REX 45 Military In Stock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gsg9

Re: REX 45 Military In Stock!

Post by Gsg9 »

Mine looks good as well

Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Bladeops had some for a few minutes, so with BHQ getting a few it looks like the mail arrived in Utah.
anycal

Post by anycal »

What a strange release this is. Why it was released to some dealers, but not the main ones, like BHQ and KC?

BHQ has them 'out of stock' now, as opposed to 'coming soon'. Not sure what to make of that. Where the **** is my KC pre-order?!

KC said they don't have them yet. Anyone talked to BHQ?
Peter
crow2071

Post by crow2071 »

anycal wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:30 pm
What a strange release this is. Why it was released to some dealers, but not the main ones, like BHQ and KC?

BHQ has them 'out of stock' now, as opposed to 'coming soon'. Not sure what to make of that. Where the **** is my KC pre-order?!

BHQ had them in stock today but I believe they're sold out now. That was around noon. PST.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

anycal wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:30 pm

I plan to call and bail out of my KC pre-order early tomorrow. It is weird. I've been trying to be patient, but have shot my bolt on that. I may never do a pre-order again. I think it is better to be on your toes and grab something tangible when you can lay hands on it. And to think of the months and months of "rest easy, we've got your back" messages. If they ship me a knife before I get out of bed tomorrow, fine.

Just to note, I'm not saying that KC has done anything amiss. I suppose if they don't have knives to ship, they just don't and what can they do about it. But if they are like the airlines and selling more seats than there are on the plane (or they don't know how big the plane is and just hope for the best), I don't want to be out in the cold. I know, it is just a knife -- life goes on.
Last edited by Tucson Tom on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Rutger wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:15 am
Maybe I'm missing something with this over sharpening thing but I believe what you guys are seeing is the difference in how blades are sharpened. The edge used to go all the way to the plunge line but apparently the robots can't get that close so you sometimes see a small bit if blade that has no bevel ground into it and that seems to give the appearance that the bevel is ground deeper than it should be. I say this because I don't recall ever hearing this claim 5 years ago when the edge hit the plunge line. At most you heard complaints about unevel bevel widths but now that we see less of that our focus has moved on to the next detail.
No they mean something different. It's not about how close the edge gets to the plunge grind. It's about how deep the edge grind is. Essentially you already lost some life off your knife before you even used it. I've taken the Bentobox picture and made an edit to show it. But my military's do not have this issue.

Okay I am going to be a jerk on purpose this is why you do not purchase from an online retailer with an independent attitude that overcharges on shipping and refuses refunds. The knife is for all intents and purposes sound but the buyer paid a premium price and now is unhappy because the end product has failed to meet high expectations that spyderco themselves have set as a bar.

My advice call Spyderco and see if Sal will help you out. The retailers are one thing but I have great faith in Sal and Spyderco, it would not surprise me if they offer to grind that down for you.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:21 pm
Rutger wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:38 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:15 am
Maybe I'm missing something with this over sharpening thing but I believe what you guys are seeing is the difference in how blades are sharpened. The edge used to go all the way to the plunge line but apparently the robots can't get that close so you sometimes see a small bit if blade that has no bevel ground into it and that seems to give the appearance that the bevel is ground deeper than it should be. I say this because I don't recall ever hearing this claim 5 years ago when the edge hit the plunge line. At most you heard complaints about unevel bevel widths but now that we see less of that our focus has moved on to the next detail.
No they mean something different. It's not about how close the edge gets to the plunge grind. It's about how deep the edge grind is. Essentially you already lost some life off your knife before you even used it. I've taken the Bentobox picture and made an edit to show it. But my military's do not have this issue.

Okay I am going to be a jerk on purpose this is why you do not purchase from an online retailer with an independent attitude that overcharges on shipping and refuses refunds. The knife is for all intents and purposes sound but the buyer paid a premium price and now is unhappy because the end product has failed to meet high expectations that spyderco themselves have set as a bar.

My advice call Spyderco and see if Sal will help you out. The retailers are one thing but I have great faith in Sal and Spyderco, it would not surprise me if they offer to grind that down for you.

I'd call that 0.5mm short of design ideal...

For me the bevel ending short of the plunge grind is a pet peve, so I have a stone for my sharpening system that's specifically spec'd to work for re-grinding this area so the bevel meets the plunge exactly. If mine has this malady when it arrives (*if* that is, since I'm on the KC boat :( though my order was placed on the first day preorder was available, so I'm not terribly worried), I'll be a little bummed, but I won't consider it a major issue, as I can fix it when I do the first sharpening/bevel reset.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:21 pm
I won't consider it a major issue, as I can fix it when I do the first sharpening/bevel reset.
Agree!

This is a non-issue IMHO. Learn to adjust your edge to your liking and move on. ;)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

vgex

Post by vgex »

Was just about to post the same. Now that I've got a Millie on the way, I kind a wished I picked up a Para 3 to complete the set.

OOS at 15:30ish.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Can't catch one of these, dealers must not be getting very many of these, and the email notification request at BHQ never seems to work.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I had email notifications requested from three places so far that have had this Millie but I received none. This has happened before, so I don't rely on them. The only place that has ever sent a useful, real-time notification was K Plus.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

vgex wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:50 pm
Was just about to post the same. Now that I've got a Millie on the way, I kind a wished I picked up a Para 3 to complete the set.

OOS at 15:30ish.
There is one on bf for a reasonable price.
Justin
vgex

Post by vgex »

crazywednesday wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:24 pm
vgex wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:50 pm
..., I kind a wished I picked up a Para 3 to complete the set...
There is one on bf for a reasonable price.
Thanks for the heads up, but more wishful thinking than anything.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Granted it's expensive, there seems to be a bit of nit picking here
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I nuked my KC preorder and ordered one from one of the smaller shops that has them in stock. It is on the way. I was late to the party on this anyway, so I am probably way down near the end of the list at KC (or was). I am/was especially excited about this particular model and didn't want to find myself kicking myself. And I enjoy giving business to smaller shops where you deal with real people.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I used my “Rex45” money on a really great knife I got for a major discount with all the weekend sales. The Sprints Game was cute and fun the first few months, now it’s just old and played out.
The economy is doing great right now and most people have a job if they want one. When things slow down, this whole Sprints craze is over.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
brj

Post by brj »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:51 pm
Mine looks good as well
Indeed it does :) And how's yer own Millie accumulation going on? ;)

Rutger wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:51 pm
It's about how deep the edge grind is. Essentially you already lost some life off your knife before you even used it.
To me this is only a cosmetic issue. If it bothers you, you can address it, as suggested, on first sharpening (or later on). For the record, I don't think it takes a lot out of the useful life of the blade. It might (or might not prove the point), but here is the effect of almost 10 years of sharpening on my S30V Millie. YMMV, of course.

anycal

Post by anycal »

KC just charged my CC. Getting closer...
Peter
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »