Spyderco Sprints: Are they a valuable investment or not ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rgrad80

Re: Spyderco Sprints: Are they a valuable investment or not ?

Post by rgrad80 »

I bet the Blade HQ PM2 exclusive will sell for $300+ in the next 5-10 years if kept in mint condition. Rex45 PM2 Para 3...same. if not, my kids will have some sweet knives to cut tape with when I’m gone:)
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Have you tried the S&P500?
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

Let's take off our rose-colored glasses for a moment and not forget there have been sprints/exclusives that have not been big sellers. And ones that were not popular when available that became hot after being discontinued.

I have some examples in mind but who wants to start?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Blade HQ struggled to dump off their M4 militaries - ended up discounting them and giving you a squarehead
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I still want the KW pm2 in M4, I just don’t want to pay cf scale pricing! I also want the p3 52100, but I have the same balk at the cf scales.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 pm
Blade HQ struggled to dump off their M4 militaries - ended up discounting them and giving you a squarehead
I bet that won't be the case with the DLC version. Depends when that and the Rex45 are released. If released at the same time, I see that M4 struggling a little bit again. If not, I think it will sell out fairly quickly.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:46 pm
Knives and guns in general aren't investments. Sure it happens but it's not a good way to make a living.

joe

Maybe not but buying a few of these when they went discontinued would've been a good buy..

Last edited by Philo Beddoe on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I've purchased several sprints, used them, took care of them, and if they didn't find their way into my pocket enough, i sold them on eBay. The auction usually ends at the price I paid, so I essentially break even (even ones that I had accidentally scratched when sharpening - something I'm completely honest about, providing closeup pics of any damage), getting to try it out for free. In that regard I'd say they are a valuable investment. I've never price gouged, but we've all seen what sprints go for on the secondary market. A pm2 sprint for $150 will usually be $200-240ish on eBay the day after its released. Any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

blues... I'm still contemplating how I helped remove a bucket list item? Was it a specific Spyderco knife? >>> (ah I just got it! Really no one ever agrees with you?)
But then I wake up on a different day and want more knives!
I have looked into becoming a dealer and still contemplate it. I even got paper work from Spyderco. One of the requirements was having a brick and morter store. I do have a store but it's electronic and I don't sell knives exclusively.
Happy voting day.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

No knife on this planet is a valuable investment.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
blues

Post by blues »

skybladefromthe wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 am
blues... I'm still contemplating how I helped remove a bucket list item? Was it a specific Spyderco knife? >>> (ah I just got it! Really no one ever agrees with you?)
It was all in fun. (I'm sure you'll agree. ;) )
- Retired from the chase -
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Depends on if one counts value is an excellent cutting tool, or pleasure from unboxing.
Is anybody getting rich off anything these days?
Yes blues I agree!
blues

Post by blues »

spyderwolf wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 am
No knife on this planet is a valuable investment.
Well, that's clearly not so. There are many custom (and even some production) knives which have literally sold for thousands more than they were purchased for...but it is certainly the exception rather than the rule.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

First you contradicted me,and then yourself,so according to Hegel you agree with me,and i thank you for that.
Of course you could get incredibly lucky with a knife.You can also win the lottery,but a smart man won't invest his money in tickets.
blues

Post by blues »

spyderwolf wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:02 am
First you contradicted me,and then yourself,so according to Hegel you agree with me,and i thank you for that.
Of course you could get incredibly lucky with a knife.You can also win the lottery,but a smart man won't invest his money in tickets.
No, I didn't contradict myself. I contradicted the statement that "no knife" was a good investment. I pointed out that some, (whether exceptions or not), are in fact good investments.

Saying "some" is not the same as saying "none".

From my reading of Hegel, I doubt he'd be a party to this argument. ;)
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I wouldn't buy a knife for the purposes of an investment. Now if you have to sell some down the road or downsize your collection sure, some of them could probably get a small return on or get most of your money back. If you want to invest I would I would put the extra 200$ in your 401k.

Plus I don't like how the people who flip things online whether its knives or any other in demand item often drives up the prices and make things harder to get for people who would actually enjoy or use the item.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

blues wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:27 am
spyderwolf wrote:
No, I didn't contradict myself. I contradicted the statement that "no knife" was a good investment. I pointed out that some, (whether exceptions or not), are in fact good investments.

You're right,he didn't knew nothing about knives ;)
blues

Post by blues »

spyderwolf wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:15 am
blues wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:27 am
spyderwolf wrote:

You're right,he didn't knew nothing about knives ;)
Assumes facts not in evidence.
Strider

Post by Strider »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:32 pm
This question in no way is meant to undercut the value to someone of a Spyderco Sprint. That being said, where do you all stand on this? Would you personally consider a special Sprint run knife to be a valuable investment piece, or, would you get a Sprint because it has practical usefulness to you?

Take the Spyderhawk Sprint that has been released, with the serrated Hawkbill blade. Those of you who got it, do you get it because it is a useful knife for cutting chores, or, because it is potentially rare and a collector piece once it is no longer made?
If you are talking about good investment in terms of monetary return, certainly not. Invest the same amount in VTSAX and you will always come out ahead in the long term.
blues

Post by blues »

Strider wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:29 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:32 pm
This question in no way is meant to undercut the value to someone of a Spyderco Sprint. That being said, where do you all stand on this? Would you personally consider a special Sprint run knife to be a valuable investment piece, or, would you get a Sprint because it has practical usefulness to you?

Take the Spyderhawk Sprint that has been released, with the serrated Hawkbill blade. Those of you who got it, do you get it because it is a useful knife for cutting chores, or, because it is potentially rare and a collector piece once it is no longer made?
If you are talking about good investment in terms of monetary return, certainly not. Invest the same amount in VTSAX and you will always come out ahead in the long term.
Couldn't agree more. Great fund. Great company. I've been with them for years.