Mr. Wayne Goddard passes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
araneae

Re: Mr. Wayne Goddard passes

Post by araneae »

Sad to hear. The Goddard in FRN has been an icon in the lineup over the years. I see it as a classic utilitarian knife, hopefully we'll all see it again.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Maybe a Sprint Run of the Spyderco Goddard C16OD in a new steel/new color FRN with some of the proceeds going to the Goddard family or a worthy charity?
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

My condolences, I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.

I have always liked the design of the Spyderco Goddard. I'm sure whatever Sal and Spyderco are planning for a sprint of the Goddard, it will be good and I'm definitely going to want to pick one up.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My sincerest prayers to the family on the loss of Wayne and to the industry for having to say goodbye to such an icon. Carrying one of his designs today in memoriam. Looking forward to whatever tribute Spyderco chooses to bring.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Please do a medium Goddard in PE for a Sprint. I’m sure Mr. Goddard would have approved.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

This is sad news indeed, my condolences to the Goddard family and his friends. I only own a few of his design collaborations with Spyderco, but read enough to know he was a true icon. He will be missed.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Carlito555

Post by Carlito555 »

Thoughts and prayers to the family. Thanks for all of the contributions for so many years.
ceya

Post by ceya »

I have personally known Mr Goddard and his wife since the early 90.

As most know my favorite Spyderco is the Goddard.

I recently tried to reach out to him by email , could not find his old number .

I wanted him to make a fixed blade version of the Goddard Jr.

Mrs Phyllis as I called her would give me copies of there cards if I lost or misplaced them.

I still have one when the plain edge Jr came out.

She had Wayne signed my books that he put out and she signed one of them.

I will always remember them.

Good people and knifemaker.

I think as I said in an old post, A Baby Goddard in G2 plain edge would be a nice one to make since the other two has plain edge.

I have two of my originals from the 90s, one is serial numbered and another engraved from Cutlery Shoppe in 92. my Japanese bought in late 90s Baby Goddard is there too.

Strength and Honor,
Ceya!
s2goddard

Post by s2goddard »

Reading all the messages here has been a comfort to the Goddard family. Thank you all! We appreciate all the prayers and well wishes. Dad’s legacy will live on in each of you.

There will be a memorial service on December 15, 2018 in Eugene. If you are in the area, please feel free to attend.

Sincerely,
Steve and Susan Goddard
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Steve, Susan,

Welcome to our forum./ Glad you could visit. I thought to use this thread to pass along "Talkin' Story" 'bout Wayne. I know I've got a bunch. I'll try to get to that this weekend.

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:08 am
Hi Steve, Susan,

Welcome to our forum./ Glad you could visit. I thought to use this thread to pass along "Talkin' Story" 'bout Wayne. I know I've got a bunch. I'll try to get to that this weekend.

sal
Sal, I'm not much of anyone. I'd contribute to two different ideas. One would be an iconic model done with some of the most premium materials done in small batches that highlights what the passed maker/designer brought to us. Two would be to produce a limited model that usually has the highest profit margin and give the profits to the family except some amount to produce a nicely engraved plaque that hangs on some wall of honor in Golden. Either one, seems to me, would honor a maker that has influenced us in our little world.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

I am saddened. He was a great teacher and innovator.
s2goddard

Post by s2goddard »

sal wrote:
I thought to use this thread to pass along "Talkin' Story" 'bout Wayne. I know I've got a bunch. I'll try to get to that this weekend.

sal
We would love to hear stories! Did you see the one Dad wrote of his first meeting with you? I think Joyce has a copy.
Susan
scout

Post by scout »

Mr.Goddard inspired me to dabble in knife making. His articles and book were so giving in knowledge for us newbies. Prayers sent to all friends and family.
scout
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:
Hi Steve, Susan,

sal
sal, do you have Goddard's book "The Fifty Dollar Knife Shop" and its revised updated edition? It has some pictures in it of these beautiful hand-made, hand-forged steel-wire-rope Damascus knives he made, and one of them is a folder with this semi-curved blade with a stag handle. Oh man, my friend, it is so good-looking and I am sure very useful as a cutting tool. When I saw it I immediately thought "I would absolutely love to see a Spyderco version of this." If you have the book, the revised and updated edition, please when you can look through it, its in his section on making knives from steel wire rope.
mf6532

Post by mf6532 »

His unique handle and blade design made the C16 one of the most efficient clipits, may he rest in peace.