Proposal: A Contoured Scale Series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Proposal: A Contoured Scale Series

Post by tvenuto »

What I propose:

A line of knives, similar to the sage series, where the feature is a more contoured and rounded handle. The similarity that will tie the series together will be the overall size and ergos, I'm thinking around 3.5", which seems to be a bit of a void in Spyderco's current offerings.

Why a series? Because they could utilize a few lock styles, obviously the BBL works (worked on the D'allara), as does a back lock (worked on the bolstered caly, kopa, etc) and liner lock (worked on the Hungarian, valotton, etc). The different locks ensure that people who have a lock preference can get a very nicely contoured handle.

Why do I think this is important?

Often the contoured handles are attached to other polarizing factors: the size of the shaman, the form factor of various "ethnic" designs like the hungarian. We lack a good, basic, middle of the road knife with very well contoured handles.

The original D'allara, if you've ever held it, epitomizes what is meant by a "folding fixed blade." It truly melts into your hand. Now, it doesn't carry small as a result, and I know that is why the most recently discontinued D'allara received the standard slab-sided treatment. This, in my humble opinion, was a mistake. I think that steps could be taken to increase the "carryablility" without completely eliminating the main unique feature of the D'allara.

So again, I think a well contoured design in a relatively neutral form factor in a middle-of the road size is a good idea. I previously proposed it as "the D'allara series" because the D'allara name doesn't deserve to fade quietly away. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Last edited by tvenuto on Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: Proposal: The D'allara Series

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I agree with this and think you are right.
p_atrick

Re: Proposal: The D'allara Series

Post by p_atrick »

Would you be opposed to the D'Allara name being kept around in some way or another? For example, the next forum knife is the D'Allara. It may not be a mainstay of the Spyderco lineup, but if it can make an appearance here and there, would that be okay? I think the idea behind the knife is great, and I applaud Spyderco for making it.
tvenuto

Re: Proposal: A Contoured Scale Series

Post by tvenuto »

Ok, so I realized that my thread title confused the real issue. The D'allara name was merely a suggested name for the series. The idea is a series of knives with a contoured handle, which corrects the issue of contoured handles almost universally being attached to niche designs.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would do it.
Would also do a contoured chaparall.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If you like contoured scales and dont have the fluted cf native 5 yet.... you should get one :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

It's a interesting idea! Might be a bigger success if you added 'ergo' after the model name and applied it to several existing models? Ie the Para 3 ERGO, Manix 2 ERGO etc.
Re the D'Allara (the newest one) the deal breaker for me was the slabsides and lack of purchase for the lock. Had it been one of the two it wouldn't have held me back, but being as it is with so many great offerings, a model can't afford to stumble on the finish line for me..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm on board but the last conversation I had with Sal about this ended with him saying the majority of customers want flat wafer thin handles. Unfortunately the "thicc" trend hasn't made its way to knives yet.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Reviewers tend to really roast thick knives. But I think thick in the hand can make up for thick in the pocket.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It is too bad that people seem to care more about how a knife feels in the pocket than they do how it feels in the hand.

Take the Lionspy for example. The handle is nice and hand filling but it is a pocket hog. I would carry it all the time if it wasn’t on the extreme end of the sharpened prybar spectrum. The handle is great.

A contoured Military with thick scales like the Shaman would probably be the most ergonomically perfect folder I have ever held.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How about just contour the edges, like the Shaman? About the 3.5" - way too many of those already. 3" for me.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:42 am
How about just contour the edges, like the Shaman? About the 3.5" - way too many of those already. 3" for me.
Exactly my point. The Shaman is a great example of a contoured design, but you need to also want a relatively large folder.
bearfacedkiller wrote: It is too bad that people seem to care more about how a knife feels in the pocket than they do how it feels in the hand.

Take the Lionspy for example. The handle is nice and hand filling but it is a pocket hog. I would carry it all the time if it wasn’t on the extreme end of the sharpened prybar spectrum. The handle is great.

A contoured Military with thick scales like the Shaman would probably be the most ergonomically perfect folder I have ever held.
Again, exactly my point. Great contoured handle, but sharpened prybar and extreme upswept tip make it a no-go.

These contoured handles keep getting attached to other more extreme features. That's why I'm suggesting a basic series, like the Sage, which would appeal to a broader audience.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Totally agree and this is why I upgraded the scales of my PM2s. These customs are thicker than stock and feature a gentle contoured 3D curve. Absolutely elevates the comfort and feel of the PM2 in hand. I've done the same to my Military.
kvdo

Post by kvdo »

I'd really love more contoured scales on spydercos, even just contoured edges. A lot of spydercos that are considered ergonomic end up very uncomfortable for me due to my smaller hands making those sharp corners a lot more noticeable.

Contoured edge PM2 I did a while back - not the prettiest job, but miles above a stock PM2 for in-hand-feel.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The thing with contouring is, it doesn't have to be a brick to be rounded and contoured. Look at the Strider Concealed Carry handles, they're still pretty thin overall but the difference in hand is significant. Though I also don't mind a little added thickness too, I think people obsess way too much over it, when the thickest part only needs to be the center of the scales and it only needs to be maybe 1/16 thicker on either side at most to allow for a decent radius on the scales. It's not like every knife has to be as thick as a Vallotton to be contoured.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mattman

Post by mattman »

I'm tired of waiting for Golden to do it.

I'll be setting up an order for some of the Aramis scales this coming week.

I don't know what exactly they are waiting for... Where's the Ti Paras? Is it *that* popular, they don't feel the need to offer a factory setup? Put out a Ti Para 2 with scales slightly contoured like the Bowie, and I'll be first in line. (Of course, then I would stop buying knives...🤔 )
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

I have to agree re contoured scales.
I think that Spyderco could be in a winner if they offered the option of contoured scales.
The only fault that I can find with Spyderco folders is that they aren't that comfortable to hold compared to some of my other knives that do have scales designed for the hand.
Sal, your customers would like contoured scales.
Please.
Subject of England, The UK, Earth.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Of course, Spydercos are very ergonomic already, and a bit more smoothing and rounding would make them feel a lot better... but it will raise the cost and we'll all whine about that.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Not all of us. Those that want low cost and slab sides have many options. I’m not proposing adding contouring/radii to existing designs, but rather adding a line where contouring is the distinguishing feature, and not merely just one feature among other polarizing/unique features.
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

Mako109 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:07 am
Totally agree and this is why I upgraded the scales of my PM2s. These customs are thicker than stock and feature a gentle contoured 3D curve. Absolutely elevates the comfort and feel of the PM2 in hand. I've done the same to my Military.
Those scales are made by Aramis from ebay right? Curious how you like the fit and finish? Clearly they must be nice if you have multiple sets. The only think I don't like about them is that the added thickness kinda messes with the fitment/appearance of the lanyard tube.

I am between these and the Allen Putnam G10/micarta grips, but the Aramis look quite a bit more contoured which is nice.