Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you as interested in sharpening knives as you are collecting them?

No, I prefer to let someone else sharpen my knives (Shipping back to the maker or similar)
3%
No, I sharpen out of pure necessity like putting air in my car tires, not out of any particular interest
25%
Yes, I love sharpening knives with a guided system and seeing how sharp I can get them
26%
Yes, I love sharpening knives free hand and seeing how sharp I can get them
34%
Other
12%

Total votes: 154

basedlarrydavid

Re: Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Post by basedlarrydavid »

My setup and progressions. I don’t always use all of them. Depends on the steel and what I want to do with it:

Edge Pro Professional

- Shapton Glass 220-1k
- Naniwa Chosera 2k
- Shapton Glass 4k-16k
- Suehiro 20k

For high-carbide/high-vanadium steels:
- Edge Pro Diamond Matrix 250 and/or Venev Resin Bonded Diamond 150
- Edge Pro Diamond Matrix 650-4000
- Venev Resin Bonded Diamond 2k (actually higher than 4k)

Stropping
- Jende PCD Max 4mu on Balsa
- Jende PCD Max 2mu on Kangaroo
- Ken Schwartz PCD emulsion at 1mu, 0.25mu, 0.1mu, 0.025mu, all on nano cloth
- Ken Schwartz PCD Spray at 0.005mu, 0.003mu on nano cloth.

All that said, none of this is necessary. All of it is fun.
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
Spyderman91

Re: Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Post by Spyderman91 »

I just used the sharpmaker for the first time today... I was hesitant to use it on my pm2 (thought Id practice on a cheap knife first).
But I watched the video, looked through the manual and had at it... and sure enough less than 5 minutes later I had razor sharpness.
I feel like the system is really well built and dummy proof, look forward to sharpening up more dull blades!

My only other experience prior to this was using a double sided wet stone on a few of my "Cheaper" blades.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

basedlarrydavid wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:19 am
My setup and progressions. I don’t always use all of them. Depends on the steel and what I want to do with it:

Edge Pro Professional

- Shapton Glass 220-1k
- Naniwa Chosera 2k
- Shapton Glass 4k-16k
- Suehiro 20k

Stropping

Wow, you have the 5 million grit! That's awesome.

How do you like the edge pro diamond stones versus your venev?
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
basedlarrydavid

Post by basedlarrydavid »

Pelagic wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 am

The diamond matrix stones are awesome. They cut a little gentler than the Venev stones. The scratch patterns I get with the diamond matrix stones seem to be more polished and even but still leave plenty of bite. I haven’t had them for very long, but my initial impression is that they’re fantastic. They’re not great for heavy reprofiling; the Venev shines there.

But keep your eye out in the next few weeks for a new diamond matrix that will be much more aggressive. Really looking forward to that.
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

Strictly freehand.
Was taught the basics by a friend a long, long time ago on a small Norton combination stone and its surprising how fast some of it comes back.

Using coarse to medium bench stones, I was finishing an edge on one of the Henckels from the kitchen....and where is that blood coming from?
I'd unknowingly touched a freshly sharpened edge. Just as fine a cut as a razor blade would make.

Take the time to learn freehand.
You won't regret it.
North of 49
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I've always been freehand. I have all the Spyderco ceramics. However with my sight narrowing with age I'm more receptive of guided sharpening systems.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

basedlarrydavid wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:19 am

Edge Pro Professional

- Shapton Glass 220-1k
- Naniwa Chosera 2k
- Shapton Glass 4k-16k
- Suehiro 20k

Stropping

I use edge pro too but i haven't heard of half of the Stones you use, i need to find a different supplier.
You must be getting some wicked polished edges with that.
I feel sorry for the kangaroo though.
😉
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One item of discussion I find unique to my Spyderco enthusiasm is that I actually bought 3 of their sharpening tools before I ever even bought my first Spyderco knife ever. I've always loved Spyderco's older slogan>> "First We Made Things Sharp, Then We Made Sharp Things". Yeah I owned a 203 Sharpmaker, A model 302 Spyderco Benchstone and an original DOUBLESTUFF stone before I got my first Spyderco folder. And I bet I'm not the only person that was introduced to Spyderco's products using the sharpening tools first?

In one sense I've actually found it kind of odd when talking to companies that make high quality cutlery that actually seem like they are clueless when asking them about sharpening tools. I remember in 94 when I bought my very first Benchmade blade I soon called the company and asked them what they recommended for sharpening their knives and the person I had on the phone that day really seemed completely oblivious to sharpening tools in general :confused: . I bet if you called many of these premium knife companies today you would still get people that know little about sharpening or maintenance :confused: :rolleyes:
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

I have mixed results with sharpening, but I love to see what works and what doesn't. Strops really changed the game for me.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I have this bad habit of holding a stone in my hand and sharpening with my other. I did it so I could see the angle, but it's sloppy. Is there a good video of how to hold a knife to the stone properly on a table?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:48 pm
I have this bad habit of holding a stone in my hand and sharpening with my other. I did it so I could see the angle, but it's sloppy. Is there a good video of how to hold a knife to the stone properly on a table?
I do the same and with practice you’re going to get it better. There’s always small convex bevel because of human imprecise actions but it can be reduced.
Chris :spyder:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

GarageBoy wrote:
There are myriad videos on You Tube. There are recommendations earlier in this thread that I have been busy watching. I have most recently been watching videos by "rough rooster" who uses a stone on the table, and sits while polishing. Other people stand. And there are any number of ways to hold and move the knife when freehand sharpening with the stone on the table. Some go side to side, others go front to back. Some guys are ambidextrous, some always use their right hand.

