Can someone help me understand what all the hype is for slipjoints lately?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M4Life

Can someone help me understand what all the hype is for slipjoints lately?

Post by M4Life »

Hey guys so I have never been able to understand the big appeal of slipjoints is, I get that for some people it is a legal issue and that they can't carry a locking knife, or that if you are going to church or something that a slipjoint might get a few less stares than a locking knife. What I don't get though is why some people like slipjoints when those reasons are not a factor, because to me at least there are slipjoints that I like the design of but I have always thought they would be better as locking knives. So could someone explain what the appeal of slipjoints is besides the two I mentioned above?
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
MichaelScott

Re: Can someone help me understand what all the hype is for slipjoints lately?

Post by MichaelScott »

Tradition? Simplicity? Esthetics?
I have a Roadie which is fine without a lock since the action is so positive and strong and i am not tempted to use it in such a way that might cause the blade to accidentally close. Even if it did, the design is such that it would not cut me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Slip joints are cheaper then a similarly sized locking knife. Also with spyderco they offer slip joints in various steels so someone can experience those steels without spending as much money for example S110V ukpk vs s110v native lw/s110v manix2 lw
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
sal

Post by sal »

Convenience.

sal
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

The s110v ukpk is an insanely low entry price for such a steel.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

You stop worrying about silly things like spinewhack tests or hanging a Buick off the handle when you carry a slipjoint.....

and then realise that you do exactly the same amount of cutting- almost like those two measurements are good for Youtube videos and not much else ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I grew up with slipjoints, but I was happy when better pocketknife designs came along.

Personally, I think they're a poor choice in today's world. If I had kids, I wouldn't want them using slipjoints at all.

If people want to collect slipjoints, more power to them. I hear expensive watches are all the thing too.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

M4Life wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:13 am
[...]or that if you are going to church or something that a slipjoint might get a few less stares than a locking knife.
Nice idea, but I doubt non-knife-people see the difference. ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Right now I think it’s just the “in” thing with hipsters. Personally I carry and use one for a few reasons. First, 90%+ of my daily tasks can easily be done with no more than a small slipjoint knife. Next, where I live it is perfectly legal to carry a beast of a locking blade but people are a bunch of pansies and it’s much easier to use a small knife, particularly a non threatening looking traditional. Also, there’s just a certain charm to them that you don’t get with a modern folder. I used one given to me as a kid by my uncle for years and recently rebuilt it.
7271A9AF-A9CA-4CAE-8A4A-E0919DF48536.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

spyderg wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 am
I used one given to me as a kid by my uncle for years and recently rebuilt it.7271A9AF-A9CA-4CAE-8A4A-E0919DF48536.jpeg
Nice work! :cool:
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't seen any of this hype myself but I also don't frequent all the forums. Sal summed it up, convenience and simplicity. I grew up with mostly slip joints and my brain will never forget the "fold it closed against your hip" movement, I could do it in the dark blindfolded and drunk and not cut myself.

In an odd sort of way I even consider a friction folder or slip joint to be more safe than a locking folder, because personally I have a heightened sense of awareness that the knife can and will close on me if I do something stupid so I tend to be more cautious and less careless when using them. Similarly to a gun safety where the only true safety is trigger discipline, the only lock that absolutely will never fail on you is the lock that isn't there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

Where you work. I can’t exactly carry and use my beloved SMF in an office. Traditionals also grow and develop so much character over time. They just look like they could tell a story.
blues

Post by blues »

spyderg wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:17 am
Right now I think it’s just the “in” thing with hipsters.
That's about the funniest thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the chuckle. :p

I started carrying slipjoints when my grandfather gave me my first one circa 1958 or 1959.

Having previously moderated the "Traditional Forum" on bladeforums.com for some years, I can tell you that there are very few hipsters in that group of people, (I've met quite a few of 'em), but they are certainly serious about traditional knives which are primarily of the slipjoint variety.

Also, a well built slipjoint is a thing of beauty and a work of some complexity. I have many custom and production pieces and have many of their makers as friends.

My only Spyderco slipjoint is the Urban with K390. Very well executed and great steel, but not quite a throwback to the golden age of slipjoints.
- Retired from the chase -
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I could be wrong but sadly alot of it has to do with legality, I think. Some places and people are discriminatory against locking knives and one hand opening locking knives. Slip Joints are tried and true as are Friction Folders but there is always the potential danger of the blade closing on your fingers.

There are some expensive Slip Joints put out by assorted companies now, even some costing in the over 200 dollar range.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not everyone wants the latest and (supposedly) greatest. Cars have been around for over 100 years, but there are still folks who like to ride horses, at least occasionally. Automatic transmissions have been around for at least 70, but there are still folks who prefer a manual gearbox. Guns have been around hundreds of years, but there are still folks who enjoy hunting with a bow and arrow. Digital audio may be "better", but there are still folks who prefer vinyl records and a turntable. Most folks these day who carry a handgun opt for a striker fired semiauto pistol, I still carry a revolver.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vivi

Post by vivi »

The only slipjoint I carry these days is an alox Victorinox Farmer or Pioneer, or my Leatherman Micra. I like them for being small and light while offering robust tools. They're easier to pocket than a Swisstool or Leatherman Wave, and still give me tools for prying, poking, scraping and handling loose screws.

I have a few slipjoints that are just blades. Some things I like about them is the strong self close on the blade, how light they are, and there's no stud, wave or hole generally to catch on something and open. My slipjoints often get tossed in a pocket or a pack during a hike, like my Victorinox One Handed Trekker. So knowing it'll stay shut is important. If I tossed a modern liner lock in my day pack it'd pop open as I'm jogging around and scrambling up and down boulders.

I still think the Victorinox Nylon Solo is one of the best knives you can get for the money. They're beefy for a Victorinox...a little over 4" closed. Stout spring. Thin, sharp blade. Textured handle that feels better than the standard smooth celluloid. Great for picnics, camping, etc. It'll handle your food prep, whittling, etc. Only $8. I'd take it over an Opinel myself.
Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:02 am
I haven't seen any of this hype myself but I also don't frequent all the forums. Sal summed it up, convenience and simplicity. I grew up with mostly slip joints and my brain will never forget the "fold it closed against your hip" movement, I could do it in the dark blindfolded and drunk and not cut myself.
Same here. That's how I used to close my Buck 110 as well.
:unicorn
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I think they're sort of "in fashion" right now. Traditionals have always had some appeal to me. Generally though, I think it's a downgrade to have a non locking knife.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I like them because of their simplicity.

I find it really interesting when companies like Spyderco put a modern twist on and old design like the slip joint using modern materials, modern steel, modern opening methods. It’s nice to see Hinderer, Chris Reeve, Lion Steel all putting out new designs. Spyderco beat them all to it a few years ago with the PITS Folder. I’d love to see them do something else new in that area. But of course, what I really want to see return is the g10 UKPK. Nothing beats it.

The old school slipjoints don’t appeal to me at all though. I can’t stand nailnicks, they just aren’t practical and can actually be painful to open.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Scheißenberg

Post by Scheißenberg »

Mostly legal reasons for me.
But I do love the simplicity and convenience and especially how Spyderco have done them with great steels, great designs and one handed opening.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I'm with Sal - convenience.

99% of the time, I just need a knife to open stuff or other quick, light tasks that have no need for a lock.

In Spyderco's case, they've kicked the convenience factor up several notches by making their "SlipIts" such as the UKPK which feature:
  • One-hand opening hole
  • Notched slipjoint mechanism for extra safety when closing
  • Finger choil for added safety and ergonomics
  • Pocket clip for convenient carry and quick deployment
  • High-end steel options and excellent blade geometry
  • Reasonable price
Basically all of the reasons I was never really into "traditional" knives have been removed -- nail nicks, sub-par blades, dangerous operation, poor ergonomics, etc -- and replaced by modern innovations that I appreciate, while still retaining the simplicity of the traditionals.

(I guess the one thing about traditionals that I *DO* like, which is kind of missing at this point in the Spyderco lineup, would be a "fancy" option with exotic material handle scales and high-end finishing, like a Chris Reeve Mnandi alternative. But that said, for my actual needs, I'm totally fine with the lightweight utility and durability of FRN.)
Tim