Smock Anticipation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Smock Anticipation

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I like the button compression lock, but I don't know if it's just me... when trying to open the knife using the flipper tab, my thumb naturally goes where the button is.

Also, when deploying the blade using the flipper tab I find my middle finger rests perfectly in the groove of the stock pocket clip, giving me a better grip on the knife. The knife doesn't seem to ride as terribly high as I had first expected either. Higher than I'd prefer, but manageable. Debating if I'll go with a deep carry clip or not. Will try a swap when I get home see what the difference is when deploying the blade. This clip just seems perfect for my middle finger!

The choil doesn't seem very useful either. Gives my hand an uncomfortable grip when choking up, and is actually a bit sharp.

So far so good though. I love this unique design!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:08 pm
I like the button compression lock, but I don't know if it's just me... when trying to open the knife using the flipper tab, my thumb naturally goes where the button is.

Also, when deploying the blade using the flipper tab I find my middle finger rests perfectly in the groove of the stock pocket clip, giving me a better grip on the knife. The knife doesn't seem to ride as terribly high as I had first expected either. Higher than I'd prefer, but manageable. Debating if I'll go with a deep carry clip or not. Will try a swap when I get home see what the difference is when deploying the blade. This clip just seems perfect for my middle finger!

The choil doesn't seem very useful either. Gives my hand an uncomfortable grip when choking up, and is actually a bit sharp.

The choil looks like it wasn't designed for using, but rather to facilitate the button lock.

With how large it is I'm really confused why they didn't round it out a bit to make it useful as an index choil.
:unicorn
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:11 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

The choil looks like it wasn't designed for using, but rather to facilitate the button lock.

With how large it is I'm really confused why they didn't round it out a bit to make it useful as an index choil.
I’m still waiting on mine from DLT, looks like it’s close to getting to the dreaded Customs now...
Anyways I thought I’d chime in on the choil from my experience with my SK23. I was surprised as well that they didn’t go with a rounded choil as on the custom, however I’ve noticed with the SK23 that when I use the choil I end up wrapping my index back around the pivot area. If I end up holding the Smock in a similar way, I suspect the choil will work nicely.
9C528AE8-E231-4AE5-9148-2E5ACC5FB463.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

And the other grip I use the choil for detailed cuts, same thing should apply.
0D4D966C-8A03-41C6-8768-D52C6487EC4B.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

On my SK23, I can’t remember if I used to put my thumb on the button or not. I don’t now, and suspect that if I did I just got used to holding it differently. Like any new knife, just have to get used to it especially if the ergos are a little different. Just like keeping off a lockbar on some framelocks.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Its definitely different than any other Spyderco I've carried. Working on different grips right now! It really is a nice piece though, a definite keeper.

-Rick
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

8E07537C-3029-4063-96B8-C0B3FE5C0AE4.jpeg
Mine came today and I love it! Had a long Lynch clip so I put it on and it fits. :)
Last edited by holeshot on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 pm
Its definitely different than any other Spyderco I've carried. Working on different grips right now! It really is a nice piece though, a definite keeper.
Congrats Rick!

It's definitely different then any other Spyderco I've handled to date. It took about 5 minutes to get used to the flipper tab. The knife is slim so the thumb and spydie flick are not as easily performed for me personally. I don't see any issues with my wife using the knife as intended because her hands are alot smaller then mine. I really like the button compression lock and the action is fantastic! Very unique design. ...love it!

James
Attachments
2019-02-21 14.42.52.jpg
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Just got home from work, guess I'll see how my spare clips fit and well!

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Really love the slim profile. Look at this thing compared to a Manix! You could have 2 Smocks in your pocket and take up a little more space as 1 Manix.

Gp0CeVAh.jpg

-Rick
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

Got mine in today and really like it. A definite keeper but think there is one thing that could have been done to improve imo. Jimping on that ‘flipper’. My finger has slipped off a few times while fiddling with it. If they do that on future iteration I will sell this one and get that one. Other than that, love it.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Flipping Addict wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:40 pm
Got mine in today and really like it. A definite keeper but think there is one thing that could have been done to improve imo. Jimping on that ‘flipper’. My finger has slipped off a few times while fiddling with it. If they do that on future iteration I will sell this one and get that one. Other than that, love it.

Why don’t you add some?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:46 pm
Flipping Addict wrote:

Why don’t you add some?
Sounds like a great idea. I think I’ll try poor mans jimping before I get out my Dremmel. Time to find the skateboard tape. :D
D7159EBF-2F84-487A-BB16-ADB958D75B68.jpeg
Does help just need to cut it a little short so it clears he blade stop.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

holeshot wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:59 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:46 pm
Flipping Addict wrote:

Why don’t you add some?
Sounds like a great idea. I think I’ll try poor mans jimping before I get out my Dremmel. Time to find the skateboard tape. :D
D7159EBF-2F84-487A-BB16-ADB958D75B68.jpeg
Does help just need to cut it a little short so it clears he blade stop.
Interesting, never had an issue with my SK23, but then again it has a thicker blade stock and probably a different finish. I can’t wait to get mine and compare them! I’m thinking if it’s slippery I’ll probably just give it a ferric chloride treatment on the tab, should provide enough grip...
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Been carrying this knife exclusively since I received it on Thursday. Action has been good, but didn't have the smoothest sound when closing. Sounded like there wasn't enough lube or maybe something caught in the bearings or track. Messed with the pivot screw a bit, but that obviously didn't help.

I pulled up Shabazz's disassembly video and went to work. Sure enough, to my surprise there was hardly any factory lube used. Took it all apart...be VERY careful when doing so if you try it, could be very easy to lose that dent ball! Cleaned everything up, applied some oil, reassembled...boom, perfection!!

Not sure if anybody else had the same issue as me, just wanted to let you guys know, no need to be afraid of dissembling this knife. Very easy and was well worth the effort.

-Rick
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:10 pm
Been carrying this knife exclusively since I received it on Thursday. Action has been good, but didn't have the smoothest sound when closing. Sounded like there wasn't enough lube or maybe something caught in the bearings or track. Messed with the pivot screw a bit, but that obviously didn't help.

I pulled up Shabazz's disassembly video and went to work. Sure enough, to my surprise there was hardly any factory lube used. Took it all apart...be VERY careful when doing so if you try it, could be very easy to lose that dent ball! Cleaned everything up, applied some oil, reassembled...boom, perfection!!

Not sure if anybody else had the same issue as me, just wanted to let you guys know, no need to be afraid of dissembling this knife. Very easy and was well worth the effort.
My wife's Smock had similar "action"! Took it apart and found a good amount of debris (left over machining material ) in/around the bearings. Perfect action upon reassembly :) This blade is as sharp as ANY production knife we've ever purchased. ...it's screaming :eek:

James
Last edited by Extra330SC on Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Funny you say that about how sharp the edge is. My only friend that's as also a knife guy was checking it out on Friday. He puts a wicked edge on his Benchmades and has touched a couple of mine up that I struggled with...he said this edge is so sharp it doesn't even feel sharp hahaha. Never heard that before.

I'm guilty of not cutting anything just yet :o

-Rick
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Received mine a couple days ago. I was prepared to be let down by this one, but instead it was a nice surprise. Ergos are decent and the flipper tab design works well. So far I've not had any slippage issues with the tab using my index or thumb. The slim design is the big winner for me. The Smock just carries so well in the pocket.

My biggest disappointment is the clip location. Normally I don't obsess with having everything deep carry but I just didn't care for it here. That may be partly because Kevin originally designed a different clip for it (shown here) but gave up on it since it wasn't lefty friendly.

Anyway, I had a Pops Custom Clips titanium laying around, so I put it on. I like it better. I can't help but wonder how the Spyderco wire clip would have worked with this design.
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

IMG_20190225_140443.jpg
Pulled the trigger on the Smock on a whim last week when I noticed River's Edge had 2 left in stock. Been fiddling with it/carrying it, and given it some light usage. First impressions:

Ergos fit my hand well. Was worried my finger would come to rest on the lock button naturally, proved not to be the case.
IMG_20190225_140938.jpg
Action is... Different. I don't think it's either worse or better than a standard configuration flipper, or a front flipper. Snappy, smooth, but it took a moment to get used to the flipper tab. After slipping once or twice, I'm used to it. Controlled opens with the :spyder: hole, as well as flicks easy to do from both sides.

Sharpness out of the box ranks up there with my Manix 2 CF/Cruwear, or Gayle Bradley 1 for sharpest out of box :spyder: .

No opinion on the lanyard hole/clip placement, as I don't have a strong preference for deep carry, or a fair amount exposed. Slim in the pocket with a fair amount of real estate exposed.

Overall, happy I pulled the trigger, interested to put it through it's paces as it is a very interesting design. Now please just don't let the Ikuchi drop for a hot second so my wallet can recover :o