Spydercos with Micarta scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
M4Life

Spydercos with Micarta scales?

Post by M4Life »

Hey guys does anybody else think it would be cool if Spyderco made some models with micarta scales in the future?

(If this is already a thing and I’m just forgetting a model, then my bad)
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
Demon85z

Re: Spydercos with Micarta scales?

Post by Demon85z »

M4Life wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:26 pm
Hey guys does anybody else think it would be cool if Spyderco made some models with micarta scales in the future?

(If this is already a thing and I’m just forgetting a model, then my bad)
I love micarta, more so than g10. Off hand the only knife I have and know of is the temperance 2 fixed blade.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

The lum tanto fixed blades were micarta.

Sal has stated that they have had issues with dimensional stability with micarta when it ends up in different climates. They are unlikely to make anything, in spite of the frequent requests.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd buy a lot more Spyderco fixed blades if they used micarta. Feels much better in the hand than bi-directional FRN IMO.

Probably would raise the cost a significant amount though. FRN can be molded directly to the knife. