Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you as interested in sharpening knives as you are collecting them?

No, I prefer to let someone else sharpen my knives (Shipping back to the maker or similar)
3%
No, I sharpen out of pure necessity like putting air in my car tires, not out of any particular interest
25%
Yes, I love sharpening knives with a guided system and seeing how sharp I can get them
26%
Yes, I love sharpening knives free hand and seeing how sharp I can get them
34%
Other
12%

Total votes: 154

Eli Chaps

Re: Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Post by Eli Chaps »

anagarika wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:36 am
After reading more, the level of skill & concentration to sharpen the 101th knife is what makes sharpening meditative (for those enjoying it) or a chore (for those not).

Eli,

I used to like jdavis, but he has moved on since. Try HeavyHanded, and Jason B (both over BF) YT channel. I can’t recall their YT handle, but you can look them up over BF.

For those intimidated by free hand (but don’t use your expensive folder), this would be enjoyable and easy to learn:
https://youtu.be/SEMLu8e34ck

A few of the guys I listed are no longer active on YouTube but there's still some very good content there and some of it I've re-watched several times.

And I agree, HeavyHanded and Jason B are excellent resources and very generous with their knowledge. :)
anagarika

Re: Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Post by anagarika »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:15 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:19 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:31 pm
Wish I bought a fine grit Spyderco bench stone instead of the Sharpmaker to go along with my coarse/medium grit bench stone. Oh well...we learn along the way.
Sounds like you need to ask for a 302F for Christmas.

In the meantime...

I know it's not as nice as using an actual bench stone but it works.
I was tempted to try this, but the small gap between the stones made me wonder how effective that method would be.
As long as you don’t work the tip there, should be fine. Not much different from using the notched side of the rod. Another user (forgot who on YT) demonstrated using the slot at the edge of the base instead of center slot. He did that to work on the heel of the blade.

Note: I went by what I read/watch, don’t even have a Sharpmaker. Only one UF rod ... but I do use the notched side of the rod for normal sharpening or touch up :p
Chris :spyder:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Dislike sharpening. There should have been this option on the poll: “No. I try to buy knives faster than they dull.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Before Spyderco, I was pretty much content with my SAKs, Opinels, and one or three well-made fixed blades. I took their steels for granted, that is, I could quickly put a nice edge on them with freehand skills I first acquired in the Scouts back in the early ‘60s.

With Spyderco, I’ve been overwhelmed both with models and steel choice, and happily so. Both intrigue me.

The latter carries with it an obligation to sharpen so as to learn some of a steel’s properties.

I enjoy this discovery, whether by freehand or Sharpmaker, but I don’t obsess over it. I don’t polish my edges, and sometimes I don’t use the whites.

So long as it’s zen, I stick with it, such that it’s a toss up whether models or steel choice is what drives me.

I’m an “Other”.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
anycal

Post by anycal »

I enjoy it. I don't spend too much time on it so I am far from an expert. But I do have a routine because I like to keep things sharp.

I always dabbled with free handing it on various stones, many times out of necessity. Some years ago (90s'), I got the Lansky guided system. There are couple of tricks to getting good, consistent results, but it does work surprisingly well. Eventually ended up with Sharpmaker, EdgePro, and DMT diamond plates, in that order. I used the EdgePro three times since I got it, and now it has been collecting dust for over a year. I prefer other methods.

My regular rotation has enough knives in it, where I can go without sharpening for a while. But I still do something at least once a week, depending on what needs sharpening. Either re-profile or just a touched up. Free-handing the :spyder: tri-angle stones is probably the most common task - Michael Christy style.

This morning, M4 touch up day, on fine and ultra-fine tri-angle stones.

Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

Time to clean that stone, haha.

What's interesting is the guided system choice was the most popular selection for a while, but now it seems free hand has taken the lead.
:unicorn
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:02 pm

What's interesting is the guided system choice was the most popular selection for a while, but now it seems free hand has taken the lead.
I just noticed that too, go guided! Go guided! Haha jk.

I wash stones with dish soap and water after every use. It makes a difference.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
anycal

Post by anycal »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:02 pm
I use it as a strop :p
Peter
timlara

Post by timlara »

tvenuto wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:32 am
Dislike sharpening. There should have been this option on the poll: “No. I try to buy knives faster than they dull.”

Ha...I would have picked this option as well. :D

I guess I am in the minority here as I have never been motivated enough to put in the time to learn to sharpen. I actually bought a Sharpmaker early on when I first got into Spyderco years ago, but never got the hang of using it.
Tim
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I picked "other" since I use a guided system as well as freehand sharpening.

Mostly freehand for kitchen blades, but a few folders and larger fixed blades are done on the water stones, guided (Hapstone) for the bulk of my folding knives.

I do enjoy it, there is a sense of accomplishment that comes from developing and using a skill, also I want really sharp knives!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A friend of mine at work showed me his beat up, chipped and duller than dull Tac Force knife he got from Wal-Mart in Friday and asked if I could sharpen it for him anytime I had a chance. Of course I said yes. This would be a great opportunity see how far I've come with my free hand sharpening...as I looked at knife I could see the bevels weren't equal at 15 or 20 dps, so I figured this would be tough with the Sharpmaker.

Last night after all our running around yesterday and watching Syracuse get destroyed by Notre Dame, I decided it to was time to get to work on this knife.

It took me over an hour, but I managed to sharpen the 2 chips out of the blade and gave it a pretty solid edge. Was cutting through paper and shaving dead skin off my arm, but not quite shaving hair. I knew I could do better. Cheap Chinese steel is quite easy to work with.