In other words, there is no "right way". You just have to figure out what works for you. Maybe it is more accurate to say that you just have to figure out what allows *you* to maintain a proper angle. It is definitely worth watching some of these accomplished freehanders and then experimenting and trying to duplicate their motions.

I just found some stuff I have saved. Here is a partial list of recommended you-tubers.

Big Brown Bear (Dead Box Hero), Michael Christy, Rough Rooster Knife Sharpening, Dean O, JDavis882, Jeff Jewell, and OUTDOORS55

One fellow (I think Outdoors55) likes to stand and pretty much lock his wrist and shoulders and then move from the hips to keep the angle.

I'll just mention that I found standing while using the sharpmaker (with a bench of appropriate height) gave me much better control that
sitting, but I am sure there are people out there who will say just the opposite.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

GarageBoy wrote:
Also, I am not sure I would call it a bad habit (unless you habitually cut yourself :eek: ) Michael Christy sharpens like that and seems to get outstanding results. I am not ready to try that. I think that a bigger stone and the stone on the table will enable me to get better control.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

GarageBoy wrote:
If you get good with that technique, you can ALWAYS sharpen your knives, because you don't have to rely on anything. You can stand out in the woods and sharpen your knives without issue. So it may seem difficult, but I wouldn't call it a bad habit.

You may find that you hold a better angle keeping the knife stationary and moving the stone, instead of vice versa. I've actually thought of making a knife clamp similar to the one on the wicked edge, and freehanding with the stone (in hand) that way. Easier to see your angle while simultaneously tweaking the finish to your liking.

You may find that sharpening rods are much easier to use. If you got a 600 grit (red/"fine") DMT rod along with both fine and ultra fine spyderco sharpmaker rods, you could sharpen pretty much anything to a high degree of sharpness, and even reprofile to an extent. No 2 people sharpen the same way. All the best sharpeners have major differences in technique. At first you may have to stick with what works best for you, and branch out later as your skill increases. I used to prefer Wharncliffe, sheepsfoot, and reverse tanto style blades because it's so much easier not dealing with a big belly (like on the K2), but after a while it becomes easy. Rods are easier for blades with deep bellies.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Nate

Post by Nate »

Voted: "No, out of necessity..."

While I take some pride in being fairly proficient at sharpening/reprofiling/regrinds, and wanting to learn how to sharpen our kitchen knives is what initially got me "into knives," I generally still view it as a chore.

My most used equipment is fairly basic and inexpensive. Coarse/fine Norton Economy stone (under $10 at Home Depot, iirc,) and Sharpmaker. Have some angled blocks cut from scrap 4"x4" posts at 10, 12.5, 15, and 20 degrees (h/t me2) that are used with the Norton for reprofiling or resetting bevels.

I also have a modded, watercooled HF 1x30" for regrinds or heavily damaged edges. I occasionally sharpen knives, machetes, and axes for F&F that are in ghastly shape when they come in. :eek:
:spyder:
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

anagarika wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:21 pm
I do the same and with practice you’re going to get it better. There’s always small convex bevel because of human imprecise actions but it can be reduced.
While the bevel will always have a very slight convex to in some way, it may not affect performance negatively. If you are freehand sharpening and keep the blade between 14 and 15 degrees per side the entire time, the backside of your bevel will begin at 14dps, and the actual apex will be a perfect "V" at 15dps. The difference wouldn't be noticeable, but in theory this would slice better than a perfect 15dps, as there is a smoother transition going from the primary grind to the edge bevel. As long as the apex itself isn't convexed, I say you're AOK.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:21 am

While the bevel will always have a very slight convex to in some way, it may not affect performance negatively. If you are freehand sharpening and keep the blade between 14 and 15 degrees per side the entire time, the backside of your bevel will begin at 14dps, and the actual apex will be a perfect "V" at 15dps. The difference wouldn't be noticeable, but in theory this would slice better than a perfect 15dps, as there is a smoother transition going from the primary grind to the edge bevel. As long as the apex itself isn't convexed, I say you're AOK.
Pelagic wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:00 am

If you get good with that technique, you can ALWAYS sharpen your knives, because you don't have to rely on anything. You can stand out in the woods and sharpen your knives without issue. So it may seem difficult, but I wouldn't call it a bad habit.
Yes, totally agree 👍🏼
Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:35 pm

Also, I am not sure I would call it a bad habit (unless you habitually cut yourself :eek: ) Michael Christy sharpens like that and seems to get outstanding results. I am not ready to try that. I think that a bigger stone and the stone on the table will enable me to get better control.
True :D
Chris :spyder:
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I chose other:

Have become interested in sharpening knives for reasons beyond pure necessity and I am currently building skill with systems and freehand.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

basedlarrydavid wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:17 am
Pelagic wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 am

The diamond matrix stones are awesome. They cut a little gentler than the Venev stones. The scratch patterns I get with the diamond matrix stones seem to be more polished and even but still leave plenty of bite. I haven’t had them for very long, but my initial impression is that they’re fantastic. They’re not great for heavy reprofiling; the Venev shines there.

But keep your eye out in the next few weeks for a new diamond matrix that will be much more aggressive. Really looking forward to that.
David makes a killer stone.

Can't wait till the benchstones come out.
They finish and feel like the Naniwa Super stones but have some real Firepower with the diamond abrasive.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My buddy got me a ultrafine stone (now I have a pair) and a pair of CBN stones for the shapmaker for christmas. Cant wait to see how the CBN compares to the Diamond rods.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal