Taxes on online knife purchase

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brainfriction
Member
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:55 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA, Earth.

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby brainfriction » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Slash wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am
Didn't the government already collect tax on the materials used to make the knife?
I don't think we should be taxed on any goods from a retailer for stuff that tax was already collected on.
Yeah there's a tax on everything it seems. I'm sure the retailer reports it as income, so they pay taxes on that, then the state wants their cut too.

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

Truer words were never spoken!

User avatar
MichaelScott
Member
Posts: 2669
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:42 am
Location: Southern Colorado

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby MichaelScott » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 am

If there were no taxes at all, who would volunteer to help fund necessary services, like health care, roads, schools and so forth? We would all be living in caves and huts again.
What doesn’t kill you will make you stronger. Except infantry. Infantry will kill you.

“Gentlemen, bring out your men.” — T. J. Jackson, Second Manassas, 1862

http://acehotel.blog

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm

Some taxes are necessary. Is it too much to ask that government doesn’t squander the money? And vote themselves special privileges? Get us embroiled in wars in foreign countries? Spend our great grandchildren’s uncollected taxes?
:spyder: AUS8, M4, H1, VG10, 52100, HAP40, REX45, N690Co, CTS-BD1, CRUWEAR, AEB-L, S30V :spyder:

500Nitro
Member
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am
Location: Australia

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby 500Nitro » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm
Some taxes are necessary. Is it too much to ask that government doesn’t squander the money? And vote themselves special privileges? Get us embroiled in wars in foreign countries? Spend our great grandchildren’s uncollected taxes?
Your American, it's what spreading democracy is called! (Joke)

Re taxes, since the move to sales tax, VAT, GST etc, you see them more.
Previously a lot of taxes were at the wholesale level, higher in rate and invisible.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:19 pm

Our foreign policy sucks. And democracy is the devil. A Constitutional Republic, that’s the right stuff. We just need to straighten out our “representatives”.
:spyder: AUS8, M4, H1, VG10, 52100, HAP40, REX45, N690Co, CTS-BD1, CRUWEAR, AEB-L, S30V :spyder:

SF Native
Member
Posts: 1303
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Fairfax, Ca

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby SF Native » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:42 pm

Let’s face it, we were on borrowed time with lack of sales tax charged on internet sales. We could all see this coming for a long time. I pay on everyone else, why not online. I don’t like it anymore than anyone else, but I can move to Oregon if it bugs me enough. It’s the taxes on foreign goods that’s already starting to hurt.

500Nitro
Member
Posts: 703
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:56 am
Location: Australia

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby 500Nitro » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm

SF

"It’s the taxes on foreign goods that’s already starting to hurt."

Like why now ?

Import duties have always been on imported goods.

Or are you talking the latest jump in tariffs ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 24907
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby The Deacon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:14 pm

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 pm
tvenuto wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:42 am
You were always supposed to report online purchases and file the sales tax. No one did this, of course. I mean if you don’t mind paying sales tax (in principle) when you buy locally I’m not sure why you’d mind online. Sales tax is probably the most avoidable tax there is. Obviously it would be nice not to be taxed at all but that’s not too realistic if you want to participate in society.

These 5 states have no sales tax-

Alaska
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon

Just to clarify, if the rules for online sales tax collection are written correctly and applied correctly by the merchants, residents of those states will not be charged any sales tax for online purchases.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

W7H2O
Member
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:54 pm

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby W7H2O » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:45 pm

It was a good run while it lasted. Pretty soon we will say "Hey remember way back when, we didn't pay taxes on our online purchases, now those was the good old days".

SF Native
Member
Posts: 1303
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am
Location: Fairfax, Ca

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby SF Native » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm

500Nitro wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm
Or are you talking the latest jump in tariffs ?
The tariffs. Many of these are not a jump, they are new taxes on the American people. What are they paying for? We are already seeing the effects in some areas of my business. We are a long way from “read my lips, no new taxes”.

User avatar
tvenuto
Member
Posts: 3782
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:16 am
Location: South Baltimore

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby tvenuto » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:14 pm

SF Native wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:22 pm
500Nitro wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:47 pm
Or are you talking the latest jump in tariffs ?
The tariffs. Many of these are not a jump, they are new taxes on the American people. What are they paying for? We are already seeing the effects in some areas of my business. We are a long way from “read my lips, no new taxes”.
Wasn't that line followed, rather famously, by new taxes? No politics.

Philo Beddoe
Member
Posts: 576
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby Philo Beddoe » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:27 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:07 am
If there were no taxes at all, who would volunteer to help fund necessary services, like health care, roads, schools and so forth? We would all be living in caves and huts again.

Don't mind paying taxes for those purposes but its all the wasteful spending, misplaced priorities, and bad management in the federal and state governments that occurs that I have issues with..this is getting borderline political.

States without a state income tax-

Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Texas
Washington
Wyoming

Alaska is the only state with no sales or income tax.

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 8843
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby bearfacedkiller » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 am

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:03 pm
Slash wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:07 am
Didn't the government already collect tax on the materials used to make the knife?
I don't think we should be taxed on any goods from a retailer for stuff that tax was already collected on.
??????

We're talking about sales tax here. With the exception of the states noted above, we pay it for everything that's purchased at the retail level.
We don’t pay taxes on food or clothing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 8843
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby bearfacedkiller » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:11 am

Some dealers are collecting it and some are not. BHQ was one of the first to charge me.

I live five miles away from a tax free state so it is a hot topic here. It is very rural where I live and most of the closest stores to me are in a tax free state. Most folks shop over there but don’t really like to admit it. There are four tire shops, a liquor store and a building supply center as soon as you cross the border. I wonder why?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby Cambertree » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 am

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:03 am
Because Govts are losing out it will be worldwide for every major country soon.
The heyday of lower cost purchasing on line and avoiding taxes is over.
My understanding re Goods and Sales Tax on online purchases going to Australia is the retailer is obliged to collect the 10% tax for the Australian Government if they incur $75K of GST liability in Australian sales per annum. That is, they sell more than $750,000 of goods into Australia p.a.

I discussed this last week with a well known knife retailer, when I noticed the charge. There are some knife retailers that evidently come below this threshold, and it seems to be business as usual with them, i.e. no GST charged unless the order is over $1000AUD, in which case Customs collect the tax before releasing your goods.

User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby standy99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:51 am

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 am
500Nitro wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:03 am
Because Govts are losing out it will be worldwide for every major country soon.
The heyday of lower cost purchasing on line and avoiding taxes is over.
My understanding re Goods and Sales Tax on online purchases going to Australia is the retailer is obliged to collect the 10% tax for the Australian Government if they incur $75K of GST liability in Australian sales per annum. That is, they sell more than $750,000 of goods into Australia p.a.

I discussed this last week with a well known knife retailer, when I noticed the charge. There are some knife retailers that evidently come below this threshold, and it seems to be business as usual with them, i.e. no GST charged unless the order is over $1000AUD, in which case Customs collect the tax before releasing your goods.
Bought a knife from home in Australia from a well known knife retailer in the US and had it shipped to the US and still had to pay Aus 10% GST....
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:06 pm

standy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:51 am
Bought a knife from home in Australia from a well known knife retailer in the US and had it shipped to the US and still had to pay Aus 10% GST....

^^that is wrong right there.
:spyder: AUS8, M4, H1, VG10, 52100, HAP40, REX45, N690Co, CTS-BD1, CRUWEAR, AEB-L, S30V :spyder:

Fresh Eddie Fresh
Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:50 am

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby Fresh Eddie Fresh » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:21 pm

JDWY wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 am
TomAiello wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:11 am
swigert wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:14 am
You got it. Online retailers can collect tax now.
It's a requirement.

Basically, state governments (mostly California, actually) pushed it through so they could collect tax from companies like eBay and Amazon, because they felt that they were losing out on a lot of sales tax revenues that they felt entitled to.
Actually the one that designed and introduced the internet tax bill was senator Mike Enzi here in Wyoming. He's had it in the works for about 3 years now. Not that it did any good, but for the first time in my life I voted for whoever Dem was running against him.
On Ebay, tax was added automatically to a sale I completed going to Wyoming, but I have sold items to people in California and no tax was tacked on.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby Cambertree » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 pm

standy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:51 am
Bought a knife from home in Australia from a well known knife retailer in the US and had it shipped to the US and still had to pay Aus 10% GST....
Hey Standy. You mean like to a US forwarding service that holds your goods then sends them over to you in consolidated parcels? If so, I think there are still provisions to collect Australian GST, but I think the forwarding business becomes the collector.

I didn’t look too much at those details as I don’t use those services.

If not and it was sent to a mate in the US, that’s kind of strange, but I suppose every retail assistant in US knife shops isn’t necessarily gonna be on top of the obscure details of the Aussie tax system, lol.

User avatar
standy99
Member
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
Location: Between Broome and Cairns somewhere

Re: Taxes on online knife purchase

Postby standy99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:03 pm

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 pm
standy99 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:51 am
Bought a knife from home in Australia from a well known knife retailer in the US and had it shipped to the US and still had to pay Aus 10% GST....
Hey Standy. You mean like to a US forwarding service that holds your goods then sends them over to you in consolidated parcels? If so, I think there are still provisions to collect Australian GST, but I think the forwarding business becomes the collector.

I didn’t look too much at those details as I don’t use those services.

If not and it was sent to a mate in the US, that’s kind of strange, but I suppose every retail assistant in US knife shops isn’t necessarily gonna be on top of the obscure details of the Aussie tax system, lol.




Was to a mate. Who shipped it to me

Leatherman LE was $95 US at Knifecenter ( Leatherman does not allow shipping to Australia )and $279 non LE from Leatherman Australia. So didn’t mind a extra bit of tax ;)

Was the LE black and silver
1CC3C346-E724-4C3E-917E-70E206BFF8C9.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronkb, Baron Mind, Bloke, defenestrate, dhowd, Enactive, Google [Bot], I_like_knives, kirilpetkov, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mattysc42, MSN [Bot], Mushroom, Pickmansmodel82, Tgmr05, ugaarguy and 37 guests