The most reliable locking mechanism Spyderco uses?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Re: The most reliable locking mechanism Spyderco uses?

Post by spyderwolf »

Or a friction folder?It will be as the hand holding it.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This topic has come up several times over the years. And it even brings me back in time all the way back to 2004 when I became a citizen of Spyderville. Because the very first thread I ever responded to was oddly enough one that Sal himself started. To the best of my memory I think the title was "Let's Talk About Locks". And for the time it was a most interesting rundown of knife locking systems that I was just learning about at that time.

Now I still get irritated when I hear people say how bad the "liner lock" is :mad: Because the liner lock is truly getting a bum rap IMO. I've never had a liner lock from Spyderco, Benchmade or any other premium make of knife ever fail me. Oh there are locking systems I like better but I really see not much wrong with it.

Now I do have my favorites but I'm sure I'll be getting ridiculed, disagreed with intensely and mocked about it but here they are. First off I would have to say that the Compression Lock is the one I'm most impressed with and it goes all the way back to the original GUNTING model>> I haven't seen a better one since. Second I've always been intrigued with the "ball bearing lock" which is largely what got me to buy my first Dodo model. I do think that the ball bearing lock has a lot of possibilities if refined a bit more.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I also don't understand why you almost never hear anything good said about the linerlock. It has to be one of the easiest and most intuitive locks to manipulate, it's strong and dependable, and unlike the backlock, it does not allow any vertical blade play.

I carried a "cheap" ($25) Kershaw linerlock knife doing construction for nearly 10 years, using it harder in some ways than my Spyderco knives, and I never had that lock fail on me. And that was an inexpensive Kershaw knife, not a $100+ Spyderco.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Cheap garbage that use paper thin liner ruined their reputation. A good liner lock isn't any worse than a good framelock.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Wanimator wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:41 am
Cheap garbage that use paper thin liner ruined their reputation. A good liner lock isn't any worse than a good framelock.
That's a good point "Wanimator" because even a couple of older BUCK models I had with linerlocks never failed on me and I used the hell out of two of those. My first two Benchmade models both had liner locks (models 640 & 650 Boguszewski Spikes) and I had those bad boys in use for over 12 years but no failure at all.

Yeah any of that "Rip-Mart" garbage made by prison slaves won't be top quality. Even the simple lockback models I've owned over the years made by Spyderco have never failed me ever. At this point I would like to know what some of these guys are subjecting their knives through to get those locks to fail. Because no mechanical device is completely immune to destruction if enough abuse is applied :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I understand Vivi's need for a stronger close bias but aside from that the Military is a shining example of a perfect liner lock. The original Gayle Bradley and Vallotton are also examples of bomb proof liner locks.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:58 am
I understand Vivi's need for a stronger close bias but aside from that the Military is a shining example of a perfect liner lock. The original Gayle Bradley and Vallotton are also examples of bomb proof liner locks.
Well said EVIL D!! I've been carrying one of the Military models for about 4 out of the past 5 years ( XHP & M390) and I've used those blades without mercy on some jobs but yet no failure of the locking systems. But I do maintain, clean, sharpen and lubricate my folders on a regular basis. And yes it does matter how you take care of something even if it is as good as a Spyderco or other premium make of knife. I've had at least 6 Military models since 2003 and I've never had any of the liner locks ever fail on me. Would I rather have a compression lock? Sure I do like them a bit better but there is nothing wrong with the liner lock they use on the C-36 Military model>>> case closed!!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:27 pm
My first model Enduras and Delicas are still as reliable as ever and seem to get smoother and smoother over the years. Only the original plastic clip is needing work/replacement. The knives themselves should be good for another 28 years ( first 2 purchased in 92) and probably many more. Two have been through the washer and dryer 4 or 5 times each along with trips to the Atlantic ocean for week long beach vacations along with uncounted swims in our heavily chlorinated pool. I carry newer models only because I was bored and wanted newer ones not because of any lack of performance. I just prefer VG 10, Super Blue, HAP 40 over Gin 1 and ATS 55 but to be honest I'd be fine having to rely on either of the older ones. Each one was my EDC for 5 years or longer. The basic design is timeless and only abuse will kill them.

Joe
Thank you for posting this, because that was a related question I had, though not for locks in particular, regarding some of the earlier Spyderco models, the question being: Are there people on the forum who have any of the original Spyderco folders, such as the Worker, Mariner, Police and also the early Endura and Delica models, that have had them in constant use since then, rather than having them kept away for collector purposes, and if yes, how have they fared as far as cutting chores go. Your answer answered my question perfectly. That is a great testimony to the quality of Spyderco.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Spyderedgeforever

My Endura I mentioned is AUS-8
Almost constant carry and use since early 90's
Never failed or rusted.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:58 am
The liner lock on the Millie is a thing of beauty. While it doesn't have the closing bias I want, I have 100% faith in it keeping the knife locked open. I love how the tang is curved to reduce lock travel.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:38 am
I also don't understand why you almost never hear anything good said about the linerlock. It has to be one of the easiest and most intuitive locks to manipulate, it's strong and dependable, and unlike the backlock, it does not allow any vertical blade play.

I carried a "cheap" ($25) Kershaw linerlock knife doing construction for nearly 10 years, using it harder in some ways than my Spyderco knives, and I never had that lock fail on me. And that was an inexpensive Kershaw knife, not a $100+ Spyderco.
I've had liner locks from $10-$220 develop vertical play, some Spydies. I've had four of them close when they shouldn't have (None were Spydercos, theirs have never closed on me).

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

I carried my 1988 Police Model every day for 10 years. I still carry it. Still a favorite. I've never had a lock fail or wear out.

The only lock I don't like is the compression lock. In some models it pinches me. The argument that it's one of the strongest locks doesn't mean anything to me because I've never seen any lock fail.
supracor

Post by supracor »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:36 am
I am not interested in arguing this assertion, but for a reality check I and perhaps for newcomers to the knife world who may read this thread, I would like to point out:

Oh well, the new Aristotle; this forum lacked a pedagogue
MichaelScott wrote:
Which is to say that it is only opinion.
This is an opinion.

MichaelScott wrote:
Well, no. Objective tests show that with a properly made and maintained knife this is not true.

Oh yeah, properly made knives don't behave like that, and in fact all my Tri Ad knives are properly made knives. Linerlocks not so much.
MichaelScott wrote:
Why, in the “well known real life” [sic] would anyone perform a “spine whack test”, and if they did why would not proper safety precautions be taken?
I could forgive this because I could have expressed myself badly here. On a rainy day when i was cutting cardboard i stumbled and in falling the spine of the S110V Military hit something causing the blade to close that nearly cut the last 2 phalanges of my right index. But i'm lucky that the Military Model came about after someone asked Spyderco's owner Sal Glesser, "If your son were going into the military what folding knife would you send him with?", cause if it wasn't designed for the army who knows how it would have gone.
MichaelScott wrote:
i don’t want replies to this, i’m just pointing out some interesting contradictions.
If you don't want replies, don't spit crap, two-bit pseudolinguist.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for the personal insults. I did, however, appreciate being recognized as a pedagog. Since you had no courteous or reasonable responses to offer, I am not surprised. I will place you on my ignore list now.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

My military passes any spine wack test.

The spine wack test is valid. Sometimes things happen. I've seen videos of ZT's falling a spine wack test (slapping the spine against a roll of duct tape) repeatedly. This would certainly cause me to use the knife with utmost caution, knowing if abrupt force was applied to the blade by accident, the lock could fail. For those who think the spine wack test is useless, at some point you must ask yourself "why do so many folding knives have locks?". A lock that holds true when the sh** hits the fan is a very good thing. It gives the user confidence and a feeling of safety.

With that said, a spyderco liner lock shouldn't fail. Models that have only 10% lockup (or something like that) don't make it past QC. In use, I often grip my military in a way that keeps the liner lock in place. I often use the military in abnormal situations where mistakes are inevitable and the lock is certainly battle-proven. You must be conscious of how the lock works and try not to accidentally depress/release the lock in use. I'd prefer a compression lock for ease of use but have no problems with the liner lock.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I guess the logical conclusion one has to draw is that in situations in which considerable force may be applied to the spine of a knife, accidentally or otherwise, a fixed blade is the sensible solution. I am sure that is why those of us on my ship who worked on deck during UNREPS and other sea detail evolutions left our folding knives in our pockets or lockers and carried sheath knives instead.

Still, given my sedentary life, I feel comfortable with any lock system on Spyderco knives and would likely feel the same with other quality makes.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

In my job, I'd need a fixed blade with a slender sheath that could fit completely in my pocket. Anything on my belt would hang up on some line or cable and get ripped off and probably fall overboard. So far I haven't found the right fixed blade, so I use folders (partially because i just like them). "just get a fixed blade" is the common response to those who value toughness and durability in folders. Even if i find the perfect fixed blade I'll always prefer folders that can take some accidental abuse and keep on truckin!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'm fond of a well made liner lock. Never had any issues with those on my Spydies (mostly Millies). Easy to get dirt etc out of them which I sometimes have trouble with on my back locks (mostly very dirty Salts). The main reason is ease of use and muscle memory making it fast and safe to unlock and close for me. None have worn out except an early second C42 which now has 100% lock up and slight blade play (it's still safe though)

I don't flick my knives so that isn't an issue either way.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:41 pm
I guess the logical conclusion one has to draw is that in situations in which considerable force may be applied to the spine of a knife, accidentally or otherwise, a fixed blade is the sensible solution. I am sure that is why those of us on my ship who worked on deck during UNREPS and other sea detail evolutions left our folding knives in our pockets or lockers and carried sheath knives instead.

Still, given my sedentary life, I feel comfortable with any lock system on Spyderco knives and would likely feel the same with other quality makes.
Well, I have personal friends who work in LE, one who works for one of the alphabet agencies. When these gentlemen are in a military style utility uniform a small fixed blade is an option. When in plain clothes, a folder is often the only option. When in a conventional LE uniform with pistol, spare mags, taser, cuffs, radio, etc there's often no room on the duty belt for a fixed blade, and a folder in the pants pocket is the best option. Even when they can carry a fixed blade, most of these gents carry a folder as a backup. Yes, the odds of one these guys using a folder for anything serious are infinitely small, but they plan and train for the worst case scenario, not the best case.

Now, that said (or written), the subset of knife users who truly need a heavy duty folder is probably much smaller than those who think they need a heavy duty folder.

Sometimes carrying a Tri-Ad or Axis lock folder does give me the warm fuzzies though. I'm also looking at a couple of compression lock folders as candidates for my next knife, so I can understand the perspective of wanting a stronger lock as cheap insurance.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

So if the hair pulling and name calling is done with I’ll aay it again.
They are all fine-

Some people who use them are not however, what’s that saying about a craftsman blaming his tools?