What are your thoughts on Spyderco's Peel-ply Carbon Fiber?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What do you think of Spyderco's G10/CF laminate?

I prefer it to regular carbon fiber
18%
I don't have a preference bettween the peel-ply CF and normal CF
22%
I would like spyderco to use normal CF even if it was more expensive
43%
other
17%

Total votes: 100

rossco599

Re: What are your thoughts on Spyderco's Peel-ply Carbon Fiber?

Post by rossco599 »

Does carbon fiber/g10 laminate and peel ply cf both have the same look and feel besides the edges?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

rossco599 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 am
Does carbon fiber/g10 laminate and peel ply cf both have the same look and feel besides the edges?
Peel ply cf is much more grippy than the g10 laminate
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm not a fan of peel-ply, whether it be applied to CF or G-10. That said, if I have to carry a peel-ply handled knife, I'd take Japanese peel-ply CF over US peel-ply CF, and either over peel-ply G-10. The Japanese stuff strikes a nice balance between comfort and grip, the American peel-ply CF is a bit too aggressively textured for my taste, but both will outlast the peel-ply texturing on G-10. I'm guessing that last is due to the different resins used. My absolute favorite CF is the nubby textured laminate used on the CF Chaparral and a number of other models from Taichung.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
garret

Post by garret »

What do you call the CF they use in the dodo? It is very soft, with very little grip
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Love it love it love it
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

I am not sure about the difference between full CF or peel-ply CF or the CF/G-10 laminate, as the only knife with CF that I own is the Sage 5. I believe the Sage 5 has the CF/G-10 laminate and I really like it. It looks fancy enough to wear with more formal attire and provides enough grip without being rough on the pockets.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I quite like the grippiness and look of the peel-ply CF on the pm2, which is the only knife I have with those scales. But they feel lighter, to the point it feeling delicate. I don’t care for the price, and would rather have the lower price of the same steel with G10 scales. I don’t want smooth CF, at any price.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I feel like I wouldn't mind the peel ply or c.f./g10 if it wasn't all over the handle. If they used it as an inset or had a bolster and the c.f. I'd be okay. I've a sage 5 and a rhino. I like the feel but not the look. The only thing keeping me from a Bradley 2 this whole time is the look of the handle covered in the stuff. Same thing with the s90v military. And probably the Amalgam as well. The peel ply c.f. and c.f./g10 on these makes the handles look like amorphous blobs. I'm okay with smooth, matte carbon. I'm really okay with some of the nicer carbons and marbled carbons.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I know, resurrecting another thread.

As far as I can tell, there are at least 3 CF derivatives found regularly in Spydies. Peel ply CF (similar to peel ply G10 with a somewhat visible pattern), Smooth CF (a smooth molded resin that the CF is in), and G10/CF composite (basketweave texture). I greatly prefer the composite. Is there a "real" CF that has that unqie texture? What are the complaints? is it just the idea that there are lyers that aren't straight CF? Is there a functional reason? Is it just that it is less grippy?

I think the laminate (I'm thinking about the GB2, Navaja, Schempp Bowie and similar) has a great feel that makes it unique. Less grippy than peel ply (but grippier than smooth), looks beautiful (peel ply CF looks pretty dull on the knives I have it in, without good light it could be hard to distiguish between it in G10), and to me seems far more like a "luxury" material to me than the others.

I'm sure I'm missing something and it's just just a "no true Scotsman" type complaint. Do people just strongly prefer grip over looks, or looks over grip? I hit this thread before any other so I'd love to hear opinions. May add a thread if there isn't any activity.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

There have been cases supposedly of the carbon layer peeling, and I don't know of any cases specifically but just the idea of it doesn't give me a great feeling about the scale itself. It would only be aesthetic if it peeled, but the possibility bothers me.

That being said, I have owned a GB1 for about 5 years and used it solidly working as an electrician for about a year and a half and have never had a problem with the scales. I understand what you are saying about the texture and it does give unique grip, but I would still prefer either solid carbon fiber or G10 in an interesting color. I would probably take the composite over just plain black G10 though...so yeah.

Those are just my quick thoughts on it, I responded to the thread first without noticing it was a resurrection and came back to respond to the last post.
So it goes.
ncspyderfan

Post by ncspyderfan »

If going for cost savings is the goal I would prefer regular g10 or layered g10 and maybe knock a couple bucks off the price. If carbon fiber is going to be used the Kapara seems to have the nicest kind.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I love it because of the texture. Very grippy. Id like to have it on all my spydercos.
Stay sharp!
cheeseheaded

Post by cheeseheaded »

I am not a big fan of the look of CF peel-ply laminate, although its is grippy. I prefer textured g10 as the base Spyderco option for non-lightweight knives. I do very much like the execution of full carbon fiber options like the Kapara and Manix 2 Cruwear carbon fiber exclusive, previously made for KnifeCenter. Although, I recently bought the black Cruwear Dragonfly with CF handles and like everything but the handles. The show and the back side of the knife appear to have weave patterns going different directions, show side horizontal (longer part of weave seams to run horizon/parallel to the blade) and back side vertical. I haven't owned a knife with solid CF handles where the CF was textured, from Spyderco or anyone else.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think the CF/G10 laminate is my favorite. Subtle texture yet enough so the handle's not slippery. No issues with it separating on any of the knives I've had with it. In fact it seems really durable. Doesn't scuff or scratch easily. What's not to like?

EDIT: I just realized I already posted in this thread on page 1 a few years ago. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think the laminate looks cheap in the pictures i've seen. it's something that can be found on much cheaper knives and looks fake, even though it technically isn't. it's kept me from being interested in a few models altogether because i don't like the way it looks.

that said, i'm waiting to try an ikuchi when they are restocked, so i'll get to experience it in person finally. i'm already planning on custom scales though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kingston73

Post by kingston73 »

If the smock is peel-ply I'm all for it! I love my smock and didn't think I would. I wasn't impressed by pictures but using it has made me a believer.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 pm
I think the CF/G10 laminate is my favorite. Subtle texture yet enough so the handle's not slippery. No issues with it separating on any of the knives I've had with it. In fact it seems really durable. Doesn't scuff or scratch easily. What's not to like?

EDIT: I just realized I already posted in this thread on page 1 a few years ago. :)
The solid fluted of the Native is my favorite. But I do agree with you and prefer the smooth laminate over the solid peel ply in almost every other model. The subtle texture is not only really nice in hand, but looks amazing too. I also think that the laminate keeps its texture and grip after using for a while. Never had any peeling or chipping either. Whereas the peel ply does wear down and becomes almost slick. I experience it with the g10 peel ply too. I don’t wanna hate on the peel ply too much though. I do like it. :spyder:
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i see most want real full carbon fiber instead of a few layers on g10. to me it should not cost but pennies more to do a few layers of carbon fiber on top of g10, even though spyderco charges much more for the difference. the extra cost that spyderco charges for a few layers of carbon fiber on g10 i feel it should cover the cost of real full carbon fiber scales. if general people only wanted the look of carbon fiber the fiber on g10 would be ok if it was slightly extra like $10 max.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

PStone wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:37 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:24 pm

The solid fluted of the Native is my favorite. But I do agree with you and prefer the smooth laminate over the solid peel ply in almost every other model. The subtle texture is not only really nice in hand, but looks amazing too. I also think that the laminate keeps its texture and grip after using for a while. Never had any peeling or chipping either. Whereas the peel ply does wear down and becomes almost slick. I experience it with the g10 peel ply too. I don’t wanna hate on the peel ply too much though. I do like it. :spyder:
You got me...I forgot about the fluted CF. The CF/G10 laminate is my second favorite :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
GaboFL

Post by GaboFL »

I love my sage 1 with CF it feels great but it is deteriorating, it’s chipped under the clip. And flaking off is some areas. A full CF should only add a couple of bucks the savings from laminate vs durability don’t add up...