Do most of us need larger knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Do most of us need larger knives?

Post by MichaelScott »

Really? Real collectors aside, speaking of those who carry a knife in order to cut the occasional thing during the day (not kitchen duties), how many of us really need a “larger” knife, anything over 3”? I am also excepting those whose job requires frequent cutting of heavier or tougher materials. I’m focused on most of us who don’t spend considerable time in the woods or on a fishing boat but in the office, at home, etc.

One of my constant pocket knives is this Lil’ Lum which, today, broke down some cardboard shipping boxes.

No problem. My Para Military 2 stayed on the shelf, and begs the question, why do i need it?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
spyderg

Re: Do most of us need larger knives?

Post by spyderg »

I typically like to carry about a 3 1/2” modern folder just in case a task comes my way that requires it. However 90%+ of my daily cutting tasks are easily handled by a small slipjoint.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I find I either need nothing larger than my Squeak, Dragonfly or Chaparral, or else I need as large as possible i.e. my Military (and hence my current yen for a P4).
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The Military weighs little more than many small knives, has a great blade with a thin tip and carries very well. I very rarely think "I wish I brought a smaller knife" unless it's in a setting where a 4" blade brings unwanted attention.. I usually carry a C22 or Techno when doing office work and something in the 3.5-4" size when I expect to do a bit more cutting or being outdoors.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I don't know...to be honest, I probably don't need a knife with a blade over 3" but since when was this knife hobby about needs? :p

I prefer a blade to be 3.5 to 4" long. I find a longer blade to be more versatile and useful for a wider range of tasks. As David said, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Well, not everyone's a midget. People with larger hands like a comfortable knife.

A Delica has zero ergonomics for me.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Need is not an effective word. Do you "need" a house, car, food, etc. Do you "need" a computer, TV, etc. ? Do you need steak or even meat?

I Want to carry as large of a knife as I can legally and sometimes I will carry a larger knife. I can just do more with a larger knife. I will sometimes carry a smaller knife (Manbug) but almost always too accompany a larger blade.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I don’t eat with folders ever so I don’t need anything more than a Man/Ladybug.

I work in an office environment but spend a fair bit of time onboard Naval Vessels and a warehouse environment and look for stuff to cut.

I carry a Military because is a gem that’s so easy to carry and I just plain like everything about the knife. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I could probably get by with less but I find larger folders useful. Three inch blades are great but the 3.5 to 4 inch blades give me plenty of blade without being unwieldy so that is the range I gravitate towards.

I am a blue collar guy with a job that has a significant variety of duties. I literally never know what I might be doing on a given day and my job requires me to spend a lot of time in the woods and pretty much never in an office.

I also believe in always carrying two knives. Sometimes you need the control that a smaller knife offers. For the past three weeks that has been a Shaman and a Maxamet NativeLW. Starting today I have switched it to the S110V Para2 and the Maxamet NativeLW. I had to cut a bunch of foam board and rockwool for a project at work and wanted a little better edge retention. That rockwool is hard on edges.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Most of my cutting needs could be handled by a small slip joint. I carry a large knife and a small knife for many reasons. Same as I often carry cash, though I don’t need it. Same as I drive an All Wheel drive car even in clement weather. My house has many more rooms than I “need”. The question is not do I need a larger knife, or house or car it’s something else. I will leave that discussion for another time.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm a small knife enthusiast. But I carry for SD too and 3" (or just under) is a minimum for me there. I'm carrying the McBee and the Shaman right now. I'm sure I'll use both throughout the day at work depending on what I'm doing. I could probably get by with just the McBee or a dragonfly, lil native, etc., but with the sketchy people on public transportation, I'm really glad for the Shaman/para3/para2/native/delica/tasman/yo2 in my pocket.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

The ukpk is always on me....the rest are nice to have and wants.
Not many people need a knife at all, but those who carry can’t imagine not carrying one
anycal

Post by anycal »

I am definitely in the other camp - I'd rather have a bigger blade for any task. I don't believe I ever wished for a smaller knife while using a PM2 or a Military. And I don't have guerrilla hands. I always had a larger knife and that is what I am used to.

I have plenty of smaller knives and do enjoy using them. But back to the, 'if I could only keep one', I would definitely keep a larger one rather than smaller.

Bloke wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:27 pm
... I ... look for stuff to cut.

Word! Sometimes I even have to go out of my way to find it :D Wasn't it was the most interesting man in the world who said, 'I don't always cut things, but when I do I use the (Para)Military'... or something like that.
Peter
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:37 pm
Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
If that was true, I’d have to hire a string of Sherpas to carry all that stuff. :D
Last edited by MichaelScott on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

kodai78 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:34 pm
Same as I drive ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

shunsui wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:17 pm
Well, not everyone's a midget. People with larger hands like a comfortable knife.

A Delica has zero ergonomics for me.
Yes, this!

I’m 6’2” 200lb big hands, the Mili is normal sized for me...the Para 3 just feels awful in hand. Also agree, never said “sure wish I had a smaller knife”.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

As a stone-fanatic fly fisherman once said, “Need is synonymous with want.” So true.

There are times when I don’t need a knife at all for perhaps hours or days. In my particular situation I hardly ever need a large knife. There have been times when large was not only good but necessary.

I’m not saying that if you don’t have the functional need for a big knife you shouldn’t have one. I have a Para Military 2. I have an absolute lust for the Hundred Pacer. Why? I certainly don’t need one, but it stands outside need, being a unique work of the knife makers’ art. I would undoubtedly carry it and use it but odds are I would never need it.

I was attempting to point out that objectively many of us can use a small knife for most of the cutting tasks we frequently encounter. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have and enjoy large knives. I’m a case in point.

Team Innovation
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I don't find that I NEED larger knives everytime I cut something. I do however almost always WANT to use the biggest knife I have on my person for any given task.

Do I NEED to whip out my orange SE Spyderhawk in a flash to cut a piece of thread? No, but I want to make sure the thread knows I mean business.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I guess I could say on a typical week day at work, I don't NEED any knife. They provide us with retractable box cutters and strapping cutting shears. But...theres no fun in that

I could get by with my Chaparral or hap40 Delica just fine. But I enjoy using a different knife almost everyday. Test out the ergos and the steels, plus I enjoy learning and practicing my sharpening techniques on various steels and size/shape blades.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick