Spyderco Puukko 2018

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ikaretababy

Re: Spyderco Puukko 2018

Post by ikaretababy »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:36 pm
One steel that would be fantastic is CPM Rex 45. Very stable.

Who wouldn't want a Puukko with Hap 40 analog? :D

Especially since only Spyderco has access to the steel and isn't afraid to push the hardness.

M4 : I think this is adequate but it’s less optimized for the purpose than some other choices

4V: maybe an ideal steel for this but to run it at 64 spyderco would have to charge a fortune to break even on their tooling

BD1N: Don’t have experience with this steel at high hardness. I’m open minded but the knife buying public might not find it “sexy” enough for a sprint

Rex45: What do I have to do to get this. We already know spyderco runs this pretty hard and it is stronger than a lot of comparable at the same hardness. I’ll be preparing a suitable sacrifice to burn before a giant statue of sal glesser until this knife is in my hands. Please let this happen.
talesk

Post by talesk »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:44 pm
I'm no steel expert but as a happy owner of both the pukko and the pk70, i can say that neither of the knives seems to have problems with any kind of wood growing in Norway. :)
But they are not my most carried blades so maybe there are some longterm drawback to This steel that i have yet to experience?
I did not know that the Enzo was produced at the same factory, that makes me like the pk even more.
Bladefinish is identical but the grinds are quite different.
1541441258495829.jpg
Very Lucky! Nice knives!

I was emailing with EnZo (brisa) as I am doing a 30 day review of the EnZo pk70 where it is my only knife for one month. Just as a hobby thing.. I find 30 day reviews slows down my knife purchasing and forces me to use/enjoy a single knife more.

Brisa told me they use the same factories as spyderco, and same workers.

The PK70 is made in Taichung, and their bigger knives like the Elmax EnZo piili 85 are made in the Italian factory.

So the quality is right up there with Spyderco.

I am ~14 days into my ownership/use of the EnZo pk70 and the only issue is when I pushed through a knot and carved a chunk out of my concrete floor. I had some micro chips and rolling which needed to be smoothed out with a stone.

I can still cut freestanding paper with the knive and it's just amazing. I used to think s30v wasn't up to the task but the taichung folks know what they are doing.
Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

If you had the chance, You would like Bd1n more for that design.
talesk wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 pm
Mom3ntuM wrote:
I'm no steel expert but as a happy owner of both the pukko and the pk70, i can say that neither of the knives seems to have problems with any kind of wood growing in Norway. :)
But they are not my most carried blades so maybe there are some longterm drawback to This steel that i have yet to experience?
I did not know that the Enzo was produced at the same factory, that makes me like the pk even more.
1541441258495829.jpg
Very Lucky! Nice knives!

I was emailing with EnZo (brisa) as I am doing a 30 day review of the EnZo pk70 where it is my only knife for one month. Just as a hobby thing.. I find 30 day reviews slows down my knife purchasing and forces me to use/enjoy a single knife more.

The PK70 is made in Taichung, and their bigger knives like the Elmax EnZo piili 85 are made in the Italian factory.

I am ~14 days into my ownership/use of the EnZo pk70 and the only issue is when I pushed through a knot and carved a chunk out of my concrete floor. I had some micro chips and rolling which needed to be smoothed out with a stone.

I can still cut freestanding paper with the knive and it's just amazing. I used to think s30v wasn't up to the task but the taichung folks know what they are doing.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Advanced Knife Bro

Bd1n is more stable and harder. It not that S30v won't work, it's just that there are better steels for the application.

Here is a picture of my BD1N Malanika when it was new a year ago. I've been playing with the steel for a while.

I also use it in the kitchen daily
And have experience with other Nitrogen steels like Nitro V and Vanax

talesk wrote:
Mom3ntuM wrote:
1541441258495829.jpg
Very Lucky! Nice knives!

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I'm no stranger to s30v.
One of my favorite hard use edc knives is the Spyderco Shaman.

I've used, tested and abused plenty.

You can even see the wear on the clip and hardware from how much carry time it gets.

S30v is a great steel but there are better steels for the application that a Puukko needs like I outlined in the first post.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

This was a 4v Puukko that Twindog on BF had batoned through a piece of hard steel bailing wire.

It broke my heat to see this but it's impressive for 4v at 64hrc at 0.010" bte on 3/16 stock.

talesk wrote:
Mom3ntuM wrote:
1541441258495829.jpg
Very Lucky! Nice knives!

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I'm not her to argue with you, but since you quote me in every post i might as well say something.
I am in no doubt that you are in the upper echelon of steelconnoisseurs and have wast knowledge of different steels, and when you say that bd1n would be better that is probably true.
But when you blame the choice of steel for the Puukko not selling well, i think you are wrong.😉
And a change of steel would't suddenly make the Puukko a bestseller.
The average knifebuyer/user don't care if the steel is s30v, bd1n or some other sexy steel.
Except for maybe the day they have to fieldsharpen a 63hrc knife.
Demand for a factoryprodused niche knife at that pricepoint is probably the cause for the low sales.
That is one sweet looking malanika, but if you are using it in the kitchen i would recommend 8cr13mov,, that steel slices tomatoes like a beast 😘
Sry about that last one, i couldn't help myself.
Have a Nice day

(corrected some typos)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

Why is it practical for spyderco to run REX45 so hard and 4V gets run towards the lower 60s? I suspect something like the tooling acquires more wear through the density and type or carbide rather than the hardness of the steel itself. Maybe sal or someone can shed some light. I'll admit that 4V is one of the harder steels to sharpen by hand..or at least it was until I got the CBN waterstones ;)

I think the real barrier for these harder steels has more to due with the availability of better abrasives rather than the difficulty of sharpening. If you could buy a stone packed with bonded CBN or diamond for the same price as an arkansas stone we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I'm just geeking hard man, I need a hobby :D

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:57 pm
I'm not her to argue with you, but since you quote me in every post i might as well say something.
I am in no doubt that you are in the upper echelon of steelconnoisseurs and have wast knowledge of different steels, and when you say that bd1n would be better that is probably true.
But when you blame the choice of steel for the Puukko not selling well, i think you are wrong.😉
And a change of steel would't suddenly make the Puukko a bestseller.
The average knifebuyer/user don't care if the steel is s30v, bd1n or some other sexy steel.
Except for maybe the day they have to fieldsharpen a 63hrc knife.
Demand for a factoryprodused niche knife at that pricepoint is probably the cause for the low sales.
That is one sweet looking malanika, but if you are using it in the kitchen i would recommend 8cr13mov,, that steel slices tomatoes like a beast 😘
Sry about that last one, i couldn't help myself.
Have a Nice day

(corrected some typos)
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

ikaretababy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:22 pm
Why is it practical for spyderco to run REX45 so hard and 4V gets run towards the lower 60s? I suspect something like the tooling acquires more wear through the density and type or carbide rather than the hardness of the steel itself. Maybe sal or someone can shed some light. I'll admit that 4V is one of the harder steels to sharpen by hand..or at least it was until I got the CBN waterstones ;)

I think the real barrier for these harder steels has more to due with the availability of better abrasives rather than the difficulty of sharpening. If you could buy a stone packed with bonded CBN or diamond for the same price as an arkansas stone we wouldn't be having this conversation.
REX 45 at the higher hardness ain't hard to sharpen. And Spyderco has S110V in regular production. So the tooling or abrasives aren't the problem here. Might be more about the heat treatment proces and how easy some steels are to harden.

And with sprint runs that mostly attracts certain knife nuts i don't think we should hold back. And diamond plates are cheap. You don't need all these fancy bonded diamond or CBN stones to sharpen. Sure they are nice though!
talesk

Post by talesk »

Beautiful knives!!!

I agree; the reason Puukko may not sell well isn't the steel choice so much as the style. I'm a recent convert to scandi blades and loving it.

I need to start saving for a malanika knife. I contacted him and orders are a long way out and $$$$$$$$.

Appears to be worth it though.

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:53 pm
This was a 4v Puukko that Twindog on BF had batoned through a piece of hard steel bailing wire.

It broke my heat to see this but it's impressive for 4v at 64hrc at 0.010" bte on 3/16 stock.

talesk wrote:
Mom3ntuM wrote:
1541441258495829.jpg
Very Lucky! Nice knives!

Haves: Hungarian x5, Firefly x2, Orange Dragonfly 2, Orange Delica 4, Blue Delica 4, Orange Endura 4, Sliverax, Blurple Manix 2 s110v, Burnt Orange Meerkat hap40/sus410, spy dk orange, Pingo orange, Military Fluted Titanium, Lil sub-hilt, para 3 Rex45, friction folder, cricket, techno v1 xhp, spydiechef, slysz bowie, paysan, nirvana, subvert, ikuchi, smock, shaman (4v), shaman (cruwear), drunken, Caribbean (pe sheep)
Wants: parata, kapara
In the mail:
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

talesk wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:37 am
I need to start saving for a malanika knife. I contacted him and orders are a long way out and $$$$$$$$.
How much are they?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:02 am
talesk wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:37 am
How much are they?
As of November 2018:
250 Euro for 80crv2

300 Euro for Elmax

330 Euro for CPM Cruwear or CPM 4V
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives