Chaparral Compression Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Chaparral Compression Lock?

Post by Wartstein »

I am quite sure that it would be very hard to impossible to construct a reliable compression lock in such a thin knife / with such a thin blade stock (but I could very well be wrong, I am no engineer or whatever).

Other than that: I´d sure grant every comp. lock fan a comp. lock Chap, cause it is just such a great model.
Anyone who knows me a bit though will know also that I personally generally prefer backlocks over comp.locks by far, and particularly the backlock of the Chap is the best executed I personally ever experienced. Very thight, no blade play at all, just "satisfying" to operate.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

I think I recall Sal saying a lightweight Lil Native was in the works. That might be as close as you’ll get considering the need for thicker blade stock for the comp lock.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm down for keeping the Chap series as a backlock. It's well engineered.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:33 pm

I really don't get why some people get so bent out of shape about adding a variant of an existing knife. I don't think anyone is saying Spyderco should discontinue the back lock Chap and replace it with an RIL Chap - even though I'd be totally for that since the Sage 2 is discontinued and I'm not a fan of backlocks. But I'm not advocating that. Not yet anyway :p
I agree, if one does not like a comp lock continue to buy the back lock version. The comp lock is for the the ones who prefer it or simply won’t buy the knife with a back lock. We all have our preferences, but saying don’t build a variation because you want to snub other people’s wishes isn’t cool.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

The Vesuvius model was a 2mm compression lock right? Does anyone know what compression lock model in current production has the thinnest blade stock?

I enjoy using compression locks and I LOVE the 2mm blade stock of my Chap so I can see why people would come up with the idea to combine both of these features. Maybe less people would be upset if it was suggested to create an all new model with a compression lock and 2mm (or at least 2.5mm) blade stock?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

T_MAC686 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:48 am
The Vesuvius model was a 2mm compression lock right? Does anyone know what compression lock model in current production has the thinnest blade stock?

I enjoy using compression locks and I LOVE the 2mm blade stock of my Chap so I can see why people would come up with the idea to combine both of these features. Maybe less people would be upset if it was suggested to create an all new model with a compression lock and 2mm (or at least 2.5mm) blade stock?
The Ikuchi has a 2.5mm blade and a comp lock.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

How thick is the Kapara?
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

If a Chaparral with different lock were offered, I would prefer Walker Liner Lock. I do think the back lock is fine but I’ve had to adjust the lock bar spring on both my FRN models to gain an acceptable pressure. I don’t know why this hasn’t been changed at the factory.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:16 am
T_MAC686 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:48 am

The Ikuchi has a 2.5mm blade and a comp lock.

I want to pick one of these up when the CQI versions release!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

GiftedMisfit wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:09 am
How thick is the Kapara?
3mm blade stock.

I had a Kapara and can recall: While the comp.lock felt as strong as on my PM 2, just when looking at it I thought that a much thinner blade would not be very well suited for that kind of lock (while a backlock should work even with a 0.5 mm blade no problem) - but again, what do I know? I am not an engineer or whatever at all so I could be wrong easily.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)