Another 10 minutes or so later, utilizing the flats of the fine stones and bottom of the Sharpmaker as a bench stone. I was able to get this knife hair shaving sharp. I felt pretty good about myself, considering the condition it was in when he handed it to me. Even my wife was impressed :cool:

I decided to clean it out a bit, adjusted the pivot and re-centered the blade. Gave it a little lube and some blue locktite to a few screws. This thing is good to go! Great feeling of accomplishment and can't wait for his reaction. Makes me wish I took some before pics!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Extremely cheap knives like that are tough. The apex stability is abysmal and it'll often make you think you're doing something wrong in sharpening when it's not your fault.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I have a question that is related to this very thread. At this point it is hypothetical. But, if there were people on the forum who were not interested in sharpening their knives, or, felt as if they may not do as good a job at sharpening them as some of you on here, are there people on the forum who would be willing to sharpen the Spyderco or other knives of other forum members, if the person wanting their knife sharpened would pay the shipping costs to cover both sending the knife to you, and, for you to send the sharpened knife back to them, or is that not likely?

Example: Say Forum Member A had a Spyderco Military that he or she did not want to sharpen because they felt they may not do a good job of it, and asks Forum Member B to sharpen it, and pays for round trip shipping; is the a Forum Member B on here who would, time permitting, sharpen that knife for the other forum member?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I think it would probably fall in the same category as selling knives on the forum. I dont think any of the sharpening whiz's we have here would keep a knife or mess up someone's knife. But I think once money is involved, it's a no no.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Hello folks,

A random question for your sharpening masters, if you are skilled at freehand do you ever use a guided system?

Would you recommend someone newer to sharpening to go guided, or suck it up and use stones. I've used a wet stone on my tenacious
and got it back to a descent edge... but I also dulled the crap out of my Cudeman mt5 which already came a little dull as is. The later all comes down to technique and practice makes perfect... But I keep eyeballing the Wicked Edge because across the board it seems to be the best system...
I'm just waiting to bite the bullet, or assess other options.

I decided I won't buy a new knife, until I buy descent sharpening equipment to maintain them all properly.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

https://youtu.be/lIbpdZznqrE you could say I'm more than obsessed with getting edges as keen as possible edit: this is freehand
Last edited by razorsharp on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Different strokes for different folks. I've been sharpening long before people knew about guided systems, thus I don't need them and can't really give a fully impartial opinion. I wouldn't have it any other way though. I'd rather admire my own work unassisted than admire what I accomplished with a device.

Anyone TRYING to freehand sharpen, I just want to remind you. If you look at Michael Christy's videos, even he, a guy with a considerable amount of skill, takes his time. While he could impatiently rush through it and still get a great edge, he is meticulous, patient, and focused. You only get out of your edge what you put into it, and no edge is truly perfect. Freehand sharpening is a constant learning experience, even for the experts. Don't get frustrated. It takes time to develop the muscle memory necessary to hold angles for long periods of time. It WILL GET EASIER with practice, I promise. And the journey is worth it in my opinion.

For those that use alumina based softer stones, try CBN or diamond. Yes, mistakes can happen quickly but you fix them more quickly too. Less passes = less frustration and you can get by more easily until your muscle memory has solidified (I'm quite good at holding angles but if I didn't have CBN or diamonds, I'd have to take breaks or I'd have trouble holding my angles correctly by the end of sharpening).
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:01 pm
Hello folks,

A random question for your sharpening masters, if you are skilled at freehand do you ever use a guided system?

Would you recommend someone newer to sharpening to go guided, or suck it up and use stones. I've used a wet stone on my tenacious
and got it back to a descent edge... but I also dulled the crap out of my Cudeman mt5 which already came a little dull as is. The later all comes down to technique and practice makes perfect... But I keep eyeballing the Wicked Edge because across the board it seems to be the best system...
I'm just waiting to bite the bullet, or assess other options.

I decided I won't buy a new knife, until I buy descent sharpening equipment to maintain them all properly.
There is no right or wrong answer, no matter what anyone says. Probably the most ideal answer is to learn to free hand effectively. This opens up a lot more possibilities in both stone variety (and cost) and angles and convenience and so on. However, that doesn't mean it is the best answer or the best answer for you.

There is absolutely no shame and zero wrong with choosing to use a guided system. I know there are a minority of free handers in the knife world who look down their noses at people using guided systems and that is unfortunate. I'm just thrilled when knife folks decide they want to keep their knives sharp. What you use to get there matters a whole less to me than the fact that you want to get there. Yes, free handing can be special in its own right, but not everyone wants to go there. And some have physical conditions that may make it nigh impossible.

I've had a KME for many years and it has sharpened many knives. It is an excellent system and I've never once regretted the purchase. There is a lot more regret in not sharpening at all.

These days I almost exclusively free hand (back to where I started all those years ago) but I think any person who wants to maintain their own knives, especially in recognizing this desire over another knife purchase is awesome! You might also find that a guided system helps you learn how to free hand and gives you the confidence to start exploring it. You'll know you always have your system there while learning to help fix things if needed.

I would just recommend doing your research and buying what works for you. There's pros and cons to the various systems but for me, the KME was the best balance of all factors.

If you love your Spyderco knives now, you'll kick into an entire next level when you are using it with your own edge.

Let us know what you decide!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I'll never look down upon anyone's personal preferences when it comes to knives. It's their hobby, not mine. I don't understand why anyone is like that. I may not understand those who buy a new knife every time they get one dull, but at the end of the day I'm actually more jealous of those people than anything else! Lol! I wish I could afford to do that! I don't think any one method is better than the other. The only thing I can say objectively is that sharpening methods/systems that are easily portable (like you can take them on a camping trip or something) offer a certain type of advantage over those that essentially stay at the house.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Other. I do take satisfaction in getting a nice shaving edge, but I’m also impatient so I’m somewhere in the middle, lol!
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?