Double stuff 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spackla

Double stuff 2?

Post by Spackla »

So the coarse side of the double stuff 2 has cbn coating, but what is under the coating? What happens when you wear away alll the cbn?
sal

Re: Double stuff 2?

Post by sal »

Hi Spackla,

Welcome to our forum.

The CBN is plated onto steel embryo with a nickle alloy plating. The CBN shouldn't wear much, unless you are pressing too hard. It doesn't take much pressure for the CBN to cut the steel. Many people think that if you press harder, it cuts faster, but that isn't so. Pressing harder just dislodges the CBN stone from the matrix. So it isn't a wear problem but a pressure problem that "wears" diamond and CBN stones.

sal
Spackla

Post by Spackla »

Thanks for the answer! So if I understand you right it will wear so little that it will take a loooong time before it wears out? (If proper pressure is used)

Should I interprete that as a loooooooooooooong time before it wears out? :)
sal

Post by sal »

correct.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco is truly the king of small, portable sharpening tools. Some time back there was a thread discussing the possibility of a smaller scale 204 Sharpmaker. Not really knowing how big or small the GAUNTLET is going to be I'm wondering if that wouldn't be a good idea. Because with Spyderco being the king of small, portable sharpening tools that might just be a great idea for traveling, camping, hunting fishing ect.

I love all the DOUBLESTUFF stones. I still have 2 of my older, original DOUBLESTUFF stones. I also have a couple of sets of the 702 Profiles which is the half sized version of the 701 Profiles. And believe me I find plenty of uses and those and other small sharpening tools and they all fit easily in a fanny pack.

I also hope there will be other types of DOUBLESTUFF stones in different grits. I love the ULTRA FINE stones so much I wish they were available in smaller tools.