Where is my Bow River ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
koenigsegg

Re: Where is my Bow River ?

Post by koenigsegg »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:07 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:33 pm
Bow river is very good at many tasks, I hope they do a bd1n version
That would be a home run if the price point stayed reasonable. I bet a Bow River in BD1N would fly off the shelves even if it was double the price of the current version.

BD1N isn't possible with the chinese factory that made this run, is it? I thought I remember Sal posting something along those lines a while back.
I'm not sure about that exactly. Only posted this after reading another thread where Sal was saying he thought the Alcyone would sell a lot better than it is now that they changed it to BD1N and I'm pretty sure that's made in China right? So yeah maybe different factories.. I was just assuming it was possible.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:10 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:07 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:33 pm
Bow river is very good at many tasks, I hope they do a bd1n version
That would be a home run if the price point stayed reasonable. I bet a Bow River in BD1N would fly off the shelves even if it was double the price of the current version.

BD1N isn't possible with the chinese factory that made this run, is it? I thought I remember Sal posting something along those lines a while back.
I'm not sure about that exactly. Only posted this after reading another thread where Sal was saying he thought the Alcyone would sell a lot better than it is now that they changed it to BD1N and I'm pretty sure that's made in China right? So yeah maybe different factories.. I was just assuming it was possible.
I definitely hope it is actually possible. A sprint with bd1n and a new scale color would fly off the shelves...and right to my house, even at twice the price. As it is, though, I really like this little knife.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

koenigsegg wrote:
he thought the Alcyone would sell a lot better than it is now that they changed it to BD1N and I'm pretty sure that's made in China right?
The Alcyone and Polestar are still in BD1 everywhere I look, not BD1N. Did they really change it to BD1N now?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:48 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
he thought the Alcyone would sell a lot better than it is now that they changed it to BD1N and I'm pretty sure that's made in China right?
The Alcyone and Polestar are still in BD1 everywhere I look, not BD1N. Did they really change it to BD1N now?
Oh man you are correct I was skimming and summarized it incorrectly.

I didn't fully read the second post so Sal's statement seemed as though they had already made them and they were selling well.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84587
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:43 pm

I wonder if they will release some with the new sheath.. either way I kind of want a second it's so tempting at this price point. I think I'm going to hold off and see if they have them at the seconds sale
Sorry I must have missed this - but what is the story on the "new" sheath? Is there a second release with a different sheath coming out? Thanks for any info :-)
~andrew
Nate

Post by Nate »

toocool006 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:52 pm
Sorry I must have missed this - but what is the story on the "new" sheath? Is there a second release with a different sheath coming out? Thanks for any info :-)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84774&sid=ba0b9263e ... 51ed229b49

Definitely need to get an ambi sheath for mine.
:spyder:
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Nate wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:56 pm
toocool006 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84774&sid=ba0b9263e ... 51ed229b49

Definitely need to get an ambi sheath for mine.

Awesome thanks so much Nate! Does anyone know if they're planning to bundle with the Bow River at some point, or only sold as a standalone?
~andrew
Nate

Post by Nate »

No problem!

I'm guessing the latter, but really don't know for sure. My 2nd was shipped today, so it'll be the standalone route for me either way. :)
:spyder:
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Mine arrived yesterday. Darn nice is all I can say.

I am amazed that they can sell the sheath for the price and make money! And you get a knife to go with it!!!

This is a Phil Wilson design, and all I can say is that he knows how to design a knife that feels right in the hand. Mine feels like the weight is in the handle so that it just "sits nicely" in my hand. I think it will be a pleasure to use, but these are just first impressions.

I have a couple of small fixed blades, and I have to say that I get the most actual use out of my small fixed blades. Like my mules that I use for all kinds of things. The crew in China did a nice job sharpening this one. They should give lessons to the guys in Japan.

I will post later with comparisons between this and the Ankerson/Sanders Bowie that came in the same package. :cool:
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Mine came yesterday. Its nice, and for the price is very nice. There are some areas that are not sanded that well, but that is an easy fix.
Sheath is like two levels above this price range, you could use it with some handmade knife and noone will complain.
So I was using Bow river for this day, cutting veggies and ham for pizza and just using it on everything. I whittled some wood and it did just fine. Cant tell much about steel performace, but I was suprised how quickly can it take that raw edge from my medium ceramic stone. Like, if you buy Bow river and one sharpmaker medium rod, you are good to go for a long trip in the woods.
I was a bit sceptic about trailing point knife, but I quite like it.

Oh yeah, just my thought. I think that one or two batches of Southfork made in China from 8cr would make a killer bigger brother of Bow river.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Today morning I was on a walk with my dog and I found some mushrooms . And no, I did not pick that Amanita muscaria.

Later I did some sharpening and I get rid of that unsharpened spot. Yes, I am a madman but it really drove me crazy. Time will tell how many times I will cut myself :D
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:15 am
Today morning I was on a walk with my dog and I found some mushrooms . And no, I did not pick that Amanita muscaria.

Not unless you want to have a very crazy day! ;) Seriously, though, the Bow River is an awesome mushroom knife. Used it for collecting chanterelles just last weekend.
- Julia

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:15 am
[mg]https://i.imgur.com/g0cfpL3.jpg[/mg]
Great find!!! As odd as it sounds, that would be like finding a "grail" for me!
They seem to be pretty rare here in the northeast, at least ive never found one! (And trust me, ive looked ;))
I just need to take a trip to the northwest... no pun intended! :p
-Nick :bug-red
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Got mine today. The blade is lovely. Really nice in hand. I don’t usually buy fixed blades but glad I made an exception.

The sheath is nice but it’s tricky getting the knife out of the sheath. Not a lot of handle sticking out. I guess I’m spoiled with how convenient folders are to deploy. Despite this the sheath seems to be of surprising quality.

Mine is about 0.025" behind the edge. Slightly more than my Chaparral, which I consider quite good in the slicing department. The bevel is a little uneven if you really stare at it but not too bad. The bevels on the spine are a super nice touch. The whole thing seems really well designed.

Staring at the scales I'm surprised to discover these are hand-made rather than CNC. Nothing really out of place but you can definitely tell the scales are slightly asymmetrical in places. I don't really care about hand-made vs CNC, just thought it was interesting that at this point some actual human is hand-shaping scales on these knives.

I have to say I'm surprised at this knife. It's the first Spyderco in a long time that I think feels underpriced.

The only thing I really don't care for, and it's 100% subjective, is the gray stripes in the G-10. I'd rather have just plain black or some other color. The stripes just bug. But you can't please everyone! I wonder if they would dye well?
Last edited by zhyla on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Double post.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Mine arrived Yesterday and I can't put it out my hands. Its so nice, compact, agile. Fit and finish is very, very good. Its a keeper. Edge is thin around 0,4mm, smooth G10, no sharp corners. Phil Wilson is the man. Great design and great execution Spyderco. Thank You for this knife. It was worth the wait.
sandalian

Post by sandalian »

Been lurking this forum for years and now decided to sign up after purchased Bow River from local dealer.
Honestly I was interested with its affordable price point at the first time. After reading more, the designer name gives me more reason to purchase.

Update 2019/10/18
Got mine yesterday, it's a great little knife and I'm glad I can get one.

There's a number printed on it and it makes me wonder how many blades are produced on the first batch.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Do you know what would be cool?

This Phil' s design in some affordable price. Photo from Ankerson.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

sandalian wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:42 am

There's a number printed on it and it makes me wonder how many blades are produced on the first batch.

That number is a collector's club ID number and has nothing to do with how many were made. Spyderco did not tell us how many of the Bow River were made.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:02 pm
Do you know what would be cool?

This Phil' s design in some affordable price. Photo from Ankerson.
Yes! I mentioned in the Cruwear/micarta thread that I'd love to see that combo on this knife. Plenty of other more affordable combos would suit me, too.
- Julia