REX 45 Military In Stock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Re: REX 45 Military In Stock!

Post by tps3443 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 pm
I'm yet to own a Military, and this is the one that screams at me. I just fear due to the size that I won't carry it often. I've seen many posts that it shrinks over time, once you get used to it. Hate being on the fence, especially with one that will come and go in the blink of an eye!
I’m hoping it’s not to big for me either. I’ll find out tomorrow when mine finally arrives. I didn’t like the resilience because the blade was like a spatula! I could’ve used it to spank my children with haha.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 am
I ordered mine from Bento.

I did so partly because of the surprising (unprecedented?) discount, and partly because the whereabouts of sprints has, it seems to me, become very unpredictable, what with lots of online sellers I’ve not heard of playing a bigger (and dissipating) role.

I was not about to lose out on a Rex45 Millie as its production run leaked away unseen!

Besides, Bento offers predictable service and rather nice exclusives (including the S90V Millie). The Rex45 Millie is my third Bento order. Never had a reason to return an order. I sense Bento has made sure the Spydies it offers don’t need returning.

For me, it’s about availability, then price. the much-maligned Bento did me a solid with a significant discount.
A significant discount of MAP + $15?

I try not to poke too much fun, but that is daft. BBS as a company is a joke, they charge exorbitant prices, shipping costs are double what is reasonable and they don't accept returns.
How they stay in business is beyond me.

I'd like to sell you a car, sir! ;)

Now, I will crawl back under my bridge and take a nap.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

tps3443 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:58 pm
But rust? I don’t think anything looks good rusted.
Hey, hey, whoa. Cor-ten steel makes architecture interesting.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m in N FL and M4 does rust. Mine started fast during post-hurricane cleanup. I sweated completely through everything I was wearing and the blade had condensation spots all over it. By the time I got my shower at the end of the day I had pits in the blade.

I’ve only used my rex45 pm2 on one camping trip so far; used it to chop up some kielbasa and tomato. It started staining pretty quickly, about like my M4 p3 did with apples. I anticipate corrosion with it too in a sweat saturated pocket. Now I know I need to be a little more careful.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:27 pm
I’m in N FL and M4 does rust. Mine started fast during post-hurricane cleanup. If sweated completely through everything I was wearing and the blade had condensation spots all over it. By the time I got my shower at the end of the day I had pits in the blade.

I’ve only used my rex45 pm2 on one camping trip so far; used it to chop up some kielbasa and tomato. It started staining pretty quickly, about like my M4 p3 did with apples. I anticipate corrosion with it too in a sweat saturated pocket. Now I know I need to be a little more careful.
Wow! Do you mind? Does it bother you? Do you prefer the steel and don’t mind rusting? Or wouldn’t you rather have like S30V, S35V, maybe eve S110V, or S90V?
“My daily razor blade”
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’m not thrilled by the pits. But they are very small. Now that I know it can happen that fast I know I need to be a bit more careful, or use a different knife for those days, like a Salt series. I’d say I was able to remove 99% of the corrosion with flitz and elbow grease. There was no corrosion at the pivot. All that said, M4 is so responsive to sharpening, so easy to get scary sharp, that I wouldn't trade it for a more corrosion resistant steel that’s harder for me to sharpen. I’m very happy with its performance. I find similar performance with other tool steels.

I will likely never buy another knife in s30v, I’ve had some bad experiences and it’s soured me. S110v is reportedly quite the chore to sharpen; I’ll pass. CTS-XHP, S90v and s35vn seem to get high marks. I’ll wait and watch on those, but I’m not in a hurry. I’m willing to accept a little maintenance in exchange for what I perceive as outstanding performance.
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm
I’m willing to accept a little maintenance in exchange for what I perceive as outstanding performance.
This is where I have ended up. I have been a mostly stainless person for a long time because it is often wet and humid where I live. Then I got some M4. I love the edge it takes, and holds. I also had some rust issues with it. After a backpacking trip there were rust spots where sweat had condensed on the exposed part of the blade. Nothing bad (no pits), but still there. I gave the entire blade a vinegar bath, and the patina has improved the resistance to corrosion.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm
I’m not thrilled by the pits. But they are very small. Now that I know it can happen that fast I know I need to be a bit more careful, or use a different knife for those days, like a Salt series. I’d say I was able to remove 99% of the corrosion with flitz and elbow grease. There was no corrosion at the pivot. All that said, M4 is so responsive to sharpening, so easy to get scary sharp, that I wouldn't trade it for a more corrosion resistant steel that’s harder for me to sharpen. I’m very happy with its performance. I find similar performance with other tool steels.

I will likely never buy another knife in s30v, I’ve had some bad experiences and it’s soured me. S110v is reportedly quite the chore to sharpen; I’ll pass. CTS-XHP, S90v and s35vn seem to get high marks. I’ll wait and watch on those, but I’m not in a hurry. I’m willing to accept a little maintenance in exchange for what I perceive as outstanding performance.
I had a little learning curve with S110V, but I was new to knives in general.

S110V is the most corrosion resistant steel coming only 2nd to the Spyderco Salt series of knives. If you can sharpen M4, you can sharpen S110V.

Honestly I’m kind of a CPM S110V Guru! After seeing it hold a shaving edge after 2 days of hard usage, who wouldn’t be. I am very picky about sharpness, and a perfect edge.

Now bare in mind, I own a Wicked Edge and I sharpen on diamonds. It is not at all difficult to sharpen.. I think people have really blown that out of proportion. It is no harder to sharpen than your average quality steels.

Only S110V will hold a edge for a very very long time. I touch up my edge every 2 days with only leather strops. And it brings it back to a super shaver! Bare in mind, I work and use my knife constantly at about 8 hours everyday day. It is in my hand, or laying open at the ready at an arms reach, and hardly ever in my pocket. So it is the only knife I’ve owned that can keep up with my rigorous cutting needs at work. A shaving sharp 8cr13mov knife would last about an hour or two.

Hope that helps. S110V is awesome! Don’t overthink sharpening it.. it’s really not difficult at all. Not to mention it’ll never rust. you could leave it outside in salt water for a few days in the sun, and just rinse it off and go!
“My daily razor blade”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

^Not to get too far off topic, but I agree with tps here. I have not found S110V to be inordinately difficult to sharpen. For me, it just takes a little bit longer. Not even that much longer. I use diamonds with a guided system as well.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
vivi

Post by vivi »

Diamonds make a huge difference with the more wear resistant steels.
:unicorn
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Will shapton pro stones cut s110v? I'm kinda excited about the high carbon too steels, I want to play with high polish, thin edges.

Woodpuppy, what was wrong with your s30v knives?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Yeah, all this is fine -- but is anyone seeing any of these Rex45 Military knives getting shipped?
I am fretting over a preorder I placed months ago. If I can find somebody who actually has these in stock and is shipping,
I think I'll place an order and cancel the preorder.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:27 pm
I’m in N FL and M4 does rust. Mine started fast during post-hurricane cleanup. I sweated completely through everything I was wearing and the blade had condensation spots all over it. By the time I got my shower at the end of the day I had pits in the blade.

I know that look well. I live in the subtropics near water, and during the hottest part of the year I primarily wear running shorts outside of work. Carrying my folders IWB, they look like that daily.

My DLC Manix XL is the only knife that has remained rust free in these conditions besides my salts. DLC is no joke when it comes to adding corrosion resistance in my experience. Helps that on the Manix XL the liners are coated too.

FWIW I've taken that knife apart and checked every crevice for rust. Not a single speck. I'd rust an uncoated one in a single day.
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 pm
They weren’t Spydercos! They were ZT and Benchmade. Issues were partly the knives, and probably partly my sharpening ability at the time. I had long chips out of the edge on a BM and it was inordinately difficult for me to fix compared to a D2 and a 154cm blade that I also chipped. I only have one s30v blade left; it’s a first production run Benchmade 210 that I like for its form. I finally overcame sharpening trials and tribulations in that knife by using the sharpie trick to reveal what I was actually accomplishing. It was ground very obtusely. Now it’s 30 degrees inclusive. Now it cuts and can be touched up easily. But the experience has thoroughly soured me on that steel. Whether or not Spyderco’s s30v is superior is just not something I intend to find out given the other awesome steels that are available.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Got a shipping notice for mine from Lamnia today. Got it cheap when they had it on sale last weekend. They are in stock there now, but the price ain't so great anymore. I had to pay €185.40. If i remove the 21% VAT and convert it to USD it be around $173.40 that i paid.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:22 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 am
I ordered mine from Bento.

I did so partly because of the surprising (unprecedented?) discount, and partly because the whereabouts of sprints has, it seems to me, become very unpredictable, what with lots of online sellers I’ve not heard of playing a bigger (and dissipating) role.

I was not about to lose out on a Rex45 Millie as its production run leaked away unseen!

Besides, Bento offers predictable service and rather nice exclusives (including the S90V Millie). The Rex45 Millie is my third Bento order. Never had a reason to return an order. I sense Bento has made sure the Spydies it offers don’t need returning.

For me, it’s about availability, then price. the much-maligned Bento did me a solid with a significant discount.
A significant discount of MAP + $15?

I try not to poke too much fun, but that is daft. BBS as a company is a joke, they charge exorbitant prices, shipping costs are double what is reasonable and they don't accept returns.
How they stay in business is beyond me.

I'd like to sell you a car, sir! ;)

Now, I will crawl back under my bridge and take a nap.
Being daft, I can be ribbed, but will not be sold a car.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:14 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 pm
They weren’t Spydercos! They were ZT and Benchmade. Issues were partly the knives, and probably partly my sharpening ability at the time. I had long chips out of the edge on a BM and it was inordinately difficult for me to fix compared to a D2 and a 154cm blade that I also chipped. I only have one s30v blade left; it’s a first production run Benchmade 210 that I like for its form. I finally overcame sharpening trials and tribulations in that knife by using the sharpie trick to reveal what I was actually accomplishing. It was ground very obtusely. Now it’s 30 degrees inclusive. Now it cuts and can be touched up easily. But the experience has thoroughly soured me on that steel. Whether or not Spyderco’s s30v is superior is just not something I intend to find out given the other awesome steels that are available.
I have had S30 Rust and pit on me as well living in South Florida. All it took was moving in the heat of September and a para3 combo I loved not only rusted but got pits, I was really upset over this.

I have never had S35VN rust ever even leaving it out wet testing it in the kitchen.

In my experience it holds a blade a little longer than S30V and is easier to sharpen and a bit more toothier of a edge where as s30V is Smoother.

I have also noticed S110V is smoother as well, and as others have shared it is not difficult to sharpen with a Wicked Edge Pro but I guarantee you it will take longer to reprofile and will absolutely chip at the lower grits but not to worry as you progress to finer grits the chips disappear.

I have also found this to be true of S90V but S90V is much easier to reprofile and despite common wisdom I have one holding an edge at 10 degrees for quite some time now and not needing sharpening. No chipping from cutting anything including zip ties with little caution to lateral stressing either.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ the above helps bolster my choice to go with tool steels or steels like 52100 that are much tougher and forgiving, but do require some care. Or as Vivi pointed out, a coating to help keep corrosion at bay.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Hate to derail the thread, but there's a couple at hand-tools.com

If no one ordered already.

https://www.hand-tools.com/product-deta ... PC36GPBORE
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Just curious, has anyone ordered from them before?