Wish we heard from Eric more on the forum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnickKnackCity

Wish we heard from Eric more on the forum

Post by KnickKnackCity »

With Sal keeping tally on summers and Golden nearing the transition of the company to Eric's full control (Speculation.) I often wonder what the future of Spyderco will look like. From every interview I have seen and read from Eric, it is evident that the almost sage-like wisdom and experience from Sal & Gail have shaped this mans presence in this industry. He is very well spoken, possess an ocean of broad and subject matter expertise, and communicates in an informative yet personal manner. (Apples, falling, trees, etc..)

I'm not stating anything you all don't know when I talk about how valuable of a resource it is to have access to the one at the top. Not only product specific questions or suggestions, but theory and philosophy behind their processes.

The last time Eric posted was 2016 but from interviews I know he frequents the forums to make sure he has his finger on the pulse. I hope he will start chiming in more so we can get to know him as we have Sal. Plus all the valuable :spyder: info! :)
sal

Re: Wish we heard from Eric more on the forum

Post by sal »

Hi KnickKnackCity,

If the truth be known, Eric has been handling the company for some time now.

sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I have wondered about this too and have various theories.

It sounds like Eric is busy and making the things we enjoy; Sal is sort of "retired" and enjoys hanging out with us now that he has so much time on his hands. :-)
archangel

Post by archangel »

Sal or Eric, whoever finds the time to chime in on here is highly appreciated! I don't really know any other company running their own forum and actually participating in it - not the "founding & operating fathers". This is pretty awesome. After all, they still have a company to run!

I couln't be happier about this particular aspect of this great forum.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:33 pm
Hi KnickKnackCity,

If the truth be known, Eric has been handling the company for some time now.

sal
Hello Sal,

I had suspected but wasn't certain. Thats great. You deserve to kick back and run the fun things like the Children's Hospital raffles. Spyderco has had a big year, lots of new innovative designs and old favorites revived to make everyone happy. Eric should be proud of what the he and the team accomplished. Doesn't look like its slowing down any either.
He is such an accomplished designer (Manix & Dodo just to name a couple) I would love to hear him talk about the models and let us know whats in the works.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 pm
It sounds like Eric is busy and making the things we enjoy; Sal is sort of "retired" and enjoys hanging out with us now that he has so much time on his hands. :-)
Quick derail: The crazy thing about it is that Sal has been an active participant in this and about a dozen other forums over the last 20 years WHILE his company has been putting out hundreds of high quality designs (with a ton of icons in there.) Oh yeah, this is while running a sailboat plant along with numerous other companies along the way. The fact that for the history of the forum he has always taken the time to welcome someone new is mind-boggling!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I wouldn't want to have to follow Sal as the face of the company on the forums. It wouldn't be possible for anyone no matter how intelligent and dedicated they are. A generation has had Sal to ask questions of, solve problems for and try to talk into various knife combinations. A generation has been spoiled by having access to the boss. Definitely a tough act to follow.

I still haven't been able to figure out if Eric is a steel knut also, or if he just tolerates us. :)

So many unknowns. :confused: :D

Joe
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I always figured Eric didn't have time to chat. Obviously I'd love to see his input here, but I'm happy he's keeping the knives flowing.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Whenever he wants to chime in is fine with me. I'm happy to have any communication from Sal or Eric :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:02 am

I still haven't been able to figure out if Eric is a steel knut also, or if he just tolerates us. :)

So many unknowns. :confused: :D

Joe
I've wondered the exact same thing Joe.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I’m happy to let the man’s work speak for him. Not everyone has the capacity or desire to interact with customers via every possible channel. He makes himself available periodically via trade shows, and will certainly speak with you should you care to seek him out.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Sal,

I hope you live to be 100 years old buddy! I'm sure your kid is a great guy and will do amazing things with the company...but truth be told, all of my favorite knives are your designs. Military, Shaman, Manbug. Classic designs that will be around for decades to come.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Sal has got to be one of the most charismatic people I've ever met in the few times I've had the chance to speak with him.
It's amazing to think that a company of Spyderco's size maintains such a close connection to their customers and fan-base.
With Sal handing over the reins to Eric, I'd imagine he has his work cut out for him (pun intended) and will be pretty busy these days!

We all have our ways of communicating and perhaps the forum just isn't the right vessel of communication for Eric.
But it would be nice to hear him chime in from time to time; love talking to him at the meets :)
In the meantime, just seeing Sal respond to threads at random and welcoming new members keeps bringing a smile to my face.
If it were up to me, we would see that avatar of his pop up for decades to come!
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Another possibility is that Eric posts with a fake account and you may have him on ignore. :D
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

shunsui wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:39 pm
Another possibility is that Eric posts with a fake account and you may have him on ignore. :D
That had me actually laugh out loud, sitting alone in a room :) I tip my hat!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

yeah I kind of wish Eric played a bigger part here on the Forum too. Other than the Poliwog I just love about every design he ever came up with. His DODO design is one of my all time Spyder-Favorites>> I've been trying to get him to design a bigger scale version of the Dodo. I've met him at a couple of the BLADE shows and he is a great guy to chat with. But in his defense I bet his job at the Great Spyder Factory is a very demanding one indeed.

Yeah I think there should even be a section on the Forum solely devoted to his designs :cool:
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

All I can say is that while I have never met them I love these guys and their company. Thank you, Sal and Eric and everyone else at Spyderco!
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

When I talked to Eric at 2018 Blade Show in June, he told me that he does lurk.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I would imagine Eric far, far, too busy to be on the forum much.