BBS Still An Issue?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Captain_Slippery

BBS Still An Issue?

Post by Captain_Slippery »

In short, I really want to get my hands on a Para3 in M390. After doing some research is sounds like some of the knives ship in bad shape. Luckily I live in Golden so getting anything fixed is no problem, but is it worth the risk ordering from BBS? I would love to hear what everyone has to say about them. Thank you in advance!
BigGrove

Re: BBS Still An Issue?

Post by BigGrove »

If I were to order from that retailer and had an issue that they refused to resolve to my satisfaction, I would be on the phone to my credit card issuer. You will get a favorable outcome every time.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I wonder if you asked them if they would visually inspect the knife before sending it, that might help. I think if there's a problem with the knife you will have to let SFO check it and they will give you credit or something if they can't fix it. BBS does not accept returns and Golden doesn't have replacements so it's kind of a gamble. Good luck
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've ordered from BBS a couple times without a problem. They're not one of my preferred dealers but I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again if they had something I could only buy from them.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've ordered 2 knives from them the past few months and had no problems at all. That M390 Para 3 is well worth it!
xRai1Ahh.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

It was many years ago but I ordered from them with no issues. Obviously, if the knife arrives in great shape, there's no need to worry about how good their customer service is (which is the concern with them, it seems).
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I've bought from them more than 5 occasions, A+ in my book
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be more concerned with with their customer service and return policy, since overall quality of the knife is really Spyderco's responsibility since bad knives shouldn't leave the factory.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Not a fan of their higher prices, but I've luckily been most pleased with the BBS M390 Para 3.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Double post.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

One thing with BBS, you know with 100% certainty that you are not getting a returned knife.
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

My Para3 M390 from BBS came perfect (got the Maxamet manix /Para3 combo) and transaction was smooth with no issues!

James
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I guess you kind of know the answer here. You have to roll the dice. Order the m390 para 3 and hope that it’s a good one because you won’t be able to return it if it’s got a problem. If it does have an issue you can’t live with you could try selling it.

You’re going to get a lot of people on here saying they have never had an issue, myself included (5 orders from them), but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. Fortunately Spyderco has excellent quality control so I bet your knife would arrive in perfect condition.

So the question goes to you. Are you feeling lucky?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
timlara

Post by timlara »

Yep, LC nailed it.

I have ordered 3-4 knives from BBS and never had any issues personally, but certainly compared to most of the other popular online dealers, their pricing and customer service policies are not competitive.

They kind of operate in that grey area between an eBay seller and a full-fledged dealer in my opinion, as they know that they stock hard to get / exclusive items and choose to charge a premium for them, because they can. Like most private eBay sellers, BBS doesn't accept returns (I don't either when I'm selling on eBay), so i feel like part of it may just be that they're basically a guy operating out of his garage as a side-business...Nothing wrong with that, and at least they're up front about their policies, but you just have to agree to the risk going in, just like you would with an eBay purchase.
Tim
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:01 am
I've ordered from BBS a couple times without a problem. They're not one of my preferred dealers but I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again if they had something I could only buy from them.
Ditto.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

My biggest issue with them is the high shipping cost. Asking almost 70 dollar to ship a knife international is just criminal. And if it gets lost in transport tough luck. I really want that Blue Para 3, but not on these conditions. This is not a store to promote your brand with in my opinion.
I'm also amazed at how much people are paying for these M390 Para 3's on the secondary market while it's not even sold out.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

timlara wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:15 am
Like most private eBay sellers, BBS doesn't accept returns (I don't either when I'm selling on eBay), so i feel like part of it may just be that they're basically a guy operating out of his garage as a side-business...Nothing wrong with that, and at least they're up front about their policies, but you just have to agree to the risk going in, just like you would with an eBay purchase.
Not accepting returns doesn’t mean squat. eBay has the buyer’s protection, PayPal has purchase protection, credit card has purchase protection. If a buyer wants their money back, they’ll get it.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

BigGrove wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:19 pm
timlara wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:15 am
Like most private eBay sellers, BBS doesn't accept returns (I don't either when I'm selling on eBay), so i feel like part of it may just be that they're basically a guy operating out of his garage as a side-business...Nothing wrong with that, and at least they're up front about their policies, but you just have to agree to the risk going in, just like you would with an eBay purchase.

Not accepting returns doesn’t mean squat. eBay has the buyer’s protection, PayPal has purchase protection, credit card has purchase protection. If a buyer wants their money back, they’ll get it.
That’s true. However, I’ve walked away from my full BBS basket several times just for getting the feeling that they reallydon’t want my business.

Their choice, my choice, plenty of others (both ways), no problem.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've ordered 3 knives including M390 Para3. other than the usual gripes, high price, no free shipping. It was a pleasant experience, the knives arrived promptly and in good order.

I'm actually a rare fan of the no return policy, as I like my new knives new, and not previously played around with by someone who likes to try a knife 'in hand' before they buy. Who then decides they don't like it and sends it back to be resold as 'new' (A risk you take when buying from a store that takes returns). Im not above buying 'display models' or previously opened merchandise, but I expect a discount.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Ric

Post by Ric »

Order 2 with some month apart.
Everything was fine.

Pricey but worth it.
Nice action, color and perfect steel.