Spyderco Resilience!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
tps3443
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Spyderco Resilience!

Postby tps3443 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm

I picked this up at Walmart today. I had bought one before, but went back to Walmart for a Tenacious and exchanged it. So, I decided I’d get another one.

It had the worst edge on it I’d ever seen from Spyderco. It had high, and low spots throughout the blade. And the line from the bevel would go up and down on one side in different areas. And the same thing on the other side. The tip also had a growth on it. It was like a piece up metal left behind.

I didn’t think much of it. So I put it straight on the Wicked Edge and fixed it! It is very sharp. It’s easily twice as sharp, as a sharp knife. It’s sharper than my PM2 Blurple S110V lol.

I sharpened it at 15DPS, then micro beveled at 18.5 DPS. And I stropped at 17.5DPS with firm pressure with 14 micron very fast like, then moved to 10 micron.

I use thick leather shoe laces to test my edge during sharpening. This works well because I can test each exact area for perfect sharpness. The heel, and mostly the very tip of the edge. It took forever to get the very tip effortlessly popping through leather shoe lace, as I had to grind a metal lump from it before I could begin sharpening. These leather shoe laces are about 85” long. And cutting just a small piece off each time to test the edge works well, and it last forever too.

It took about 1.5 hours to get it where I wanted it. But it’s fantastic now.


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 4749
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby TomAiello » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:49 pm

I've been able to get Spyderco's 8cr13mov screaming sharp. I just can't make it hold the edge long enough to make me happy.

I've actually been wondering if it would be a good kitchen steel (where I can resharpen more or less at will) because it's so quick and easy to get it so sharp.

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby ladybug93 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:33 pm

the resilience is great. enjoy it. i fine spyderco’s 8cr13mov to be better than that of other makers and i love my resilience even though it doesn’t see as much pocket time these days.

User avatar
Tucson Tom
Member
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:19 pm
Location: Somewhere in Arizona

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby Tucson Tom » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:44 pm

The resilience is a nice little knife. I prefer the size of it's bigger brother the Tenacious, so I gave the one I had to a friend, and he loves it -- for him it was a significant upgrade from any knife he had previously owned. He is now scheming on buying a PM2 one of these days, since he gets to play with my knives. My tenacious doesn't see as much pocket time as it used to, since it has to wait its turn in line with my other knives, but I have a lot of respect for it, even though I now have much nicer knives. A good knife to carry when there is some significant chance of losing it, since your heart won't be completely broken.

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby ladybug93 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:06 am

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:44 pm
The resilience is a nice little knife. I prefer the size of it's bigger brother the Tenacious, so I gave the one I had to a friend, and he loves it -- for him it was a significant upgrade from any knife he had previously owned. He is now scheming on buying a PM2 one of these days, since he gets to play with my knives. My tenacious doesn't see as much pocket time as it used to, since it has to wait its turn in line with my other knives, but I have a lot of respect for it, even though I now have much nicer knives. A good knife to carry when there is some significant chance of losing it, since your heart won't be completely broken.
the resilience is the bigger brother to the tenacious. it’s a big blade and it’s magnificent. ;)

BornIn1500
Member
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby BornIn1500 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:22 am

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:44 pm
I prefer the size of it's bigger brother the Tenacious
I assume you're thinking of the Persistence?

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby cabfrank » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:26 am

Yeah, it's big, similar in size to a Military. Great value.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby vivi » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:31 am

tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm
It took about 1.5 hours to get it where I wanted it. But it’s fantastic now.
Dang, what grit were you reprofiling with? That's a 20 minute job on my DMT XX coarse.
Current favorites:

Police 4 K390 & FRN ||| Police 4 K390 & Pakkawood ||| Manix XL M4 DLC & Micarta ||| Street Beat

User avatar
tps3443
Member
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby tps3443 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:53 am

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:31 am
tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm
It took about 1.5 hours to get it where I wanted it. But it’s fantastic now.
Dang, what grit were you reprofiling with? That's a 20 minute job on my DMT XX coarse.
Im new to sharpening. And I had to reshape the blade, and edge while maintaining a nice look, so I’m figuring it out as I go lol. It takes a little work to get rid of all the 200 grit scratches too. Plus, I go through several different stages of diamonds. Then Strop with different compounds. And I’ve gotta clean the edge in between switching compounds, grits.
Etc.etc.

Probably the sharpest edge I’ve ever put on any knife. To bad 8cr13mov scary sharp is a short lived experience.

Normally it doesn’t take long, but I wanted it pretty looking! All of this work and it’ll stay very sharp for a couple hours if that tomorrow at work haha! My PM2 S110V is still decently shaving sharp and maintains that for about 2 days. And my cutting is constant at work.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby Pelagic » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:38 pm

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:31 am
tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm
It took about 1.5 hours to get it where I wanted it. But it’s fantastic now.
Dang, what grit were you reprofiling with? That's a 20 minute job on my DMT XX coarse.
:confused: :confused:

That's hardly a 5 minute job, even including all the light passes for burr minimization. I love my DMT XX coarse!
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5488
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Maybe I'm just getting snobby and spoiled from all the fantastic models Spyderco puts out, but I personally would have saved the $40 or whatever this Walmart knife cost and put it towards something else, or one of the many soon to be released knives.
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

User avatar
abbazaba
Member
Posts: 3432
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm
Location: New England

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby abbazaba » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:37 pm

I enjoy your enthusiasm! Keep the progress reports coming.

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby ladybug93 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:44 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:18 pm
Maybe I'm just getting snobby and spoiled from all the fantastic models Spyderco puts out, but I personally would have saved the $40 or whatever this Walmart knife cost and put it towards something else, or one of the many soon to be released knives.
there’s something great about carrying a $50 knife that is a great value and still a great tool. nothing wrong with that just because it can be found at walmart.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7900
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby vivi » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:38 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:31 am
tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm
It took about 1.5 hours to get it where I wanted it. But it’s fantastic now.
Dang, what grit were you reprofiling with? That's a 20 minute job on my DMT XX coarse.
:confused: :confused:

That's hardly a 5 minute job, even including all the light passes for burr minimization. I love my DMT XX coarse!
If you're just taking the edge angle down, you're right. 8Cr grinds very fast on diamonds. If you're progressing up to a high polish, that adds the extra 15 minutes.

Personally I like a low grit back bevel and if I'm polishing anything it's the microbevel. Same performance at the apex, less time wasted.
Current favorites:

Police 4 K390 & FRN ||| Police 4 K390 & Pakkawood ||| Manix XL M4 DLC & Micarta ||| Street Beat

User avatar
Pelagic
Member
Posts: 2440
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Location: East Coast/Nomadic

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby Pelagic » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:23 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:38 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:31 am
tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:39 pm
It took about 1.5 hours to get it where I wanted it. But it’s fantastic now.
Dang, what grit were you reprofiling with? That's a 20 minute job on my DMT XX coarse.
:confused: :confused:

That's hardly a 5 minute job, even including all the light passes for burr minimization. I love my DMT XX coarse!
If you're just taking the edge angle down, you're right. 8Cr grinds very fast on diamonds. If you're progressing up to a high polish, that adds the extra 15 minutes.

Personally I like a low grit back bevel and if I'm polishing anything it's the microbevel. Same performance at the apex, less time wasted.
I'm the same way when I microbevel.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?

rodloos
Member
Posts: 1622
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: DFW, TX

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby rodloos » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:28 am

I think the Resilience is a great knife, sort of like a poor man's Military (without the choil). I have 2 of them, one I bought and one I won in one of Spyderco's drawings. Good for kitchen duties when camping.

I wish the Walmarts in my area carried Spydercos.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)

Sjucaveman
Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm
Location: Central Mn

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby Sjucaveman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:04 am

rodloos wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:28 am
I think the Resilience is a great knife, sort of like a poor man's Military (without the choil). I have 2 of them, one I bought and one I won in one of Spyderco's drawings. Good for kitchen duties when camping.

I wish the Walmarts in my area carried Spydercos.
You can order them through their site for in store pickup. So long as you don't use a 3rd party vendor you can return them in store if something is off with it.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby ladybug93 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:32 pm

rodloos wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:28 am
Good for kitchen duties when camping.
this is really where the resilience excels in my mind. people kind of freak when they see it, but it looks like a kitchen knife to me and it’s great when i need to cut food up for my kids and don’t want to get what i’m cutting all in the pivot. cutting a large slice of pizza in half for my kids to share is much nicer with a resilience than with even my manix lw, which i can’t take apart to clean if i need to. don’t get me wrong, i generally prefer the manix overall, but not for this specific task.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22338
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: Spyderco Resilience!

Postby Evil D » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:54 pm

I'd buy one if they came in SE.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aicolainen, attila, D1omedes, dan31, Evil D, jdw, Phil Wilson, thebard42, Wartstein, WRB and 50 guests