel. So now, if there stropped on Sunday night, I can just barely make it to Friday with sharp edges through the whole week. We will see how it goes lol.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Evil D wrote:
It's far more likely you're seeing a difference/growth in sharpening skill than any real difference between the two knives.
You might be right.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I’d like to try serrated but, I don’t know how to sharpen it. I know it takes a while to dull it. Hopefully Wicked edge will make something soon.

Seems like they could make rounded stone rods to sharpen serrated.

I’d love a full spyderedge
“My daily razor blade”
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

tps3443 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 pm
I’d like to try serrated but, I don’t know how to sharpen it. I know it takes a while to dull it. Hopefully Wicked edge will make something soon.

I'm buying a Sharpmaker.

A while to dull it ? I think it will take you
Longer than a while, I've been using my Endura again for a year and it still cuts things easily.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:32 pm
tps3443 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm buying a Sharpmaker.

A while to dull it ? I think it will take you
Longer than a while, I've been using my Endura again for a year and it still cuts things easily.
Wow. That is impressive. So mailing it in with $5 bucks to Spyderco for a resharpen would be the best option then.

Maybe owning (2) lol. I think you might have sold me on trying one out.

There’s something about this knife that looks wickedly cool!

“My daily razor blade”
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
I have a theory that improving sharpening skills would make a bigger difference in edge retention for some folks than a new blade steel.

Those thin boxes you cut up are the type they use for cereal and snack bars. Those won't dull an edge very easily. If you want something that will dull your edge more quickly while not damaging it, try double walled corrugated cardboard and cut against the grain. Bonus points if its been sitting on a warehouse floor gathering dirt and other debris.

TPS3443, the sharpmaker makes maintaining a serrated edge nearly as easy as using your guided system to maintain your plain edged knives. It's very simple. You set up your rods in the sharpmaker base, and "slice" into them like you're cutting bread. Keep the knife vertical and that's all there is to it.

I too was hesitant to try SE knives until I found out how easy they can be to maintain. With the sharpmaker I can get them sharp enough that I can run them along my arm hair without touching the skin and watch the hairs pop off.

That knife you just posted, the Pacific Salt SE with black blade....that's what I have clipped to my pocket today :) Great model for your first SE blade.
:unicorn
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:49 pm
Evil D wrote:
I have a theory that improving sharpening skills would make a bigger difference in edge retention for some folks than a new blade steel.
Vivi

That is very true and something I learnt from hunting with a bloke that has been sharpening knives for years.

He uses (or likes and so do I) High Carbon Green River skinners and filleters.

He will give his knives a good sharpen and get them sharp, sometimes on a wheel stone lol and we will cut up (fully butcher)
quite a few cows/buffalo (10+) and all he uses to touch up the blade is a steel.

Because I haven't put the right edge on mine they don't last as long.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

tps3443

I have just picked up the same knife from a forum member here. Plus a few more old Endura's

You can (I have) get away with not sharpening an SE for a few years as long as you don't really bugger up the blade.
A little bit more force is required but once whatever you are cutting touches the inner bits of the serrations it cuts.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Ok I’ve got a really big cardboard box kinda like what your describing. I will re strop and attempt to find out how licks it takes to get to the center of non hair shaving haha.

I will go by how many feet. And we shall see how much it takes until the knife will not shave at all. Ok I’ll get to cutting then.
“My daily razor blade”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I spent a few years making boxes. This could also simply be a difference in the quality of the boxes themselves. There is a crazy range of paper weights and flute sizes and even two of the same type of box (say two Tide boxes for example) can be fairly different. The paper itself has a lot of clay and crud mixed into it and the starch glue holding it together is hard as a rock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:12 pm
I spent a few years making boxes. This could also simply be a difference in the quality of the boxes themselves. There is a crazy range of paper weights and flute sizes and even two of the same type of box (say two Tide boxes for example) can be fairly different. The paper itself has a lot of clay and crud mixed into it and the starch glue holding it together is hard as a rock.
Who did you work for David? I work in the corrugated paper making industry (WestRock) Probably find our stamp on some boxes you have in your kitchen right now.

-Rick
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

At what grit are you guys finishing your knives? You might see some improvement if you go with a bit more coarse edge.

And sharpening skill and type definitely makes a difference. Was recently shown by Pete in a cutting test with four R2D2 knives sharpened by different people.

https://youtu.be/fEzK0OUxgQM
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:08 pm
At what grit are you guys finishing your knives? You might see some improvement if you go with a bit more coarse edge.

And sharpening skill and type definitely makes a difference. Was recently shown by Pete in a cutting test with four R2D2 knives sharpened by different people.

I've noticed sometimes that when I finish with the my medium/coarse benchstone or the brown rods on the Sharpmaker, they my blade is actually sharper then, rather than after I use the Fine or Ultra Fine rods. Makes me think I'm not using the same strokes or something. Mind boggles me. Can't wait to watch that clip you posted.

-Rick
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Agree re courser edge, I've heard and seen that before.

Re the video, good example although I wish these reviewers, not just on knives would put up a chart, written or typed and hold the bloody thing still instead of waving bits of scrap paper around.
vivi

Post by vivi »

very cool video thanks for sharing.
:unicorn