Larger version of the Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fatsubie

Re: Larger version of the Paramilitary 2

Post by fatsubie »

I want a scale down version of para2, I don’t like chubby blade shape of Para3.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:59 pm
SF Native wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:57 pm
Spyderco made a back lock manix. Many really like that model.
I am still sulking after learning that model was discontinued. Here I was dreaming about sprint runs in K390 or Rex45 and nobody buys the thing and it gets discontinued. It is just wrong and sad. I grabbed two on clearance to use as Christmas gifts for my two sons.
I was hoping for an XL model myself. I would have bought one. Or if they run the Manix XL in DLC M4 like that Military sprint that just popped up.
:unicorn
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

If you want a larger compression lock knife the Caribbean is an option too. Same cutting edge as a military. Or wait for the Caribbean XL for even more knife.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

We have the PM2, the Military, and the Police. I'm happy with the current selection. I guess adding is ok; just don't replace any of these.
SAF-1

Post by SAF-1 »

Or at least a TIP UP Military ??? I’ve owned several and always end up selling them because I can’t get past the Tip Down only !!!! At least Tap it so we can have Options???
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

SAF-1 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:47 am
Or at least a TIP UP Military ???

Then they'd need to have a bigger liner, which would also make it heavier. It's not possible now because it's only G10 where the clip would go. Not saying they shouldn't, but it's more complicated than just tapping the G10.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:10 pm
People are endlessly requesting hypothetical models on this forum; one guy wanted a Delica Wharncliffe and everyone thought he was crazy! How dare he change a beloved design?!? Well, the Jazz-elica turned out to be a great idea after all, didn't it?

I'll be blunt and say it, Sal give us a compression lock Military, please!
Isn't that essentially what a Para2 with a longer blade and compression lock would be; a C-36 Military model with a compression lock for all intent and purposes? Because I thought the whole idea of the Paramilitary model from the beginning was to have something along the same style as the C-36 Military with a shorter, more sheeple friendly blade? Hey I'm not at all trying to be sarcastic because GOD knows I get a lot of rocks thrown at me for some of my ideas that I have proposed in the past :rolleyes: :D

But I do agree in part agree with what some of the first responders said about just leaving the Para2 just the way it is. Because since I've gotten one in S110V and in S90V I've really grown to love the Para2 much more. The Para3 is one that I just don't have much use for because that blade is just way too short for what I do on a daily basis.

I tend to agree in part when the one Brother said "If It Isn't Broke, Then Let's Don't Try To Fix It". A Completely new model with some of the same basic ideas>> now that makes more sense to me personally :)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:38 pm
For those of you that;
A) Have use for large folders
B) Love the Paramilitary 2 (but want a longer blade)
C) Rarely wear thick gloves and don't need a liner lock
D) Prefer compression locks (which work perfectly fine with thin gloves)
E) Prefer multi position pocket clips (done right, from the factory) *Tip up without jerry rigging
F) Have no desire to change the existing Military model

If Sal could find/make time (in the up coming year) for his engineer to design a longer version of the Paramilitary 2, would you be interested?

This is my dream knife!

Perhaps dealer/distributors may be more likely to do sprints in this new model. 'Cos lately, they obviously haven't shown the Military a whole lotta love.
Yes, yes, absolutely YES. Give me full liners (skeletonized is fine) and washers slightly bigger than what the military has, and there's no telling how many I'd buy.

Lots of people will shoot this idea down for various reasons, but there simply are not enough of these people to prevent this model from selling. You don't have to be a knife guy to want a pm2 variant. It's too big of a mainstream success.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:07 pm
Bdubs808 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:10 pm
People are endlessly requesting hypothetical models on this forum; one guy wanted a Delica Wharncliffe and everyone thought he was crazy! How dare he change a beloved design?!? Well, the Jazz-elica turned out to be a great idea after all, didn't it?

I'll be blunt and say it, Sal give us a compression lock Military, please!
Isn't that essentially what a Para2 with a longer blade and compression lock would be; a C-36 Military model with a compression lock for all intent and purposes?
There's a lot of subtle differences that add up.

- four way clip vs rhtd only
- deep index choil vs shallow
- the lock difference
- jimping on the blade and handle vs just the blade
- the grip behind the index choil is shaped different

I'm a big fan of all of these changes, though I'd take a cbbl or backlock over a detent based lock.

This scaled up Para 2 might weigh a bit more than the Military does in the basic G10 form.

I do wonder what a linerless backlock Military with FRN backspacer would weigh.

Either way, they should keep the Military as is available for a while yet, just like they've done with the original Police despite already being on the fourth revisionof that model.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
For those of you that;

I know this will sound like heresy to this crowd, but this sure seems like people would love a PM2 without that finger choil taking away blade edge. Then maybe shift the grip forward on the handle so there's no need for that choil.

No choil + shift grip forward = perfect knife
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:07 pm
Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
For those of you that;

I know this will sound like heresy to this crowd, but this sure seems like people would love a PM2 without that finger choil taking away blade edge. Then maybe shift the grip forward on the handle so there's no need for that choil.

I think my ideal preference would be 80-90% of the choil on the handle, as opposed to 50/50. I certainly understand your point but i like the choil at the same time.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Post by vivi »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:07 pm
Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
For those of you that;

This would be my preference for most models.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I love my PM2. I really do like it so much. The newness has faded on it, it’s first few superficial scratches have formed on the blade. And now I enjoy using it even more. There’s just something about it that my Tenacious, or resilience can not provide for me. I’m very interested in trying a full size military so see how I like it vs my PM2.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

The Military is a relative of the para series at best. Not taking anything away from it, we're all aware of it's merits.

It's a different animal entirely, with a different set of features, that hopefully endures for years to come.

Personally, I tend lean towards the features of the para series quite a bit more.

We have the baby, the para3
and the momma, the pm2
Missing is the longer version...if it could be designed so that when folded, it's not as wide as the manix 2.

Any artists here wanna take a stab at sketching their take on it?
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Sorry, double post.
Last edited by Bill1170 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

A PM2XL would be attractive to me. Think of it as an analog to the Manix 2XL. Same thickness blade stock would be plenty for me.

I would like it with the PM2 blade shape, but no choil, like on the Caribbean.