What's your favorite little-big Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Filoso-

Re: What's your favorite little-big Spyderco?

Post by Filoso- »

elena86

Post by elena86 »

PanChango wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:24 pm
The Light Weight Chapparal wins for me. The k390 Urban is another good one. I have a few, but have never been a big fan of the dragonfly.

I chose the Dragonfly2 over my beloved K390 Urban just because I consider the Urban more of a medium sized folder. A small folder has a < 2.5 inch blade lenght in my book
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

Swick. No other fixed blade offers such a comfortable grip for me with such a small overall size.

So happy they're coming back.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

C22 in CF followed by the Techno :D

Last edited by NoFair on Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Rhino
Lil’ Native compression lock
Lil’ Lum G10
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Old pic, but you probably get the idea :)

restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

The Stealth Ti Chap or G10 dragonfly
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I guess I'm confused on what a little big knife is. The Baby Jess Horn and the Squarehead are just small knives to me. There's nothing about them that makes them feel big in the hand, or makes me think they'd perform like a larger knife.

In contrast, the Chaparral just seems like a smaller EDC knife to me. It's about the same size as the Delica, which, to my knowledge, Spyderco has never classified as a little big knife. Are the Sage series knives little big knives?

I think of knives like the Salsa, Lava, Navigator, and Meerkat as little big knives. I think the Lil' Native falls into that category too.

Where do the rest of y'all draw the line between just a small knife, a small EDC, and a true little big knife?
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

The chap is closer to the lil native than the delica.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Lil Native comp lock as my EDC, DF2 HB as a lightweight workhorse, FRN Squarehead as a fun design that doesn't intimidate non-knife people
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
NvalidRgument

Post by NvalidRgument »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 am
Cricket or DoDo if I had one.

Nvalid, Can you retake photo on a plain background so the knives are the focus, not the background image ?
20181027_192311~01~01.jpg
500Nitro, thanks for the suggestion, all I had on hand was a cardboard box as a backdrop so I grabbed a Buff neck gaiter to cover it up.

This time I brought out my old Meerkat while I was at it which is one of the coolest and most under appreciated small Spyderco designs IMO and mine is well used as you can see by the scuffs and chipped blade. Added an Almite Navigator to round things out
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

restless ghost wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:25 pm
The chap is closer to the lil native than the delica.
I disagree. The Chap has even thinner blade stock than the Delica. The Lil' Native blade stock that's the same thickness as much larger Spydercos.The Chap is a slicer, while the Lil' Native is built for heavier use. The Chap is a small EDC. The Lil' Native is a big knife with a short blade - or a little big knife.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

I meant in terms of overall size when open.
NvalidRgument

Post by NvalidRgument »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:00 pm
Hi NvalidRgument,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks Sal! And thanks for all the amazing knives over the years!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Restless, I see what you mean.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

I always assumed "little big knife" referred to a smaller knife that felt much larger when used. A small knife that punched above its weight. Not necessarily blade stock thickness. "Small" is definitely defined by the user though....*cough Vivi *cough :)
NvalidRgument

Post by NvalidRgument »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 pm
I guess I'm confused on what a little big knife is. The Baby Jess Horn and the Squarehead are just small knives to me. There's nothing about them that makes them feel big in the hand, or makes me think they'd perform like a larger knife.

In contrast, the Chaparral just seems like a smaller EDC knife to me. It's about the same size as the Delica, which, to my knowledge, Spyderco has never classified as a little big knife. Are the Sage series knives little big knives?

I think of knives like the Salsa, Lava, Navigator, and Meerkat as little big knives. I think the Lil' Native falls into that category too.

Where do the rest of y'all draw the line between just a small knife, a small EDC, and a true little big knife?
20181027_195147~01.jpg
What started me on the small Spydercos was an aluminum Cricket, a great feel and lots of cutting power in a small package. I collected a ton of small Spydercos over the years including the elusive rainbow Cricket and the carbon fiber Ladybug. Currently it's the Spin I take it everywhere along with a bullet pen and the usual EDC type stuff. There's a bunch of other small models I've missed out on that I have been curious about like the Toad and the micarta Jester which is why I love seeing these strings on the forum. Right now I don't see how it could get much better than the Spin, even compared to some of the other great small designs but there's always great new knives coming out from Spyderco.

That's why I love collecting Spydercos, the Dodo and the Navigator are both great designs along with the Meerkat, if you go up in size it's hard to beat a G-10 Lava. But with all the great designs it would take a lot to get me to part with the Spin, if there were a smaller Chad Los Banos Spyderco design, maybe combined with a ball lock like the Poliwog or even frame lock like a tactical Toad? Maybe a Spyderco Battle Toad? lol
vivi

Post by vivi »

restless ghost wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:01 pm
I always assumed "little big knife" referred to a smaller knife that felt much larger when used. A small knife that punched above its weight. Not necessarily blade stock thickness. "Small" is definitely defined by the user though....*cough Vivi *cough :)
lol. these guys arguing if chaps and delicas are small and I can't even get a comfortable four finger grip on the latter.

I picked the Swick because the handle design is brilliant. The index finger and middle finger stack on top of one another, allowing me to get a four finger grip in a handle that sounds too small on paper.

If you look at the measurements for cutting edge and handle length for the Swick, it sounds like it should be too small for me. That's one of the main reasons I think the Swick is an incredible EDC FB.

I also love the negative blade angle. Between that and the finger hole I can get incredible leverage from this tiny design.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
NvalidRgument

Post by NvalidRgument »

Also, fun fact: The 1st generation black ladybug model (LBK), was packaged and sold at one point as the Little Big Knife to sell to the military. You can find the old clamshell packaging some places with the LBK name.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =2&t=33124
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I have a Manbug on my keychain, but it’s really a novelty item more than anything else. I’ve used it a few times to cut very light duty things like string or tape.honestly, I would rather carry the Manbug over a Delica or para...if I need a bigger/ heavy duty knife, I would just reach for my main edc: the Military. I personally never had a situation come up that the little Manbug or Military combined couldn’t handle.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.