Efficient Missing Logo and Blade Steel ID

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chuckboy81

Efficient Missing Logo and Blade Steel ID

Post by Chuckboy81 »

Hello,
I recently purchased a Spyderco Efficient from Amazon.
The blade is missing the logo to the left of the hole and also the word Spyderco 18Cr13MoV is missing from the left ricasso.
The knife seems good in all other respects. The clip has the logo. The word China is on the right ricasso.
The box looks official in comparing it with photos of fake boxes I have seen online.
I contacted Spyderco and they suggested I send it to them for evaluation.
I can find no pictures on line of an Efficient with no markings on the left side of blade.
The price was $47.00 which is normal for the knife and it was supplied by a dealer with 96% favorable feedback.
Has anyone seen an Efficient without these normal markings.
Thanks,
Chuckboy81
BornIn1500

Re: Efficient Missing Logo and Blade Steel ID

Post by BornIn1500 »

Sounds fake. I think I would have sent it back to the seller for a refund. 3rd party sellers on Amazon are notorious for fakes.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Amazon mixes its inventory and does not closely inspect returns. Fakes abound
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PMBohol

Post by PMBohol »

This happens a lot with Amazon. A buyer will purchase a genuine Spyderco but return it with a fake and get their money back. The next buyer gets the fake. Amazon cannot inspect all the returns with detail. If the product looks like the original and is not damaged then it goes back into circulation.
Delica 4 FFG
Paramilitary 2 DLC Digicam
Brad Southard flipper (missing in action)
Sharpmaker
Gayle Bradley 2.
Gayle Bradley Air
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

PMBohol wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:10 pm
This happens a lot with Amazon. A buyer will purchase a genuine Spyderco but return it with a fake and get their money back. The next buyer gets the fake. Amazon cannot inspect all the returns with detail. If the product looks like the original and is not damaged then it goes back into circulation.
How do you know this?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:12 pm
PMBohol wrote:
How do you know this?
I know this bc I used to work there. This goes for anything bought from Amazon
Spydergirl88
PStone

Post by PStone »

I have not seen an efficient lacking the logo or anything else before. But if it were me, I would send it in to the mothership. Real or fake, I’m sure they probably would like to see it anyways. I have no doubts they’ll take care of you either way.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:24 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
PMBohol wrote:
How do you know this?
I know this bc I used to work there. This goes for anything bought from Amazon
Thanks. Good to know. Sometimes claims are hearsay.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

MichaelScott wrote:
PMBohol wrote:
How do you know this?
I had exactly this experience with a knife from Amazon. Some jerk had swapped in a fake and returned it and it bounced to me next. No problem at all returning it to Amazon, but now I go with reputable non-Amazon dealers and avoid this sort of nonsense. Don't worry, Amazon gets plenty of business from me for non-knife purchases, and the independent knife shops we all know and love get my business now. Everyone is happy.
Chuckboy81

Post by Chuckboy81 »

Hello,
Thanks all for your quick reply. I will send it to Sypedrco for verification.
Chuckboy81
PStone

Post by PStone »

Chuckboy81 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:53 pm
Hello,
Thanks all for your quick reply. I will send it to Sypedrco for verification.
Chuckboy81
Awesome. Keep us posted!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:29 pm
. Real or fake, I’m sure they probably would like to see it anyways. I have no doubts they’ll take care of you either way.

But Spyderco wouldn't replace a fake, would they? Why not just send it back to the seller for a refund?
PStone

Post by PStone »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:14 am
DirtMcGirt wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:29 pm
. Real or fake, I’m sure they probably would like to see it anyways. I have no doubts they’ll take care of you either way.

But Spyderco wouldn't replace a fake, would they? Why not just send it back to the seller for a refund?
Yeah. You’re right about that. But if it actually is fake, I still think spyderco would want to see it. Pretty sure they’ll still mail it back to you if you pay the shipping. I also once saw Sal offer a member here to trade his fake tenacious for a real one because they wanted to see the fake one.

If it isn’t fake, there may have been an issue in manufacturing. An physical inspection of the knife may help narrow it down.
I seem to recall there being another model with the same issue posted over on BF.
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

OP, save yourself the trouble and just return it to Amazon... I don't understand why Spyderco would want to see it at all; are they going to post a PSA about fakes based on this example?! Save yourself the shipping cost, a few weeks of time, and just return that sucker to Amazon. Get refunded in 2 days, buy the same knife from BHQ, KC, GPK, CS, etc, and move on with your life!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I guess because spyderco doesn't want that possible fake sent out when Amazon receives the return and sends it to someone else that orders that knife. Because Amazon will.
Spydergirl88
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

I’m pretty sure different knife manu’s might have “tells” when it comes to their output and Spyderco probably knows them. So get the fake, look for the tells, ID the factory.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Post pictures of it. It would be interesting to see. You can use imgur.com easily and it's free.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

You might not get it back if sent to Spyderco. I wouldn't take that risk when you can send it back to amazon and get your money back. If spyderco traded genuine pieces for fakes they'd be out of business quickly.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 pm
You might not get it back if sent to Spyderco. I wouldn't take that risk when you can send it back to amazon and get your money back. If spyderco traded genuine pieces for fakes they'd be out of business quickly.
Why would you think they might not get it back? Fake or not I don't think Spyderco would ever keep something that belonged to someone else.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:42 pm
Bodog wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 pm
Why would you think they might not get it back? Fake or not I don't think Spyderco would ever keep something that belonged to someone else.
Here's their statement from their website:

"If you return a knife to us and we determine that it is not a genuine Spyderco product, we will inform you of that fact and return it to you at your expense. Under no circumstances will we perform any service or repairs—no matter how minor—on any counterfeit, knockoff, or other non-Spyderco product."

So it looks like it would be sent back, shipping there and back at his cost.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.