What was your first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: What was your first Spyderco?

Post by MichaelScott »

Maybe it was the Tenacious or perhaps a Delica . Just can’t remember.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
cwp

Post by cwp »

Aluminum-handled Civilian. Bought it in 1996-97, probably? I don't remember exactly, but it was sometime in that era.

I still have it, although for obvious reasons it's one of my more infrequently carried knives.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

1st generation serrated Delica in AUS8 sometime in the early 90s. Its teeth will make a dentist weep but it still comes out every now and then for some fresh air and to tell the newer models ‘bout the good old days. Its the grizzled, belligerent vet in my collection. The gen 1 plain edge Endura that followed it didn’t have nearly as rough a life.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Native FRN with amazing hollow grind and swedge and not a boring flat grind lol
Spydercos.jpg
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

440C spyderfly in 2004-2005. Wouldn't buy another spyderco until 2009. Then came the delica 4 SS and my membership to the forums.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine was an aluminum Peter Herbst. First ever liner lock for me, so almost totally disappointing in that it was wrong handed and the right side was unattractive, but the Spyderhole convinced me to keep trying. An S30V FRN Native was the first one I liked and a jigged bone Kiwi was first one I loved.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

Native 5 LW in S110V steel.
spyderco-c41pdbl5-cm.jpg
juggler

Post by juggler »

I bought two at the same time: a Centofante 3 and a SS Jester.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

DLC Tenacious, it's our most used knife at home because it's in the kitchen "stuff" drawer. We use it a few times a day to cut all sorts of things, open packages, cut up boxes for recycling. Honestly, it's all the knife I would every really need...but what's the fun of that! Most days I carry the 204 Mili, but I recently switched to the Shaman to "try it out for a while". The Shaman has not left my side since. I think I have a knife addiction. Specifically, a Spyderco knife addiction.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Before Spyderco I was really into black coated, plain edge knives. Most of my purchases were Benchmade, MOD & Microtech. When I saw this model I had to have it. After holding it in hand, I was hooked. Haven't looked back since.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Hill82

Post by Hill82 »

A CF Chaparral in May 2018 - 16 or 17 since then. I really don't have a problem. ;)
CF CTS-XHP Chaparral (my gateway Spydie), Blurple CPM-S110V Para 3, Natural DLC CPM-M4 Para 3, Blue M390 Para 3, Dark Grey MAXAMET Para 3, Red TiCN HAP40/SUS410 Delica 4, CF 52100 Para 3, Burnt Orange CPM REX-45 Para 3, CF CPM-S90V Para 3, Brown CPM-S35V Para 3, Red CPM-4V Para 3, Black G-10 CPM-S35V Native 5, Blue Gray Aogami Superblue Calypso Jr., Black FRN CPM-S30V Native 5, Orange FRN CPM-S90V Native 5, Gray CPM-S90V 2018 Forum Para-Military 2 , Black Corian VG-10 PlainEdge Cooks, Black Corian VG-10 SpyderEdge Cooks, Black Corian VG-10 PlainEdge Chefs
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Dingo wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:44 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:51 am
Dingo wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:27 am
Bushcraft g10
That’s a helluva entrance!
She’s old and battered now
Marvelous, just like it should be.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Jade M4 Paramilitary 2

I held off for over a year waiting on this one to come out, it was a feeding frenzy and sold out in less than an hour. I'm glad that I decided to grab 2 at the time. Definitely my most carried Spydie to date.

Last edited by Airlsee on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

I got my first while deployed in Iraq in 2009. It was a gift from a group of guys I worked with alot. Delica4, saber grind combo edge, black with black dlc. I did things with this knife that I never thought possible out of a blade. I was 100 percent sold on Spyderco after that. I had a scare in 2014 and thought I had lost it and came to the realization that I needed to officially retire it. I put a pm2 digi camo on order and 100 other models since then. With that being said..if I ever had to pick one and bet my life on it. My original delica 4 all the way!
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

The original PE military in cpm-440v. Late 90's, if I'm,not mistaken. I gave up trying to sharpen it.
Hangfire

Post by Hangfire »

Spyderco Endura #1.jpg
I wanna say early to mid 90's Endura with the red trim... I bought 4 of them... this was the first, I used and lost the second and I still have three and four in their boxes! :)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

My first product from from Spyderco has been a Sharpmaker, it was in the gone century. Some years later followed a Delica CF Sprint Run or a Military, I can't remember. All three are still in my property and meanwhile the Sharpmaker is well used.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Joey

Post by Joey »

My first Spyderco was a Pacific Salt with a hollow grind. It was given to me as a wedding gift in 2017. I was a few years into knife collecting (on a much smaller scale than I am today), and always saw the round hole as more of a gimmicky trendy thing, rather than a useful design. Didn’t touch it for months (too afraid to scratch the H1 further than it was when I got it). I then get bored one day, and allowed Nutnfancy to unknowingly talk me into buying a Manix 2 LW which didn’t leave my side for a few months.
Blade HQ soon after commissioned the natural G10 Para 3 and I fell hard, spiraling helplessly into a Spyderco coma...
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

It all started, October '16, with a Persistence. Just to see what the deal was with these odd looking knives. After dipping my toe in the water, so to speak, I now carry a snorkel! :rolleyes: I have thirteen now plus five byrds. :D
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

Police about 14 years ago.