Sal asks you to design a Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
silvershade255

Re: Sal asks you to design a Spyderco.

Post by silvershade255 »

I'd love to see a new ethnic series knife based off what I know as a hmong knife, really its just a common design throughout se Asia.

https://goo.gl/images/UNxHQ3
"Seven for One"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

silvershade255 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:47 pm
I'd love to see a new ethnic series knife based off what I know as a hmong knife, really its just a common design throughout se Asia.

https://goo.gl/images/UNxHQ3
That would be a cool blade shape scaled down to a folder.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been talking with a few makers and it looks like I'll be getting my design made sometime between now and xmas!
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:01 pm
I've been talking with a few makers and it looks like I'll be getting my design made sometime between now and xmas!

This will be very interesting Vivi. I look forward to hearing more about it once you get the knife in hand.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I want to see the people on the forum with professional butcher experience design a line of Spyderco heavy-use butcher knives.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

How about a 22” long, 3” wide two-handed chopper made of 3V? :D
SpyderEdgeForever

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:53 pm
How about a 22” long, 3” wide two-handed chopper made of 3V? :D
That sounds like some knife! But would 3V rust out easilly?
SpyderEdgeForever

Surf Gringo: I want to see more designs by you, with Salt based knives in the 3.5 inch blade length range, folders and fixed.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:14 am
Here is my design....

The Spyderco Companion

The Companion is the newest fixed blade from Spyderco. Designed by forum member "Vivi," the Companion is meant to be an every day carry. The design is as compact as possible while retaining a full sized knife feel. The scales are fully contoured linen Micarta, with a shape meant to adapt to any hand size. The deep integral guard and generous palm swell ensure a secure grip in any conditions.

The blade is full flat ground from 2mm stock for unrivaled cutting performance. The M4 blade exhibits excellent toughness and edge retention. The leaf shape blade features a distinctive negative angle, giving the user enhanced leverage while slicing. The spine is fully radiused with no jimping for all day working comfort.

The Companion comes complete with a fold-over style boltaron sheath & Spyderco G-clip. Alternatively, a chain can be attached to the bottom two rivets, allowing the Companion to function as a neck knife. The hollow pin at the rear end of the handle functions as a lanyard hole. At a mere 3.1oz with sheath, the Companion is meant to be by your side at all times.

Here's some additional photos.

The companion next to two fixed blades it drew inspiration from:

In hand photos:

Compared to a Pacific Salt:

An idea of what it would look like on my belt:

Let me get this straight:this little gem will be produced by Spyderco?Like in we will be able to buy it?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Nope. The idea for the thread was to post a completely new and original design that you would propose if you had the chance to design your own Spyderco. These are unexisting designs made for fun.

Didn't exactly take off as intended.
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

I would have a line of knives. Military, Paramilitary 2, Para 3, Police, Endura, Delica, Resilience, Tenacious/Raven 2/Polestar, Ambitious, with full height hollow grinds, 0.010" behind the edge, 10* DPS with 15* DPS microbevel. Steel options would be group 1: (8Cr13MoV/AUS 8, 9Cr18MoV/BD1/440B/GIN 1, 52100 or 1095 @ 64HRC), group 2 (SG2, CTS B75P, VG-10, BD1N, S30V/S35VN), group 3 (Nitrobe77, AEB-L @ 62 HRC. Nitro-V @ 64 HRC, LC200N).
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jason,

I've been nagging Cliff for a collaboration for years. Can't get him to bite. I think it wold be a fun project. Maybe you can help? He can tell me what he thinks and I can turn it into a model. His brain, my hands?

Also, regarding the high hollow. I agree with you that it might be the most efficient cutting tool. Chris Reeve has always liked his high hollow.
The high hollow keeps the blade thin for a long space and what it gives up in strength, it makes up for having that thin blade at and near the edge. Certainly better for skinning. Like the Hamaguri (convex), the geometry of a blade has much more depth than is originally perceived. The reason is the friction alongside the blade in a cut.

SSssooo...for the purpose of discussion, Let's pick a model and make a high hollow? Whatchathink?

(May be better in another thread?)

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:40 am
Nope. The idea for the thread was to post a completely new and original design that you would propose if you had the chance to design your own Spyderco. These are unexisting designs made for fun.

Didn't exactly take off as intended.
I also agree. We would not be interested in making a knife similar to what another company is making. It's the outside of the box, pushing the envelope that rings my bell.

sal
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

A folding Nesmuk, slightly negative blade angle, stop lock, open back, sculpted or rounded scales, material to be decided.
Would the Hamaguri grind have any advantage for a Nesmuk style blade? Otherwise a high hollow. In BD1 or BD1N. Please :) .
Just realised this sounds like the Parata :D , not my intention at all, I was thinking slightly more traditional looking blade and handle.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:33 pm
A folding Nesmuk, slightly negative blade angle, stop lock, open back, sculpted or rounded scales, material to be decided.
Would the Hamaguri grind have any advantage for a Nesmuk style blade? Otherwise a high hollow. In BD1 or BD1N. Please :) .
Just realised this sounds like the Parata :D , not my intention at all, I was thinking slightly more traditional looking blade and handle.
Have you seen the Condor Neonecker? I thought about picking one up.

Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Thanks Vivi. That I like, slightly slimmer blade than I was imagining, but quite close. Like the micarta too.
Now to get a folding version too... :)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

$60 for that, interesting.

Reminds me of a cross between a Green River skinner and a Green River sheep skinner.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
jasonstone20

Post by jasonstone20 »

Sal,
I think a Para-Military 2 would work. Maybe a left-handed model or a button like on the Spyderco Smock, to help with ergo's, as the right-handed PM2 can have a hot spot where the lock release is.

edit:
I forgot to add M4 as a steel I would like.
"Gotta love living in 2019 baby, (63rc too soft on a production knife)"
--Shawn Houston

"I am still discussing issues of steels and performance at this stage."
--Cliff Stamp, May his memory be a blessing

"Cause geometry cuts, .....steel determines the level and the duration"
--Roman Landes

"Life is GOOD!"
--Stefan Wolf, May his memory be a blessing

--Ken Schwartz, May his memory be a blessing

"But in general, I'm all about high performance, Ergos, safety. That's why I've been accused of 'designing in the dark' "
--Sal Glesser
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Could never resist a decent nessmuk.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:21 am
Hi Jason,

I've been nagging Cliff for a collaboration for years. Can't get him to bite. I think it wold be a fun project. Maybe you can help? He can tell me what he thinks and I can turn it into a model. His brain, my hands?

Also, regarding the high hollow. I agree with you that it might be the most efficient cutting tool. Chris Reeve has always liked his high hollow.
The high hollow keeps the blade thin for a long space and what it gives up in strength, it makes up for having that thin blade at and near the edge. Certainly better for skinning. Like the Hamaguri (convex), the geometry of a blade has much more depth than is originally perceived. The reason is the friction alongside the blade in a cut.

SSssooo...for the purpose of discussion, Let's pick a model and make a high hollow? Whatchathink?

(May be better in another thread?)

sal
Sal, I think a high hollow grind XHP blade with the current 3.2mm stock in a Native 5 LW could lead to interesting comparisons against the current Chaparral LW with its thinner stock FFG XHP blade. Or perhaps a Sage with current 3mm stock, but the switch to high hollow grind XHP to put against the Chap's FFG 2mm stock XHP. Doing that would remove further variables since they'd both be made at the Taichung plant with all the same heat treat and finishing processes.