Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Are you as interested in sharpening knives as you are collecting them?

No, I prefer to let someone else sharpen my knives (Shipping back to the maker or similar)
3%
No, I sharpen out of pure necessity like putting air in my car tires, not out of any particular interest
25%
Yes, I love sharpening knives with a guided system and seeing how sharp I can get them
26%
Yes, I love sharpening knives free hand and seeing how sharp I can get them
34%
Other
12%

Total votes: 154

J D Wijbenga

Re: Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Post by J D Wijbenga »

I am pretty much like you when it comes to sharpening Vivi. I remove factory edges, thin them, and put my own edge on, free hand. I enjoy a knife that cuts really well and that means tuning a edge to my liking.
Lee48

Re: Is your interest in sharpening on the same level as your interest in knives?

Post by Lee48 »

I've messed around with knives for 60 years or more but I never tried to get them really sharp until I bought my first Spyderco knife along with a Triangle Sharpmaker nearly 30 years ago. It was so easy to use it sparked my enthusiasm. I've since moved to mostly using Spyderco ceramic bench stones--medium, fine and ultrafine. Add a DMT coarse/fine diamond plate for really dull or damaged edges and a Strop Block for final stropping.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

As a rookie sharpener, I don't know if I LOVE sharpening, mainly because I hate it when I screw up, which I have. But when things do work out it's extremely gratifying. I use a guided system and sharpening has greatly deepened my knowledge and appreciation for different varieties of knife steels and geometry.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

embry386 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 am
...and also don't trust other people to put an edge on my nice Spydercos without screwing them up.
Why not send them in to Spyderco to sharpen?
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

I got into sharpening before i got into quality knives. I just got so pissed off with all the dull knives around the house and nobody in my family that would sharpen them. They would cut (only just) because of their thin geometry but not because any knife was sharp. So i wen't to investigate and learn the art of sharpening. I chose to go with free hand sharpening because i can sharpen anything on a bench stone. Be it larger knives, chisels etc. I also like it that i am not reliant on a system or brand. I can buy any stone and get stuff done. If the apocalypse happens i could find a stone in nature and still get my tools sharp. I am also the guy that likes to fix everything. I work on my own car. If some electronic thing breaks i know how to solder and fix it.

I do wish i had learned stuff like this from my dad though. We use knives so much in our lives that i think any kid should learn how to sharpen. But luckily in this day and age it is easy to learn yourself. There are many great YouTube channels that can learn you the basics. And free hand sharpening really is not that hard. It is pretty easy to get a knife hair shaving sharp. Sure you might have it a little convex and not a nice polished edge but it will sure be sharp. Free hand sharpening is hard to master (i'm still learning too) but in no way should people be afraid to try it in my opinion.
I do have some interest in a guided sharpening system because of my technical interest. I some ways it probably is superior for many. I might buy one someday to set the bevel on knives. But i wouldn't want to solely rely on it. I think for just simple maintenance regular hand sharpening is much faster.

Through my sharpening interest i got into premium steels. And Spyderco is one of the only brands where you get to try out all these new flavors. I was late to the game to collect PM2's in different steels. Some are just way too expensive now. But i also really like the Para 3 model so that is what i am now collecting to get many different steels. Currently rocking the Para 3 in REX45, 4V, M4, Cruwear, S110V and Maxamet. Also got a 204P Military, LC200N Caribbean, XHP Chaparral and i have a Calypso Jr. in SuperBlue on the way. With all these sprints/exclusives i'm like a kid in a candy store. :D
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Trust no one... :D
TomAiello wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:21 pm
embry386 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 am
...and also don't trust other people to put an edge on my nice Spydercos without screwing them up.
Why not send them in to Spyderco to sharpen?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Since I've busted out the water stones last weekend, my wife has now "placed an order" for a selection of knives to be sharpened by next Tuesday. Right now, I need the practice so any excuse to practice is an opportunity to get better. I just hope I don't mess up her knives (we have our own style of chefs knives that we use).
ferider

Post by ferider »

It's a chore. On a scale of 1 to 10, for 1 being my favorite thing I do around the house (like cooking pasta), and 10 my least favorite (like snaking the sewer), it's probably a 4 or so. I usually get nagged repeatedly before I sharpen the kitchen knives, typically all in one shot (around a dozen). My folders are sharpened more frequently.

Roland.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have great admiration for you freehanders. :cool:

I don't freehand very well so I use a guided system and feel I'm cheating because of it.

While I was learning to sharpen and sometimes having trouble with a particular steel I used to persevere like a dog with a bone and enjoyed the challenge.

I still challenge myself to obtain the sharpest edge I can with the coarsest stone but I achieve the desired result now and within reason I can get any steel I own as sharp as I want so in a way sharpening knives to me is a bit like mowing lawns now.

That said I still find it very satisfying and can see that our chosen hobby wouldn't be much fun at all if we couldn't get our knives as sharp as we'd like. :)
Last edited by Bloke on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

I’m with you Vivi,

Freehand all the way, and the goal is dry shave my face. :D
Chris :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

anagarika wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 pm
I’m with you Vivi,

Freehand all the way, and the goal is dry shave my face. :D
+1 on that. The more I freehand, the less I've been using my Sharpmaker the past month...after being so jacked up on it. I'm just finding myself much more effective freehand. Sharpmaker is strictly for a finishing touch. Wish I bought a fine grit Spyderco bench stone instead of the Sharpmaker to go along with my coarse/medium grit bench stone. Oh well...we learn along the way.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:31 pm
Wish I bought a fine grit Spyderco bench stone instead of the Sharpmaker to go along with my coarse/medium grit bench stone. Oh well...we learn along the way.
Sounds like you need to ask for a 302F for Christmas.

In the meantime...

I know it's not as nice as using an actual bench stone but it works.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I find myself torn between getting a guided system like the KME and biting the bullet and putting in the time and energy to learn to freehand. Freehand does seem like one of these talent and skill things where some people have it and some people don't. Or is it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm
I find myself torn between getting a guided system like the KME and biting the bullet and putting in the time and energy to learn to freehand. Freehand does seem like one of these talent and skill things where some people have it and some people don't. Or is it?
Absolutely not. I think some people get intimidated by all the different stones, strops, systems, techniques etc. But you can go down to a hardware store, buy a $5-10 stone, and learn the basics.

It's so, so simple. You're abrading an object until you form a V. That is it.

Sure, it takes practice to get good, but I've taken people with zero experience and taught them enough to make a dull knife useable, and it only took me about 20 minutes to show them the ropes.

It basically comes down to using a light touch, alternating sides every stroke, and (the hard part) keeping a pretty consistent angle.

I say "pretty consistent" because bevels don't have to be perfect. I've put some butt ugly edges on knives that outcut the factory edges easily.
:unicorn
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:05 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:31 pm
Absolutely not. I think some people get intimidated by all the different stones, strops, systems, techniques etc. But you can go down to a hardware store, buy a $5-10 stone, and learn the basics.

It's so, so simple. You're abrading an object until you form a V. That is it.

Sure, it takes practice to get good, but I've taken people with zero experience and taught them enough to make a dull knife useable, and it only took me about 20 minutes to show them the ropes.

It basically comes down to using a light touch, alternating sides every stroke, and (the hard part) keeping a pretty consistent angle.

I say "pretty consistent" because bevels don't have to be perfect. I've put some butt ugly edges on knives that outcut the factory edges easily.
You encourage me (thanks!) What I think of doing is taping a big sheet of paper on the wall with a 15 degree angle marked big and bold,
then getting busy with a big DMT stone I bought several years ago. I just went and found it. It is 600 on one side, 1200 on the other.
The surface is like 2.5 by 8 inches. I have some horrible knives that I hate that I can try to learn on.
Joseph08

Post by Joseph08 »

I sharpen free hand. Though it took me a lot of time to get good grip over it. Its a great skill to have and i am still learning.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 am
The surface is like 2.5 by 8 inches. I have some horrible knives that I hate that I can try to learn on.
Hey Tom,

You can prop the stone at 15deg off horizontal and hold the knife horizontal. Like a SharpMaker turned 90deg. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Since getting a SM, I only very rarely get out my bench stone. I was never that good with it.

I love getting blades sharp, though!
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

After reading more, the level of skill & concentration to sharpen the 101th knife is what makes sharpening meditative (for those enjoying it) or a chore (for those not).

Eli,

I used to like jdavis, but he has moved on since. Try HeavyHanded, and Jason B (both over BF) YT channel. I can’t recall their YT handle, but you can look them up over BF.

For those intimidated by free hand (but don’t use your expensive folder), this would be enjoyable and easy to learn:
https://youtu.be/SEMLu8e34ck
Bloke wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:51 am
Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 am
Hey Tom,

You can prop the stone at 15deg off horizontal and hold the knife horizontal. Like a SharpMaker turned 90deg. :)
Right. Our member Unit (ewerstruly on YT) does that.
Chris :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:19 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:31 pm
Wish I bought a fine grit Spyderco bench stone instead of the Sharpmaker to go along with my coarse/medium grit bench stone. Oh well...we learn along the way.
Sounds like you need to ask for a 302F for Christmas.

In the meantime...

I know it's not as nice as using an actual bench stone but it works.
I was tempted to try this, but the small gap between the stones made me wonder how effective that method would be.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick