The most reliable locking mechanism Spyderco uses?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

The most reliable locking mechanism Spyderco uses?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Out of every design (excluding any prototypes) that has made it to production, of all folders, that Spyderco has made, which locking mechanism appears to be the most reliable when used extensively over time? The humble old back-lock or another?
Demon85z

Re: The most reliable locking mechanism Spyderco uses?

Post by Demon85z »

I think the ceramic ball lock. I think I remember seeing a post awhile back that Sal made talking about the amazing wear resistance of the ball over time. I could be wrong tho. Maybe the frame lock with the adjustable and replaceable tip, like on the lion spy.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
SpyderEdgeForever

Demon85z wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:06 pm
I think the ceramic ball lock. I think I remember seeing a post awhile back that Sal made talking about the amazing wear resistance of the ball over time. I could be wrong tho. Maybe the frame lock with the adjustable and replaceable tip, like on the lion spy.
This is very interesting to me and I appreciate that you brought it up. This is actually a major use of ceramic in an engineered industrial product.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Reliable? I think all of them have been pretty equal IMO. Well, except the Tmag :D

Strength, durability, and personal preference might be a different story.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Please define “reliable”.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderEdgeForever

Reliable in this sense would be a lock mechanism that you can trust will not break down and close on your fingers as long as you are not abusing or overusing the knife, and, one that does not easilly get fouled up over time due to abrasion or foreign material getting into it, that sort of thing. As an example, with all due respect to the well designed liner locks, I would not trust a liner lock to succeed in that as much as a back-lock.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:06 pm
Reliable in this sense would be a lock mechanism that you can trust will not break down and close on your fingers as long as you are not abusing or overusing the knife, and, one that does not easilly get fouled up over time due to abrasion or foreign material getting into it, that sort of thing. As an example, with all due respect to the well designed liner locks, I would not trust a liner lock to succeed in that as much as a back-lock.
Power lock?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

This Thread needs to be relabeled the Best of the Best of the Best. Because Spyderco does not produce a knife lock that is not reliable. They are all exceptional devices and exceptional knives and exceptional designs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

One of your criteria is "does not easily get fouled up over time due to abrasion or foreign material getting into it", which is interesting since both a back and liner lock can fail for this exact reason. If you get enough pocket lint into the tang of a back lock it can and will fail to engage fully into the tang and could fail to lock, and with a liner lock there is FAR less chance of that happening, though with enough mud and crud it could stop the lock from engaging.

There aren't many locks that won't run into issues with enough crud in their mechanisms, but I've seen the CBBL completely caked with mud and sand and it still locked solid, and it was super easy to rinse out.

Really though unless you're stabbing something with a knife or spine whacking there isn't much chance or the blade closing on your fingers if you're actually cutting things and doing knife tasks. The problem.. as always...lies with where you draw the line between knife tasks and non knife tasks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
supracor

Post by supracor »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
I would not trust a liner lock to succeed in that as much as a back-lock.

Liner locks are just a mess. The only motive why liner locks are still on the market is because you can't flip your knife with a back lock.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

supracor wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:30 pm
Liner locks are just a mess. The only motive why liner locks are still on the market is because you can't flip your knife with a back lock.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

supracor wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Of course you're free to share your opinion, no matter how rediculous. However you should not phrase it as if it were fact.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 pm
supracor wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Of course you're free to share your opinion, no matter how rediculous. However you should not phrase it as if it were fact.
Two absolutes: “Liner locks are just a mess.” And, “The only motive…”

You know this because? Evidence rather than opinion is requested.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

Backlocks are the most reliable at keeping a closed knife shut.

CBBL are the most reliable at locking up every time, being the most impervious to pocket lint and other debris.

Tri-ad and CBBL seem to be the most reliable at keeping the blade open regardless of what you do with the knife.

Liner locks are the only locks I've had fail during normal use.

Backlocks, while being my favorite lock, seem the most susceptible to pocket lint jamming the interface.

No detent based lock is one I consider reliable when it comes to keeping the knife shut. I've had multiple detent based locks fail to keep the knife closed during normal carry.

All in my experience, of course. YMMV.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I have had a Delica fail to lock because of lint in the tang notch for the lock bar. Now that I know to check it occasionally it is 100% reliable. Compression lock has never failed me and it would require major crud to stop it from locking. Frame locks are very crud resistant, but don’t carry one, so cannot speak to their reliability from experience. CBBL is also reliable, has never failed me in long use.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I love this video. It only has 18 views and I bet I gave it half of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_iySg7Jn0
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

supracor wrote:
The spyderco introvert was a flipper with a back lock.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Fixed blade.

Other than that, who knows. Without precise, controlled testing for specific scenarios there's no way to know.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

My first model Enduras and Delicas are still as reliable as ever and seem to get smoother and smoother over the years. Only the original plastic clip is needing work/replacement. The knives themselves should be good for another 28 years ( first 2 purchased in 92) and probably many more. Two have been through the washer and dryer 4 or 5 times each along with trips to the Atlantic ocean for week long beach vacations along with uncounted swims in our heavily chlorinated pool. I carry newer models only because I was bored and wanted newer ones not because of any lack of performance. I just prefer VG 10, Super Blue, HAP 40 over Gin 1 and ATS 55 but to be honest I'd be fine having to rely on either of the older ones. Each one was my EDC for 5 years or longer. The basic design is timeless and only abuse will kill them.

Joe
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The way I use knives, which is to cut things that the knife will handle, I.e., not metal, rocks, dry wall, etc. any Spyderco Lock is reliable: easy and secure lock up, easy and secure unlocking.

I have or have had RLL, Compression, back lock and CBB knife locks. All have been reliable. I think I prefer compression locks now for their strong lock up, tendency to not get gummed up and ease of cleaning if they do, and easy, safe release.

Team Innovation