Spyderco Sprints: Are they a valuable investment or not ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Sprints: Are they a valuable investment or not ?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

This question in no way is meant to undercut the value to someone of a Spyderco Sprint. That being said, where do you all stand on this? Would you personally consider a special Sprint run knife to be a valuable investment piece, or, would you get a Sprint because it has practical usefulness to you?

Take the Spyderhawk Sprint that has been released, with the serrated Hawkbill blade. Those of you who got it, do you get it because it is a useful knife for cutting chores, or, because it is potentially rare and a collector piece once it is no longer made?
knivesandbooks

Re: Spyderco Sprints: Are they a valuable investment or not ?

Post by knivesandbooks »

I doubt the spyderhawk will be worth much, at least not worth more than it cost originally.

Some sprints and the like will be worth a lot. Like the kopas. Many will be worth a lot more in the immediate time after they've sold out but then will go down in price again. I bet this will be the case with many of the para 3 sprints released this year. Expensive now but in 5 or 10 years will maybe worth 15 percent more than original cost.

It is really a crapshoot to determine what knife will increase in value and for how long that increase in value will last. Who could have guessed people would go as hog wild for the slysz bowie as they did when it was discontinued?
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
blues

Post by blues »

Knives, by and large, are a poor investment vehicle. (Stocks and bonds are generally much better options.)

Occasionally a piece or two, (a rare production piece, a desirable custom), can bring a nice return but it's generally not the norm.

I buy knives I like. If and when I sell them I occasionally break even, sometimes make a few bucks and other times sell at a loss. Sometimes I just give 'em away to someone they'll make happy.

I don't lose sleep over it as it's never been about the money.
- Retired from the chase -
awa54

Post by awa54 »

No matter the potential resale value, I buy Sprints with the intent to take them out of the box, sharpen them and use them. I think I have three knives that are still in the box and those are backup for models I intend to use often enough that damage, wear or loss are likely.

As others have said, if it's investment return you want, then use financial instruments. OTOH if that's the justification you need to convince yourself that it's OK to collect knives, then go for it!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

I suppose if you hold on to a certain high demand sprint for a few years that you could probably make a few bucks. However, every knife I've ever bought I purchased with the intention of using. Those that I didn't like or didn't feel right in my hand I sold or traded away for something I thought I would use without considering whether or not I made money. It's a hobby and that is the way I look at it.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don’t have any sprints, but i have the manix 2 lw knife center exclusive in xhp. i didn’t buy it because i like brown or because i hoped it would retain more value. i bought it because i wanted a manix 2 lw in something better than bd1 but less expensive and difficult to deal with than s110v. it was barely more expensive than the bd1 model and is a better performer.
i’ve seen this knife selling for more on ebay, but i wouldn’t buy a knife to flip. i don’t generally see tools as investments and it’s kind of messed up that people do that. it’s one thing if it just doesn’t work out for you, but it’s not cool to “scalp” knives.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I only like people who buy these Sprints to keep and actually use them. I am getting sick after seeing all these sprints being flipped on The Exchange for $200 and up. I would’ve loved to have some of the recent ones, but will not support the flippers.
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:10 pm
I only like people who buy these Sprints to keep and actually use them. I am getting sick after seeing all these sprints being flipped on The Exchange for $200 and up. I would’ve loved to have some of the recent ones, but will not support the flippers.
It is disappointing to see what some of these guys are doing. I don't have a problem with someone selling a knife or two at fair market value but I've seen a couple guys selling several REX45 knives. It's pretty obvious they purchased several just to flip.

I intend to use every Sprint run knife I buy. I may not actually use it right away but I'll get around to it eventually.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Knives and guns in general aren't investments. Sure it happens but it's not a good way to make a living.

joe
Ric

Post by Ric »

Collecting whatever should be fun purpose only.
Never see it as valuable investment.

You never get 10+ years what you paid for again.

Stamps, zippos, car models, DVDs, ...
Selling means also work.
I wanted to sell original zippo lighters for 5EUR (6USD).
No one was interested.

Do it for yourself and have fun and make sure the minexit not needed.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:46 pm
Knives and guns in general aren't investments. Sure it happens but it's not a good way to make a living.

joe
Not sure I follow what you mean? Where I am at, gun stores are popping up all over the place. Online gun sales seem to be booming. So it seems many think it’s a great way to make a living?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

So far, the only Spyderco knives that have universally increased in value are the various versions of the C35 Q. Depending partially on rarity and partially on how interesting the blade's cutout looks, they have appreciated to anywhere from double their original $50 MSRP, and over three times their original $30 "average street price", to over eight times MSRP.

jtoler_9 wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:46 pm

joe
Not sure I follow what you mean? Where I am at, gun stores are popping up all over the place. Online gun sales seem to be booming. So it seems many think it’s a great way to make a living?

