Where is my Bow River ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Where is my Bow River ?

Post by zhyla »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:40 am
So, any tips for getting the most out of the 8cr13mov? Sharpening advice, etc?
It’s super easy to sharpen. Similar to 440C and other unexciting stainless steels.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JuPaul wrote:
I'd try reprofiling to 15 degrees per side and only going up to the mediums, and if you strop only do 1-3 passes per side. I think the slightly toothier finish helps the lower edge retention steel maintain slicing aggression.

When I get mine I'm going to try the same apex finish and angle, but I'll probably reprofile it by hand to be closer to 12 degrees per side, then microbevel at 15.
:unicorn
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

My pair of Bow Rivers just landed. These things are super nice-- even more so for the price!

By nice, I don't mean fancy, just very well done. These are basic down-to-earth tools.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:26 pm
JuPaul wrote:
I'd try reprofiling to 15 degrees per side and only going up to the mediums, and if you strop only do 1-3 passes per side. I think the slightly toothier finish helps the lower edge retention steel maintain slicing aggression.

When I get mine I'm going to try the same apex finish and angle, but I'll probably reprofile it by hand to be closer to 12 degrees per side, then microbevel at 15.
Vivi, The Bow River may be a 3-finger grip for your big mitts. In my L/XL (10) hand the handle feels smallish.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:44 pm
Vivi wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Vivi, The Bow River may be a 3-finger grip for your big mitts. In my L/XL (10) hand the handle feels smallish.
I noticed that based on the photos. I'll be handling one in person before I buy, visiting a knife shop next month and planning to pick up a few things. If I find the handle is too small then I'll find another fixed blade to get.
:unicorn
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:49 pm
Enactive wrote:
Vivi wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

I noticed that based on the photos. I'll be handling one in person before I buy, visiting a knife shop next month and planning to pick up a few things. If I find the handle is too small then I'll find another fixed blade to get.
:cool:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Vivi wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Thanks! I'll give that a shot.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Vivi wrote:
Enactive wrote:
Vivi wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Have you been using the Waterway much?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Enactive wrote:
Vivi wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Vivi, please let me know how it fits your hand. There is no way for me to try before I buy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

The smaller handle is probably the main reason for why they didn't sharpen heel of the blade. I think some people will be "choking up" against the edge.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have fairly average, size large glove hands and don't have any issues with the handle size. Individuals with very large hands might, but it's probably fine for most people. While it's clearly a smaller knife, the functional grip area is actually pretty similar to the area behind the choil on the South Fork.

:spyder:
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Received my Bow's last week had one out for a bit but didn't have time to mess with it. Today I took them out for a nice fluff and buff. Flitzed and sharpened all of the knives (4) three of which will be gifted. The knives all came sharp and polished up nicely. Another great design by Phil. Well executed, and with just a few strokes on the Sharpmaker, razor sharp. These somewhat remind be of the Roachbelly which I've had for years, though these are much nicer. The sheath is also well done. Nice knives w/sheath for the price. No doubt selling like hotcakes. Thanks Phil and Spyderco.

Edit to add: as with others, the knives were rounded and not sharpened all the way to the choil. May be a good safety factor for much of the knife public. One of the four knives was actually not real sharp maybe half an inch forward of the choil. That's been remedied.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

All these comparison pics are really making me sad I missed the South Fork! I'm hoping the success of this Bow River will prompt a new series of similar designs in all different sizes - these strike me as incredibly practical blades for everything from the kitchen to the trail. I'm definitely planning to take the Bow River on my chanterelle-hunting trip next weekend.
- Julia

Tdog

Post by Tdog »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:16 pm
All these comparison pics are really making me sad I missed the South Fork! I'm hoping the success of this Bow River will prompt a new series of similar designs in all different sizes - these strike me as incredibly practical blades for everything from the kitchen to the trail. I'm definitely planning to take the Bow River on my chanterelle-hunting trip next weekend.
Should work very well for your purposes. Good luck
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Tdog wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:38 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:16 pm
Should work very well for your purposes. Good luck
Thanks! Looking like ideal conditions all week, wet and not too warm. I'll post pics of the Bow in action if we take a good haul. ;)
- Julia

Nebrasketball

Post by Nebrasketball »

Has anyone attempted a rit dye of the handles yet?
VG-10, H-1, 154-CM, LC200N, S30V, S35VN, S110V, M390, 20CV, CTS B70P, RWL34, AEB-L, N690Co, BD-1, XHP, 8cr13mov, CRUWEAR
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I had a chance to carry the Bow River on a hike yesterday up to Melakwa Lake. Melakwa means mosquito in Chinook, but fortunately we didn't encounter any. At 4500 feet in the Cascades, fall is definitely in the air.
IMAG3528sm.jpg
This is my first Phil Wilson designed knife and my first trailing point blade. I have generally gone for drop point, spearpoint, leaf and wharnie blade shapes, and am curious to see how i like the shape. If i really enjoy the trailing point, it could put me over the edge to buy a Chinook 4. The knife has a really nice feel and a compact heft. It is handle-heavy-- as has been pointed out already-- the balance point is right under the second pin.

At first i didn't think the Spydiehole had any function, but it does in fact provide good traction for thumb/finger tips in choked up or sideways grips.

I didn't really put the knife to use yesterday, but i will have a chance to do that over the long holiday weekend out at our river cabin-- likely only kitchen, camp and fire craft. I am so ready for five days in the woods and on the river.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:49 pm
Here's a family portrait of of my trailing point knives. I am a really big fan of the form.

Also, I am amazed at how thin the Bow River is behind the edge. I measure it at about 0.018 to 0.020 bte. I ran it over the brown SM stones and it has a sticky sharp edge now.

What angle did you use on the Sharpmaker to sharpen the Bow River? 30° or 40°?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:14 pm
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:49 pm
Here's a family portrait of of my trailing point knives. I am a really big fan of the form.

Also, I am amazed at how thin the Bow River is behind the edge. I measure it at about 0.018 to 0.020 bte. I ran it over the brown SM stones and it has a sticky sharp edge now.

What angle did you use on the Sharpmaker to sharpen the Bow River? 30° or 40°?
40 deg, flat side of the brown stones, very light touch.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

I have been very excited by this knife. I just ordered a few!