More Spyderco designs need to be made in Spain.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

More Spyderco designs need to be made in Spain.

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Spain is a great center of knife-production and they make some of the best knives in the world. I would like to see Spyderco have more of their knives produced in Spain. Any feedback on this?
legOFwhat?

Re: More Spyderco designs need to be made in Spain.

Post by legOFwhat? »

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
awa54

Post by awa54 »

SEF, which Spanish maker(s) do you like? I don't know which ones could plausibly keep up with producing a Spyderco design, as all the Spanish makers I'm familiar with are more focused on either economy or reproduction of historical blades.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spain made some of the best swords and knives hundreds of years ago, but what's your proof that they're still making "some of the best knives in the world" today? Personally, I doubt many would agree with that claim. Are there even any makers there who have the necessary equipment to work with modern exotic steels?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

as a Spaniard very interested in his own country's cutlery and its evolution,
I will have to agree with the two gentlemen above, SEF. :spyder:

We do not have the materials, processes or precedents to do this. Out best and biggest companies (Aitor, Muela, Joker, Cudeman, Nieto) are making mostly fixed blades, and the few folders they make and have are traditional patterns (or, if they are modern OHO locking knives, they are imported from China like the new ATK [Aitor Tactical Knives] line of linerlock G10 flippers and thumstud knives) :mad:
Sheath knives are arguably easier to design, produce and build than folders, especially to high quality standards and good tolerances

These companies used AN-58, 440B, 440A and similar steels for years but trying to keep up with the trends and customer demands they are now using imported N690, N695 (mostly Cudeman) and other German or Sandvik steels, nothing made in our own country (our steel mills are very limited and haven't been updated in long time, both in materials and processes/techniques) :confused:

The other companies that do have modern folding knives are importers of low quality junk (rebranded Chinese pot steel folders like MTech, UnitedCutlery, Frost and such in the US), mostly Albainox and RUI :(

Finally, there are stagnant companies that are of smaller size and have been producing the same old patterns and models for the last 50 or more years with little to no change (like Pallares in Solsona or other Basque companies)

Some of our custom makers (like Miguel Barbudo...) do have international recognition and make modern designs, high quality pieces with top notch materials and modern features, but they are few and far in between :o and most of them work for SPanish customers or inside of the country requests and designs
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Beyond capability you have to ask what could they do that Taichung/Japan aren't already doing? If it isn't made there to save cost, then it has to be because they offer something the others don't.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

So we need a spydersword made in Toledo.
garret

Post by garret »

It sounds very good that spyderco has a factory in Spain, I think we would be perfectly up to the challenge.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

And i think Spyderco should start up a factory in Eskilstuna :) Once in high regard. I still have a handful of straight razors, Eskilstuna made
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you for the clarifications on this. I like the idea of an Eskilstuna based Spyderco. I once saw this Eskilstuna, Sweden made fixed blade hunting knife, I forget the company, it was not EKA; it had a rubber-type of handle and what appeared to be either a chromium-rich carbon steel or an actual stainless steel blade, from the late 1950s or early to middle 1960s, and a leather sheath. I was told that the edge-holding on it was supreme. I wish I had more details but I would like to see Spyderco make their own version of some Scandinavian folding knives and fixed blades; they did a good start with the puukko.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

EKA, that's a name I haven't heard for a while.
They gave me a new Swing blade knife to test on Buffalo here in Aus which I did.
Then I purchased another "slightly different" one. Turns out they sent ti to China to me made,
Difference in quality was noticeable. Will try to find photos.
Attachments
Eka2.jpg
Eka2.jpg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 962 times
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
kirill.sergueev

Post by kirill.sergueev »

Historically Spain produced the best swords and armor all way up to 18th century. I also heard that bullfighter's swords are made of a very specific and exceptionally high quality steel. But would be this steel good for folding knifes I have no idea.
SpyderEdgeForever

kirill.sergueev wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:56 pm
Historically Spain produced the best swords and armor all way up to 18th century. I also heard that bullfighter's swords are made of a very specific and exceptionally high quality steel. But would be this steel good for folding knifes I have no idea.
Yes. In one documented book on swords and knives of the past I read the author claimed that the traditional swords made in Toledo, Spain, were packed in wooden crates in a bent "U" shape, for compactness, and, when they were finally brought to the stores or whomever would sell them, they were pulled out, and the blades flexed back straight, with no damage or weakness in the steel. I do not know how much of that was real or urban legend, but that sounds cool.

Can you imagine Spyderco making folders with steel like that?
Joey

Post by Joey »

Aren’t most carbon steels flexible as a general rule though? Cold steel for instance has videos where they bend their fixed blades an entire 45 degrees, without any damage to the steel integrity.
kirill.sergueev

Joey wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:46 am
Aren’t most carbon steels flexible as a general rule though? Cold steel for instance has videos where they bend their fixed blades an entire 45 degrees, without any damage to the steel integrity.
Bullfighting sword has to be extremely flexible and not to break if accidentally hits the bone. Same requirement had rapiers back in the time when cold weapon was used to fight with armored subjects. I heard that in Spain they still produce them with original recipe and technology from XVI century. What use it may have in modern folding knife I have no idea.
kirill.sergueev

kirill.sergueev wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:28 pm
Joey wrote:
Bullfighting sword has to be extremely flexible and not to break if accidentally hits the bone. Same requirement had rapiers back in the time when cold weapon was used to fight with armored subjects. I heard that in Spain they still produce them with original recipe and technology from XVI century. How good it can be implemented for Spyderco design remains a mistery
kirill.sergueev

Joey wrote:
Bullfighting sword has to be extremely flexible and not to break if accidentally hits the bone. Same requirement had rapiers back in the time when cold weapon was used to fight with armored subjects. I heard that in Spain they still produce them with original recipe and technology from XVI century. How good it can be implemented for Spyderco design remains a mystery
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:52 pm
Thank you for the clarifications on this. I like the idea of an Eskilstuna based Spyderco. I once saw this Eskilstuna, Sweden made fixed blade hunting knife, I forget the company, it was not EKA; it had a rubber-type of handle and what appeared to be either a chromium-rich carbon steel or an actual stainless steel blade, from the late 1950s or early to middle 1960s, and a leather sheath. I was told that the edge-holding on it was supreme. I wish I had more details but I would like to see Spyderco make their own version of some Scandinavian folding knives and fixed blades; they did a good start with the puukko.
Here's a list of E-tuna knifemakers :) I knew there were many but not THIS many!
http://eskilstunaknivar.se/register/reg ... nivsmeder/
In the summertime you can visit the Rademacher forges, they sell some knives, you an have your knife/straight razor sharpened and they also have some very fine leathercraft.
(Sorry for sidetracking the thread)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.