SPYDEREDGED Sprint Runs: It's Way Past Time

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: SPYDEREDGED Sprint Runs: It's Way Past Time

Post by JD Spydo »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:24 pm
JD, do you ever think there would be a practical application for spyderedge on the C104 Kris? Before tonight I never knew this was a self defense blade shape, the profile is so extreme they describe the cutting edge as giant serrations.
C104_M.jpg
It's just like I told our good Spyder Brother "Tvenuto" that answer is an emphatic absolute YES!!! EVIL D and I both have been screaming loudly for a Recurve blade in SE for quite some time. And why not the KRIS model in Spyderedge? It's another old-school Spyder that many newcomers would welcome to their growing collections.

It's already been proven that Spyderedged blades with any curved designs always excel in rough cutting jobs. Hey "KKC" just get yourself one of Spyderco's great Spyderedged Hawkbills and you'll immediately see what I mean.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

OH another item of interest I would like to mention>> Being that Spyderco has so many small/short bladed folders that so many people like. I'm truly wishing that they would also do a lot of Spyderedged Sprint Runs in the short bladed models. The Dodo in SE in my opinion was one of Spyderco's best SE models. Even the TOAD model took on a better performance in SE.

I've had so many people rave to me how great the Caly Jr. is in SE. Get the hint :)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Okay, someone tell me more about this Spyderhawk 52100 SE. Is this a thing? Can it be a thing? Please, can it be a thing!? I need this in my life. :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 pm
Okay, someone tell me more about this Spyderhawk 52100 SE. Is this a thing? Can it be a thing? Please, can it be a thing!? I need this in my life. :D
All I can say is that I would absolutely love a Spyderhawk Sprint Run irrespective of which steel they would use. But if they chose the 52100 in SE I would be in line to get one.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 pm
All I can say is that I would absolutely love a Spyderhawk Sprint Run irrespective of which steel they would use. But if they chose the 52100 in SE I would be in line to get one.
I'd be completely content with vg10. :o
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

There are a lot models we’ve mentioned here that would be great performers in SE. But at the end of the day there are only two that I would definitely buy without hesitation. An Ayoob & an SE Millie. The millie I’d buy a couple of!

j
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jezabel wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:01 am
There are a lot models we’ve mentioned here that would be great performers in SE. But at the end of the day there are only two that I would definitely buy without hesitation. An Ayoob & an SE Millie. The millie I’d buy a couple of!

j
Two models I most definitely can't argue with you about. I want to see a new Sprint Run C-60 Ayoob in SE & PE both. The only problem I've got with the Ayoob is that I wish it were a Golden made model. But I can live with it being a Japan made model. But like many of you I don't want to see the C-60 die either. And they should have never quit making the C-36 Military in SE. I think people have missed it more than most discontinued models.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

JD,

As SE enthusiast, have you tried 8Cr13MoV? The byrd hawkbill is impressive! ;)
(While waiting for the sprint run to come)
Chris :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

anagarika wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:28 am
JD,

For a lot of personal reasons I've pretty much avoided the Byrd line of knives. However I've been extremely tempted at times to cave in and get a Crossbill model. I do like the blade radius/angle which reminds me a lot of the discontinued SUPERHAWK model. And you may be on to something because as I've said in the past there are a few blade steels that are not the greatest for plain edges but yet they do well in Spyderedges. A few examples that immediately come to mind are ATS-55, AUS-8, 440V, and even the older GIN-1. It's interesting because I've had a couple of guys tell me that the "8Cr13MoV" you speak of reminds them of the older GIN-1 that Spyderco used in many of their very first models. And at Spyderco's inception the GIN-1 was the steel they used the most during their early years.

I might just cave in and go ahead and get a Byrd Crossbill in SE. The more I think about it I would like to see how 8Cr13MoV performs in SE.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

anagarika wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:28 am
JD,

Although these are not hawkbill I do agree they are pretty impressive! Purchased as Christmas gifts to give to family members to keep in their automobiles and after working some paracord to put with them I decided to get one for myself just to beat up on and it hasn't disappointed.
Actually dulled the 1st couple serrations doing pull cuts on small limbs in the yard, broke out the SM for a few passes and in minutes it was back to razor sharp. Not bad!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:12 am

....in minutes it was back to razor sharp. Not bad!
Aren’t they impressive! I even can say response to touch up is better than my H1 Atlantic Salt SE :spyder:
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 am
.....The more I think about it I would like to see how 8Cr13MoV performs in SE.
I think you should really try. I didn’t like Crossbill pointy hump when the blade is closed, that’s why tried Hawkbill. It’s also lightweight being FRN.
Chris :spyder:
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

anagarika wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:36 am
I even can say response to touch up is better than my H1 Atlantic Salt SE :spyder:
I would have to agree with this, in my limited experience.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

One more vote for an Ayoob in SE, the pull cutting power of that would be amazing!
It might look a bit aggressive, but the EDC potential of that blade is something else.

It would have to have a G10 handle though, I really don't like slippery SS handles.
I'm not really worried what steel it would come it, S30V would be fine. K390 would be awesome lol.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

CanaBrit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:22 am
One more vote for an Ayoob in SE, the pull cutting power of that would be amazing!
It might look a bit aggressive, but the EDC potential of that blade is something else.

It would have to have a G10 handle though, I really don't like slippery SS handles.
I'm not really worried what steel it would come it, S30V would be fine. K390 would be awesome lol.
This is truly a "Slam Dunk" and a "No-Brainer">> the good folks at the Great Spyder Factory truly need to consider resurrecting the C-60 Ayoob in Spyderedge. I know I've been told that Massad Ayoob himself didn't like his design being made in SE>> but with all due respect Spyderco is who put the serrated blade at a completely higher level and made them extremely useful.

With that said there are just so many folks who are literally craving a new SE C-60 Ayoob model. Actually If I were Mr. Ayoob I would be honored that so many people like his knife design and I could care less which edge type they would like the best>> and again I say that with complete respect for Mr. Massad Ayoob. I'm also hoping that he will someday come out with another great folder for Spyderco to make.

But for now we need a Sprint Run Ayoob and in SE & PE both