The most reliable locking mechanism Spyderco uses?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: The most reliable locking mechanism Spyderco uses?

Post by MichaelScott »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:39 pm
In my job, I'd need a fixed blade with a slender sheath that could fit completely in my pocket. Anything on my belt would hang up on some line or cable and get ripped off and probably fall overboard.
We used to carry the sheath just behind the hip and tuck the end down into a back pocket.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

supracor wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:50 pm
On a rainy day when i was cutting cardboard i stumbled ...
OK, I can see the problem and thankfully it’s an easy fix.

Try to avoid cutting stuff on rainy days as this may promote corrosion in some knives. Also, many surfaces become very slippery when wet so wear appropriate footwear and do a quick check for any trip hazards prior to cutting stuff even on dry days.

Follow these simple steps and use you liner lock Military with confidence. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ferider

Post by ferider »

"The most reliable locking mechanism Spyderco uses?"

All my Spydercos lock up great, in particular when compared to other brands which I don't want to name here again. And I have Spyderco back-, BB, power, frame-, and liner-locks. BTW, in particular for frame-locks, only slightly mis-adjusted re-assembly might affect the lock-up, which I feel is the source of some of the Youtube videos out there.

My three most sturdy Spyderco locks are in the Tatanka, Chinook4 and Szabo. The Szabo gets extra credit for having the stop pin integrated with the tang.

I go back and forth on the PM2 compression lock. It's a thing of beauty for playing with the knife. Not so much in heavy use though as it cuts into the web between my thumb and index finger.

On two non-Spydie frame-locks, I cut myself twice due to lint being behind the stop pin, so I watch out for debris not just in the lock; and I appreciate stop pins integrated with the blade (I have a couple of knives that I just love for this, like a CKF SSE).

And yes, you can flip back-locks, even long ones (a well adjusted P4, for instance). My Chinook-1 got brass washers on Fri, and even that monster flips now very nicely.

Roland.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

I would take the OP's question of reliable as a balance of strength, durability, longevity, as well as the most impervious to the elements. If this is the criteria, I would have to go with the regular ol backlock.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Any lock is only as strong as its weakest components, and I'd argue that the BB in the CBBL is pretty far and away the strongest component of that lock system.

That said, my favorite is the compression lock for the balance it strikes between ease of construction (it's liner-based), ease of cleaning (allows for flow-through), and strength. Unlike a liner lock or frame lock, beefy or not, the force applied to a compression lock is at right angles to the long weak axis of the lock tab. It's much less susceptible to buckling failure.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I don't know the OP, but this topic has been a very heated topic for at least the last month on BladeForums in the "General Knife Discussion."

It started with ZT and now includes other manufacturers lock failure and people have even been posting first hand stories and hand injury pics! :eek:

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/gene ... ssion.715/

If YOU have not been affected by lock failure it would behoove you to know abt it and practice due diligence so that you don't get bitten.

I was bitten by a Zero Tolerance Factory Custom 0450FCZDP Flipper Knife. I own many ZTs and I have even purchased ZTs after the incident where the knife took out a pinky for a month and almost cut tendons.
Last edited by Naperville on Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:47 pm
Out of every design (excluding any prototypes) that has made it to production, of all folders, that Spyderco has made, which locking mechanism appears to be the most reliable when used extensively over time? The humble old back-lock or another?
SEF, I am late to the party, but in general, I prefer a well executed back lock like that on the Manix 2 back lock, or the Cold Steel Triad Lock. These are super strong. However, a CBBL or a Compression Lock are okay as they are easier to rinse out (slightly, maybe, perhaps). I will say I have used back locks in mud, blood, guts, and snow without issues as long as I kept the tang clear before opening the knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:10 pm

If YOU have not been affected by lock failure it would behoove you to know abt it and practice due diligence so that you don't get bitten.
For some reason people often get really defensive when you say you've experienced lock failure.

This thread has been pretty nice in that respect. Normally there's a lot of "Well if you used your knife properly" or "Play stupid games win stupid prizes" sort of comments any time someone says a lock failed on them.

Last time I experienced lock failure (failure to keep the knife closed, not open) I was walking back and forth in a kitchen. That's it. Nothing unusual or wreckless.

It's a sure sign of emotional maturity when you expect everyone in life to have the same experience you've had :D
:unicorn
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:47 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:10 pm

For some reason people often get really defensive when you say you've experienced lock failure.

This thread has been pretty nice in that respect. Normally there's a lot of "Well if you used your knife properly" or "Play stupid games win stupid prizes" sort of comments any time someone says a lock failed on them.

Last time I experienced lock failure (failure to keep the knife closed, not open) I was walking back and forth in a kitchen. That's it. Nothing unusual or wreckless.

It's a sure sign of emotional maturity when you expect everyone in life to have the same experience you've had :D
I assume snark on the “maturity,” or a typo.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I have almost 10 years with a CBBL in EDC and still perfect.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:47 pm

I've noticed that as well. "I use knives properly" (implying someone else doesn't) lol.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Balisong. :D

Most reliable and as strong (or more) given same dimension and material surrounding the mechanism.
Chris :spyder: