GB Air LW?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toocool006

GB Air LW?

Post by toocool006 »

Hey y'all,

I had the craziest thought this morning - a reimagining of Mr. Bradley's beautiful Air. I love so much about the knife, but living in Southern Louisiana has its drawbacks, including not being the most M4-friendly environment. In addition, I was thinking about how much I love, love, love the FRN chappie, and how successful that has been as a more utilitarian version of the classic dress/gent's folder. So I started to mash the two up in my mind and started to get very excited. Here's a first draft of what could easily become my spydie grail:

Steel: CTS-XHP - still pretty top-shelf but totally stable (in my experience at least) where I live with a bare minimum of attention
Handles: FRN (the same texture as the chappie? a new texture unique to the air ?) with stainless liners, and of course keeping the liners proud to the handles in classic Bradley fashion
Clip: addition of a wire clip to get this dress knife into more pockets than just coin pockets and suit jackets! (probably the biggest change to the original, but from what I've read Mr. Bradley was pretty 50/50 on clip vs. clipless and clipless was just where it came out for the original, please correct me if I'm misinformed!)

Everything else I'd leave the exact same to the original Air, especially the amazing wharnie blade shape - one of the biggest attractions imho.

Would love to hear y'alls thoughts about this great (or terrible?) idea.

--Andrew
~andrew
Sharp Guy

Re: GB Air LW?

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sounds great to me! I don't think it'll ever happen but it's fun to dream. I'd likely buy one if it did happen.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Would be more interested in a re-issue in a different color.
Would buy this too.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
phaust

Post by phaust »

Don't see the point in liners with it as small as it is, but a LW Air would be sweet. A Salt version would be cool, too
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd settle for a sprint in Maxamet. :)
knolan

Post by knolan »

I really like your idea of a new Air Bradley, with a clip & FRN scales, and relieved (skeletonized) SS liners since it might help somewhat with the oft-reported weak detent issue the original Air exhibited. I suspect even with SS liners, and FRN scales it might actually end up slightly heavier than the original though (1.27oz), with it's relieved Ti liners and titanium/glass fiber laminate scales. I agree CTS-XHP would be a great choice as well.

Actually, I would have just simply appreciated the original Air Bradly with a stronger detent, preventing opening in my pocket as it has several times over the 2+ years I've owned it. I ultimately torqued the pivot screw enough that it now feels like a friction folder with a lock...but at least I don't cut myself while retrieving it from my pocket now. I acquired my original at a good price (approx $99 I think?) on Massdrop about the time they were discontinuing it. I still love the way this sweet little folder was rendered...the velvety feel at the pivot rolling the blade slowly out, M4 blade steel, slanted grind, and feather-like weight. IMO one of the more sophisticated examples of Taichung's production capability.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

knolan wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:10 pm
Actually, I would have just simply appreciated the original Air Bradly with a stronger detent, preventing opening in my pocket as it has several times over the 2+ years I've owned it.
I solved this on my ladybug by putting it in a kydex sheath. Have you tried something like that? it also gave me a nice place to put a dangling clip so that I could attach it to my keys if I wanted to.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Thx for the tip but I'm not really a sheath/holster guy. My tightened pivot seems to keep me from being cut, and I don't mind slow(er) opening folders.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

knolan wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:10 pm
I suspect even with SS liners, and FRN scales it might actually end up slightly heavier than the original though (1.27oz), with it's relieved Ti liners and titanium/glass fiber laminate scales.
I'm pretty sure you're on the mark here - I think lightweight is probably the wrong way to think of this reimagining of the Air, but the LW appellation fits with the trend that Spyderco has put out (Chap, Native, etc.) in most other respects except actual weight. ;)

Glad to hear the idea is resonating with some other folks out there in the Spyderverse!
~andrew
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The thought of making a lightweight Air made me smile.. I mean you'd pretty much have to put helium filled scales on it to make it lighter IMO.
I get the idea but i'd rather call it the UtilitAIRy ;)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:19 pm
... I'd rather call it the UtilitAIRy ;)
Couldn't have said it better myself lol :D
~andrew
awa54

Post by awa54 »

IMO the most important change to a new version of the Air would be to thin the grind of the blade so that it actually slices like a FFG blade. My vote for a complete package would include M390-ish steel, different scale material (Rafir Noble anyone?) and a pocket clip.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

awa54 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 am
IMO the most important change to a new version of the Air would be to thin the grind of the blade so that it actually slices like a FFG blade. My vote for a complete package would include M390-ish steel, different scale material (Rafir Noble anyone?) and a pocket clip.
Yes, sounds perfect
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

It's called Air because it's already extremely lightweight, why would I get one in FRN

Wire clip will be as long as the knife, why not a hourglass clip in the middle of the handle :D

I'll get one in S125V or Rex 121 :D

awa54

Post by awa54 »

I'll amend my wish list to say that CruWear would also be just fine and a titanium version of the mini-hourglass clip as featured on the Balance/Equilibrium might be ideal for this size knife.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Gsg9 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:07 am
Wire clip will be as long as the knife
Not if they use a Dragonfly clip
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Pocket sheaths can carry the same as a clipped knife, especially with a knife as small as the Air.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

araneae

Post by araneae »

I would need one, but only if it was clipped.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

If it didn't have an occluded Spyderhole for left handed opening I'd buy one.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:08 pm
Pocket sheaths can carry the same as a clipped knife, especially with a knife as small as the Air.

I like this. Scales?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation