Sal asks you to design a Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
samdasnake

Re: Sal asks you to design a Spyderco.

Post by samdasnake »

SpyderScout wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 pm
Jazz wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:00 am

Quite like that one.

RH only wire clip, coyote brown FRN and its good to go in my book. :spyder: instead of maple leaf as well, pls :D
I really love this design!!
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:27 pm
I know Sal loves the ethnic series as much as I do.

The Khyber. Rookie size Spydie hole, Junior style pivot, comp lock, 3.6" blade.. O5" max thickness blade to the spine flair.

Alot of the ethnics have bolsters. I notice most khybers have metal bolsters. A Ti bolster like the Navaja would look great.
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

Thinking about this some more, I would want a knife with a handle like an Opinel or Mora Classic made out of G10 or Micarta with a Schempp cant, a liner, compression, or mid-lock locking system, and a blade like the Lum Tanto or Gayle Bradley. Steel would be AEB-L/14C28N/Nitro-V/CTS BD1N for stainless and M4 for nonstainless.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

jasonstone20 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:34 pm
Thinking about this some more, I would want a knife with a handle like an Opinel or Mora Classic made out of G10 or Micarta with a Schempp cant, a liner, compression, or mid-lock locking system, and a blade like the Lum Tanto or Gayle Bradley. Steel would be AEB-L/14C28N/Nitro-V/CTS BD1N for stainless and M4 for nonstainless.
+1 on this. A rounded handle that is slightly indexed to fit your grip would be nice.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jason,

Would you please explain your "thinking" on this concept? Why?

sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Some people (probably a lot / most) wouldn't buy a Spydie edge. Only the "educated/initiated would buy SE.
Practicality and serrations, powerful agents to the uninitiated, but we are initiated aren't we? Members of the league of spyderco.

I couldn't resist.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

samdasnake wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:04 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Jazz wrote:

Quite like that one.

RH only wire clip, coyote brown FRN and its good to go in my book. :spyder: instead of maple leaf as well, pls :D
I really love this beautiful design. The blade shape is great and the design is otherwise simple. I agree with F Re N and wire clip. I'd buy it!
Crux

Post by Crux »

How about a Para 3 with a smaller lanyard hole and the clip mounted at the end? :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Tims

Post by Tims »

I’m just going to pop my head in and show my support for the high hollow grind idea. Thin, high and hollow. As thin, high and hollow as the team at Spyderco deem reliable from a warranty stand point.

Now I’m here, I’ll also add that I would love to see some neutral handle ergos. I’m a huge fan of forward finger choils. In the absence of those however, I prefer a neutral handle design. Some might argue that they can’t achieve a positive grip on a neutral handle but I strongly disagree. I would actually love to hear Sals thoughts on neutral ergos. If anyone can put to market a good neutral handle folder it’s Sal, Eric and the team.

Somebody mentioned blade cant and I back that 100%. Doesn’t have to be extreme, what you see on the Endura is enough. The increased cutting power and cutting comfort from a positive blade cant is amazing. The further you go in the opposite direction ie negative cant, the worse it starts to feel.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Image A refinement of either of these would be kinda cool
Ruudr

Post by Ruudr »

razorsharp wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:16 am
I would buy that! Nicely drawed!
sal

Post by sal »

Tims wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:03 am
I’m just going to pop my head in and show my support for the high hollow grind idea. Thin, high and hollow. As thin, high and hollow as the team at Spyderco deem reliable from a warranty stand point.

Now I’m here, I’ll also add that I would love to see some neutral handle ergos. I’m a huge fan of forward finger choils. In the absence of those however, I prefer a neutral handle design. Some might argue that they can’t achieve a positive grip on a neutral handle but I strongly disagree. I would actually love to hear Sals thoughts on neutral ergos. If anyone can put to market a good neutral handle folder it’s Sal, Eric and the team.

Somebody mentioned blade cant and I back that 100%. Doesn’t have to be extreme, what you see on the Endura is enough. The increased cutting power and cutting comfort from a positive blade cant is amazing. The further you go in the opposite direction ie negative cant, the worse it starts to feel.
Hi Tims,

So what are you calling neutral, negative and positive angles?

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Here's my super original design. I would take a Chap LW, change the FRN color to Yellow, change the steel to LC200N, and make the hardware Salt worthy. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:16 am
Hi Jason,

Would you please explain your "thinking" on this concept? Why?

sal
Sal,
Sure. A blade that will have high performance in cutting. Thin behind the edge, doesn't have to have not very thin stock, high edge angle (closer to a zero grind). A round, larger handle with either a palm swell shape or a more neutral oval Mora Classic type handle (kind of like the Spyderco Street Beat or Spyderco Moran, but a in a slightly small folder size) for hard use and maximum ergonomics in multiple grip positions. Similar reason with the Ed Schempp negative blade rake to increase both ergonomics, cutting power and cutting efficiency. Fred Perrin style finger indexing cutout. No blade guard, blade termination like a Benchmade Griptillian Sheepsfoot blade. G10 or Micarta for grip when wet. Full height hollow grind, opening hole. Either style of blade, like the Gayle Bradley or Lum Tanto for EDC use, hard use cutting, and opening letters. No jimping. Laynard hole, preferably off a standoff at the back of the knife so the pocket clip in tip down can ride low, 4-way pocket clip. Think a Medford meets Emerson meets Spyderco.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jason,

Thanx for the response. All of what you say makes sense except for the round handle. So I guess How round is round is the question? We have found that when a folder takes up too much pocket real estate or is too "round", sales suck.

sal
Tims

Post by Tims »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:56 am
Tims wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:03 am

Hi Tims,

So what are you calling neutral, negative and positive angles?

sal
‘Morning Sal

Apologies, pics would be handy here but I suck at that so I’ll do my best to explain.

Neutral would be, tip of blade inline with pivot Eg. Delica

Positive would be tip below pivot. Eg Schemmp Bowie

Negative would be tip above pivot point. Edge trailing like Bill Moran trailing point or street beat
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tom's,

Ed Schempp refers to his designs as having a negative angle.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 am
Hi Jason,

Thanx for the response. All of what you say makes sense except for the round handle. So I guess How round is round is the question? We have found that when a folder takes up too much pocket real estate or is too "round", sales suck.

sal
Even if they're relatively narrow, but still barrel shaped, it makes it a lot less comfortable to EDC.

I've been trying to find a good EDC light that's flat for that reason. The round tube shaped lights aren't as comfortable, because for example if they get sandwiched between your body and a chair while sitting, you feel a lot more pressure than something flat that spreads out the force better.

Rounder handles are a lot more comfortable, but they work better for foxed blades IMO.
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

samdasnake wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:29 pm
samdasnake wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:04 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Jazz wrote:

Quite like that one.

I really love this beautiful design. The blade shape is great and the design is otherwise simple. I agree with F Re N and wire clip. I'd buy it!
This needs to be a thing.

If it were the size of the Baby Horn, that would be fantastic.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson