Who would like a traditional slip-joint Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like a Spyderco traditional design slip-joint knife?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:18 am

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes: 53

MichaelScott

Who would like a traditional slip-joint Spyderco?

Post by MichaelScott »

I got interested in looking more into slip-joint knives after reading that topic here and playing with my Roadie. Someone here mentioned Grear Eastern Cutlery so I and my pal Google went looking.

I don’t know about you but I was really taken with this one:

(Courtesy of BladeHQ’s site)

Wow, said I. But, I’m not so interested in the steel and the price is right up there with a Para Military 2.

I’m wondering if there is interest in Spyderco making a similar traditional slip-joint with better steel. It could even be a two-hand opener.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dsvirsky

Re: Who would like a traditional slip-joint Spyderco?

Post by dsvirsky »

I like traditional slipjoints, even own a few very nice (i.e., custom) ones:
Rogerspearlcongress[1].jpg
I also like my Spydies and, quite frankly, the two are completely different animals. I don't think it would be a good idea for Spyderco to invest resources into trying to make a quality, traditional, slipjoint (which would, by definition, be a two handed opener).
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Voted no, sorry. I’m just looking for more modern slipjoints from Spyderco.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:18 am
the price is right up there with a Para Military 2.

I think they should be compared more to something like Spyderco's sprint runs. For most of the GEC knives, they only make one run and that's the end of the model.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I wouldn't mind seeing what Spyderco could do in this area. Make it a flash batch.

Of course this would be a pretty radical change of gears for the company, so I'm kind of doubtful we'd see it come to reality.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
setldown

Post by setldown »

There some video out there of the steps that go into making a slip joint and it's just not something you'd do a flash batch of. The tooling, steps, dies, craftspeople. It ain't gonna happen.
Maybe a collaboration.
https://youtu.be/ZeHWa5jyO74
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

dsvirsky wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm
I like traditional slipjoints, even own a few very nice (i.e., custom) ones:
Rogerspearlcongress[1].jpg
I also like my Spydies and, quite frankly, the two are completely different animals. I don't think it would be a good idea for Spyderco to invest resources into trying to make a quality, traditional, slipjoint (which would, by definition, be a two handed opener).
Pretty much what you said.

I'd rather see Spyderco produce more modern slip joints of their own design.

I always thought it was interesting that slip joint fans like the traditional designs because they're "simpler". Except for shadow patterns and sodbusters, most have twice as many pieces involved in their construction, and require quite a bit more hand fitting to assemble. Coupled with the cost to R&D, what would surely be a small production run, and the cost of materials, I think the cost would be more than what even GEC fans are willing to pay.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

No, for the same reason I don’t want a Buck 110 auto. I’ve also read elsewhere on the forum that Sal isn’t interested in doing a nail nick knife.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think that the slim profile of the traditional slip joint is part of its appeal. I'm not sure how you'd mate that with a spydie hole.

I love the UKPK and the Urban. I'm not sure if a traditional slip joint could push them out of my pocket at all.

I think for it to really work, it would have to compare favorable with the BM offering (the Proper). And I'm not sure if it would really fit the Spyderco ergonomic feel if they did that.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think it would be neat to see what Spyderco could do with a design like this, but it's not something I'd see myself buying.

I've handled the Benchmade Proper, and it's a well executed knife, but I've got no plans to buy one. For 1/5th the price, I get a lot more utility out of a swiss army knife.

I've purged all traditional slipjoints from my collection (Unless you count SAKs) because they're not something that I ever carry. Well, all except one. I held on to a Queen D2 stockman because it reminds me of my grandfather, and Queen has shut down so it feels like a piece of history in a way. It's been about 8 years since it saw pocket time.

Besides offering a unique steel for this type of knife, I'm not quite sure what Spyderco could do to set their traditional slip joint apart from others on the market. Any ideas?
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

spyderco is great at being spyderco and gec is great at being gec. i think it would take a large sum of money to retool for this kind of knife and it probably wouldn't be as good as what other companies that make traditional knives their work are already producing. also, spyderco kind of made their mark on the industry by innovating us away from in-pocket slipjoints with nail nicks. i enjoy a good traditional knife, but not as much as spydie flicking my manix 2 lw. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My take on this matter is that Spyderco is modernist in its impulses. It has produced slip-its not to emulate traditional slip-joints but to reach restrictive knife markets with its surprising designs, not old-school ones, which can be had elsewhere. I’d rather Spyderco keep doing what separates it from the pack.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I collect both traditionals (mainly GEC) and moderns (mainly Spyderco).
Love both equally. I personally would love some traditional spirited models. Bone, slipping, bolsters.
However, I don't want traditional construction Spyderco's. I doubt Spyderco could do it. GEC's are pretty much wholly handmade. Not really any cnc or stuff like that. Everybody in that shop has been doing what they do for a long time and really only doing that one thing. Traditionals, to the quality of GEC, are their own world. It would be a massive investment for Spyderco to attempt making a line of traditionals. And not just tool costs but people cost.
Besides, it does go outside of the Spyderco idiom.
Would be super down for more Spyderco modern traditionals.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

I voted a big no, but just for fun I poorly photo shopped a traditional scale to a UK pen knife to see what it might look like.

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It would appear that Spyderco and GEC occupy different ends of the pocket knife spectrum. I think, like Spyderco, GEC knives are stunningly beautiful, excellently constructed and represent the best works of the knifemakers art. I have a GEC Buffalo Jack coming. It actually does remind me of my grandfathers and connects me to them in a small way, Maybe my Spydies will do the same for my kids some day.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:53 pm
My take on this matter is that Spyderco is modernist in its impulses. It has produced slip-its not to emulate traditional slip-joints but to reach restrictive knife markets with its surprising designs, not old-school ones, which can be had elsewhere. I’d rather Spyderco keep doing what separates it from the pack.
Exactly my sentiments.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I voted no but it's more than just interest.

I grew up with Case and the whole reason I'm here is because of the advancements Spyderco have made away from those style of knives (one hand opening, pocket clips). Spyderco do technically have their Bug line which are probably as close to a traditional pen knife that we'll ever see.

The other issue is cost. People want bolsters and fancy inlays but then when the knife has an MSRP over $300 everyone cries about it and asks why it has to cost so much. If you factor in a second blade that's even more cost.

Then there's the question of where will it be made, and my guess would be Japan/Moki and then there's the question of fit and finish in what could be a somewhat complex knife to build with lots of parts to fit together and lots of chances for poor fit and finish. Maybe I'm wrong here and Taichung could do it but it doesn't seem like their typical style while Japan/Moki have done all the previous Kopas and Kiwis so that seems a more likely fit to me.

That said I have asked for a nicer version of the Grasshopper many times but got little to no support for it.

Lastly the reality is the only thing Spyderco could offer is trust in the materials and build quality, since if you remove the clip and thumb hole, what else is there to compare to the many companies who are still making very nice knives in this style?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I voted yes. I really enjoy my traditional slipjoints, from GEC, Enigma, Case and others. As good of a knife that my Urban is, it’s pretty far removed from traditional, and the action leaves much to be desired. My Kiwi is close but if it were a more traditional wharncliffe shape and nicer than just steel handled, oh and in a better blade steel, I’m sure I’d use it more. I get that setting up equipment for a new design would be costly but perhaps working with the old Kiwi might be an option? It is well made and nice strong pull.

Edit to add: after posting, I googled. Turns out it looks like they had the slipjoint kiwi with stag covers, wouldn’t be my first choice but nice enough anyway. They have of course used a more traditional wharncliffe on the more recent kiwi so we know that’s a possibility, so last piece of the puzzle is better steel than the 8cr13mov that I think the kiwi I have is in. Pretty sure Spyderco has access to a few alternatives.
Not sure what price point they’d be able to bring it in at but I’d be interested if if came in comparable to GEC.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
quattro98

Post by quattro98 »

I like Spyderco for my EDC knives where they make truly useful core designs with great steel & grinds. I also like their use of FRN and G-10 handles. They are a nice alternative to the elaborately styled knives with thick blades and titanium/carbon fiber handles just to look fancy.

For slip joints, GEC are great for collecting a true traditional. The Case Bose knives are nice to see traditional patterns made with modern technology (EDM cutting, etc.). Lionsteel (and Benchmade) make a slip joint with a modern twist.

The Roadie is a great design and uniquely Spyderco. I rarely carry mine (these days its a Para 3, Native 5 LW, Chaparral LW, or a Lionsteel CK slip joint), but I like the intent and focused design to meet the stated purpose.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd like to see spyderco bring back the original jess horn. That was a spyderco traditional. Unfortunately I think everything is required to have the round hole now.

The Persian and Kris were "semi traditional" with the bolsters. I too carry GEC knives from time to time but I wish they worked with better steels. My "traditional" edc lately has been the case/Bose coke bottle swing guard. It's ffg ATS-34 and it has a "mid lock" by some other name. I can open and close it one handed and it rides in a leather belt sheath. Has that nice look but modern materials and functionality.