That's not the same. Dealers buy at a price well below current market value and expect to sell for current market value. That's not investing, it's simple retail business. Private parties buying as investments, on the other hand, tend to buy at current market value or close to it and hope the value will increase over time so they can get more than they paid. It might work with guns, if you're lucky or stick to older ones that are already collectible, and with knives if you stick to older collectible customs, but there's much less chance of modern production knives being a good investment.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I actually do think buying what you want protects you from inflation. Money in your savings account is actually losing value every year. For example, I bought a Manix XL in probably 2012 for ~$105. That same knife is now $140. Had I stuck that $105 in a savings account I'd probably have $107 right now. Of course, I could have bought $100 of netflix stock and have $300 now, bought the knife and had cash to spare. That's a specific example of a stock that did well, but it's a point to make.

So, in my opinion, while knives might not be a great "investment" per se, durable goods are generally a good idea to buy now if you have the cash to do it.

I also feel compelled to remind everyone that things that weren't valuable in the past are valuable now, and vice versa. You would have no compunction dumping a lb of salt down the drain, but this would have been the equivalent of setting your house on fire at certain points in the past, where pure white refined table salt was a rare sight. That netflix stock that is so valuable now becomes worthless when the solar flare knocks out all technology for 18 months. At that point, the knife might be one of the more valuable investments you ever made.

I had a friend that used to say (he might have heard it form someone else): "I invest in stocks, but to hedge against the apocalypse I also invest in precious metals: lead and brass."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

When I bought my first couple sprint knives I intended on not using them. As time went on, and I just saw them sitting on my display stands with my other knives I started thinking...what's the point in spending this money and having these, just to look at them and never try this new steel?

At the time of the latest sprint/exclusive I had 5 different Para 3's. I was looking at them and thinking, they all work the same, it's just a different steel. Being satisfied with my favorite users, I've recently sold a couple. Figured let someone else stare at them or actually put them to use. I'll take the money back and pay a National Grid bill or weeks worth of groceries.

If people give these knives a chance, they may actually become one of their favorite users, as I have found with the BHQ M4/DLC Para 3. Their just knives folks, tools...use em!!! You don't have a favorite hammer that just sits in your tool box because you're afraid of scratches!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Sal cries and kills a Dragonfly everytime he hears about a Sprint safe queen... Think of the Dragonflies

I feel the value of a Sprint run is elevated until the next version comes out, then everyone calms down. Like a sprint PM2 in m4 - everyone went nuts, then came the other variants of m4 PM2s
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Currently I have around ten Spyderco knives and I have been contemplating selling some of them. I have a similar philosophy to blues who wrote above, "I buy knives I like. If and when I sell them I occasionally break even, sometimes make a few bucks and other times sell at a loss. Sometimes I just give 'em away to someone they'll make happy. I don't lose sleep over it as it's never been about the money.".
I have been interested in different steels. I never expected to be trying different steels to check out what characteristics they have.
Besides the different steel many Spydercos are appealing for different design reasons. I really like the compression lock, the light weight carry with enough blade to work with. Yes the leaf shape is what some people don't like but for me the hole and the leaf shape simply functions well for me.
But honestly I have several sprint PM2s that would simply do someone else more good in their pocket because I don't need more than one or two knives. :)
Last edited by skybladefromthe on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
blues

Post by blues »

skybladefromthe wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:05 am
Currently I have around ten Spyderco knives and I have been contemplating selling some of them. I have a similar philosophy to blues who wrote above, "I buy knives I like. If and when I sell them I occasionally break even, sometimes make a few bucks and other times sell at a loss. Sometimes I just give 'em away to someone they'll make happy. I don't lose sleep over it as it's never been about the money.".
Well, it's nice to know that at least one person agrees with me. Thanks for removing one item from my bucket list. :p
- Retired from the chase -
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have no idea of what they would currently fetch on the open market but my two G-10 handled, C-60 Ayoob Sprint run models that I own I wouldn't take anything for. Yeah I like them that much. But I would be willing to bet that the one that is new in the factory box would surely get over $200.

But I wouldn't sell either one of mine for double that. There are some Sprint Runs that I have no doubt that people have more than doubled their money on but most Sprint Runs I've gotten are just not for sale period.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Here's a quote from here //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=77069
RamZar wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:29 pm
40 of 64 (63%) new models delivered so far in 2018 are Sprints/Exclusives!

All 64 new models delivered so far in 2018 by Month:

1. JAN 2018: 2
  2. FEB 2018: 10
  3. MAR 2018: 7
  4. APR 2018: 4
  5. MAY 2018: 12
  6. JUN 2018: 10
  7. JUL 2018: 7
  8. AUG 2018: 5
  9. SEP 2018: 7

Most of Spyderco production consists now of sprints and exclusives so how rare and desirable can they be when Spyderco is dumping them by the thousands every year :D

Spyderco - The Sprint Run Company!

If you want something collectible better get an expensive production piece, these show up in smaller numbers and in a year they are already gone

These are not a good investment either since Spyderco is releasing a gazillion of new models every year :D

Bottom line, just buy them for fun, all the money you spend on them are wasted, it's like drinking or going to whores :D
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Drinking and knives tend to go together...especially when debating on buying one. A few cocktails in and that price doesn't seem so bad after all!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick