Opinions on the Ronin 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
baseball

Opinions on the Ronin 2

Post by baseball »

Hey all I have the all time great that is the Yojimbo 2 and like the idea of a fixed blade version of it. Any Ronin owners here? Do you like it?
Hermit
Michael Janich

Re: Opinions on the Ronin 2

Post by Michael Janich »

I'm really fond of mine, but I might be a little biased...

Stay safe,

Mike
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I love mine when I decide to carry a fixed blade. For its size it carries really well. Its very slim. The G clip has excellent retention either clipped to the belt or IWB. I definitely recommend it.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
vivi

Post by vivi »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:17 am
I love mine when I decide to carry a fixed blade. For its size it carries really well. Its very slim. The G clip has excellent retention either clipped to the belt or IWB. I definitely recommend it.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr
Could you PM me a link to that GEC fixed blade? Looks pretty nice!

I'm a big fan of the Ronin 2. I've used the **** out of mine, it's definitely not a model you have to baby and reserve only for its intended application. Mine has broken down tons of boxes, been taken on camping trips and used to start fires and cut rope, it's quartered some apples and halved cantaloupes. Mine has been reprofiled and sharpened many times.

The design appealed to me for a few reasons. I liked the ergonomics of the Yojimbo 2, but looking at the fixed version I could tell it would fit me even better. CTSBD1 is a steel most overlook, but I love how it performs. Very corrosion resistant, tough for a stainless (I've chopped directly into rocks with my BD1 Voyager XL with minimal damage), and it takes a SCREAMINING SHARP edge. Hands down the Ronin 2 gets sharper for me than any other Spyderco I own. The combination of the wharncliffe edge and BD1 steel make it a dream to sharpen.

The cutting performance is better than I expected. This is a good example of a hollow grind done well. I love how thin and pointy the tip is too, pierces cardboard and fruits with ease.

Very attractive price point as well.
:unicorn