Smock Anticipation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Smock Anticipation

Post by vivi »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:59 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:11 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:08 pm
I like the button compression lock, but I don't know if it's just me... when trying to open the knife using the flipper tab, my thumb naturally goes where the button is.

Also, when deploying the blade using the flipper tab I find my middle finger rests perfectly in the groove of the stock pocket clip, giving me a better grip on the knife. The knife doesn't seem to ride as terribly high as I had first expected either. Higher than I'd prefer, but manageable. Debating if I'll go with a deep carry clip or not. Will try a swap when I get home see what the difference is when deploying the blade. This clip just seems perfect for my middle finger!

The choil doesn't seem very useful either. Gives my hand an uncomfortable grip when choking up, and is actually a bit sharp.

So far so good though. I love this unique design!
The choil looks like it wasn't designed for using, but rather to facilitate the button lock.

With how large it is I'm really confused why they didn't round it out a bit to make it useful as an index choil.
I’m still waiting on mine from DLT, looks like it’s close to getting to the dreaded Customs now...
Anyways I thought I’d chime in on the choil from my experience with my SK23. I was surprised as well that they didn’t go with a rounded choil as on the custom, however I’ve noticed with the SK23 that when I use the choil I end up wrapping my index back around the pivot area. If I end up holding the Smock in a similar way, I suspect the choil will work nicely.9C528AE8-E231-4AE5-9148-2E5ACC5FB463.jpeg
I'm surprised people are actually trying this grip with the production version. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.
:unicorn
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

True..
Catamount123 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:40 pm
People can, and will, complain about map pricing, but it does help keep the good dealers in business.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:46 pm
spyderg wrote:
Vivi wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:08 pm
I like the button compression lock, but I don't know if it's just me... when trying to open the knife using the flipper tab, my thumb naturally goes where the button is.

Also, when deploying the blade using the flipper tab I find my middle finger rests perfectly in the groove of the stock pocket clip, giving me a better grip on the knife. The knife doesn't seem to ride as terribly high as I had first expected either. Higher than I'd prefer, but manageable. Debating if I'll go with a deep carry clip or not. Will try a swap when I get home see what the difference is when deploying the blade. This clip just seems perfect for my middle finger!

The choil doesn't seem very useful either. Gives my hand an uncomfortable grip when choking up, and is actually a bit sharp.

So far so good though. I love this unique design!
The choil looks like it wasn't designed for using, but rather to facilitate the button lock.

With how large it is I'm really confused why they didn't round it out a bit to make it useful as an index choil.
I’m still waiting on mine from DLT, looks like it’s close to getting to the dreaded Customs now...
Anyways I thought I’d chime in on the choil from my experience with my SK23. I was surprised as well that they didn’t go with a rounded choil as on the custom, however I’ve noticed with the SK23 that when I use the choil I end up wrapping my index back around the pivot area. If I end up holding the Smock in a similar way, I suspect the choil will work nicely.9C528AE8-E231-4AE5-9148-2E5ACC5FB463.jpeg
I'm surprised people are actually trying this grip with the production version. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.
I’ll comment again after I get mine, expected delivery Friday. But I suspect it will work well in the ways I was talking about. That type of grip is for a controlled draw cut, not for hard cuts through thick plastic or rubber etc. or piercing. The angle of the choil should work well for those cuts and discourage putting your finger there for piercing etc. Unintentional safety feature perhaps.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

After having it for a week now, and exclusively carrying for 4 days, I never once found myself using the choil. For me, "choking up" is actually most comfortable placing my thumb a bit beyond the jimping on the spine and my index finger on the flat spot between the choil and the notch for the index finger.

My thumb has naturally become accustomed to the position of the button lock and rests just below it near the chamfering for the Spyder hole. That has now become second nature.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

I must be in the minority that doesn’t functionally care about pocket clips or lanyard holes. On all my prior knifes, I still leave the clip on primarily because it seems to help fill out the handle size in hand. But for the Smock, particularly to enjoy the 3 holes cut through the scales, I just removed the clip and have been pleasantly surprised with both look and feel.
vivi

Post by vivi »

spyderg wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:32 pm
Vivi wrote:
spyderg wrote:
Vivi wrote:

I’ll comment again after I get mine, expected delivery Friday. But I suspect it will work well in the ways I was talking about. That type of grip is for a controlled draw cut, not for hard cuts through thick plastic or rubber etc. or piercing. The angle of the choil should work well for those cuts and discourage putting your finger there for piercing etc. Unintentional safety feature perhaps.
I guess the way I use my knives might color how I view that particular aspect of the Smock.

The way I most often use index choils is for hard push cutting. For example, I carved four tent pegs with my Manix XL last night while camping. I used this grip to get better leverage than gripping behind the choil:

Might not be so bad using it how you describe. I'll try to handle one next time I'm at NGK.
:unicorn
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Yes Vivi, in the grip you’re using for a heavy cutting task, I don’t think the Smock choil would be the safest. However the Smock is not the knife I would be carrying on a day that I knew I’d be doing that type of work. I’d likely grab my Manix or lrg Sebenza.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ve read here and on BF, a fair number of folks commenting about the ergos, or the design being about form rather than function. I just want to point out that it’s a collaboration, not an in house Spyderco melt in your hand design. They took a design and tweaked it a little but kept very true to Kevin Smocks design. Kevin designed the knife to work for himself, in his hand, (the SK23 happens to be super ergonomic for my hand too) utilizing a really cool innovation to the compression lock. Also keep in mind he’s a one man operation without the resources to delelop the design like Spyderco...hmmm now that’s interesting, Spyderco. If the Smock does well enough we might see an updated Smock2, or a new design from Kevin. He’s been very active comment on reviews and asking for critiques and suggestions. Even if the Smocks popularity fizzles, I think it’s pretty clear we spyderfans like the button so perhaps Spyderco will find a way to employ the innovation elsewhere.
lunde

Post by lunde »

I'm with you. Unless a knife is expected to see front pocket duty, such as the Native5 Salt that is performing said duty as I type this, the first thing that I do upon a knife landing is to remove its pocket clip. If I find that its ergonomics work for me, I'll eventually have a Lifter's Leather open-top belt sheath made for it (the sheath is specifically made not to accommodate a pocket clip). My Shaman without pocket clip is being carried in that fashion at the moment. We Shall See™ about the Smock.
Oogie wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:30 pm
I must be in the minority that doesn’t functionally care about pocket clips or lanyard holes. On all my prior knifes, I still leave the clip on primarily because it seems to help fill out the handle size in hand. But for the Smock, particularly to enjoy the 3 holes cut through the scales, I just removed the clip and have been pleasantly surprised with both look and feel.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:46 pm
spyderg wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:32 pm
Vivi wrote:
spyderg wrote:

I guess the way I use my knives might color how I view that particular aspect of the Smock.

The way I most often use index choils is for hard push cutting. For example, I carved four tent pegs with my Manix XL last night while camping. I used this grip to get better leverage than gripping behind the choil:

Might not be so bad using it how you describe. I'll try to handle one next time I'm at NGK.
I’ve used my SK23 for some hard cutting, I end up holding it index around the squared of portion behind the choil. I assume if I use the Smock for a similar task I’d do the same. For me it ends up quite comfortable.
0D42347E-AC4F-44AD-BB5C-4AFD66404221.jpeg
Waiting for this thing is killing me. I had hoped Cpost would have moved it along by now. I had another little slipjoint pocket knife go through the same customs checkpoint earlier but same day as my Smock, it arrived here yesterday.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

SalomonA wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:08 pm
Just got my shipping email for my smock I ordered from campsaver. It cost 130, but i just had to wait awhile. I guess everyone did.
Same here, just got shipping confirmation this morning. Much excitement, and worth the wait for the deal (to me at least).
~andrew
drexcell

Post by drexcell »

I ordered mine from Cutlery Shoppe on the 20th and had it in my hands on the 22nd when I got home from work (thanks Jeff). I really, really like the knife and have carried it a fair bit since getting it. Mine was smooth opening right out of the box and razor sharp. Taichung has done their usual great work.

I realized that most of my recent Spyderco purchases have been collaborations: Smock (obviously), Techno 2, Amalgam, Kapara, Brouwer and Rhino. I really appreciate Spydercos willingness to work with other knife designers/makers. It adds a variety of design and function that I don't know would be possible if they only did in-house designs. That said, I am now looking forward to the Ikuchi and, hopefully, one day the Swayback and maybe even a Slysz Bowie 2.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Totally agree. Spyderco’s collaborations are letting us knife geeks enjoy innovative and creative designs we would not otherwise be able to find or afford. Good work SpydieCrew!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I’m still trying to find one in stock. 😕
jacala

Post by jacala »

Mine arrived at 11.00 am today.
Took 12 days to get to me.Worth the wait.
Cooooool. LUVIT !!!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I watched Nick’s disassembly video and learned how innovative and well built the knife is. I also watched Mr. Smock’s video after he received the production version. Learned that the clip was modified to make it switchable for left handed users. Although there is some complaints about the knife having a lanyard hole I like that option so that I can remove a clip and carry it in my pocket with a short fob to enable finding and removing it easier.

The Smock has moved up my list as my possible second Spyderco.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:31 pm
I watched Nick’s disassembly video and learned how innovative and well built the knife is. I also watched Mr. Smock’s video after he received the production version. Learned that the clip was modified to make it switchable for left handed users. Although there are some complaints about the knife having a lanyard hole I like that option so that I can remove a clip and carry it in my pocket with a short fob to enable finding and removing it easier.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I watched Nick’s disassembly video and learned how innovative and well built the knife is. I also watched Mr. Smock’s video after he received the production version. Learned that the clip was modified to make it switchable for left handed users. Although there are some complaints about the knife having a lanyard hole I like that option so that I can remove a clip and carry it in my pocket with a short fob to enable finding and removing it easier.

Team Innovation
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

BigGrove wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:01 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:38 am
To me, it feels like this knife was designed around the button-comp lock and flipper tab more so than the hands of the end user.
I feel this is the key point of your review and agree that the needle points a bit more towards form rather than function. Still an interesting design.
Agreed. I've enjoyed carrying my Smock this past week. It is a really cool knife. But.. today I decided to change up my carry and picked up my Para 3.. it instantly felt so much more comfortable in my hand. I would never go as far as to say that I "dislike" the Smock.. but carrying it this week has reinforced to me that my preference goes to function over form.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Spyderco’s in house designs always seem to melt in the hand. So far the most comfortable knife for my hand is my Domino. On any given day my preference for my other knives changes. I’m hoping the Smock feels somewhat similar to my SK23. If so it should be perfect for edc. Probably won’t be the knife I throw in my pocket if I know I’ll be doing a lot of heavy cutting but for most day to day stuff I’m hoping it’ll be just right.
Grrrr the wait is killing me. On my way home from the grocery store I saw my mailman a few blocks over, felt like harassing him to give it to me mid route but I kept going. Should be here in the next couple hours depending on how full his van is...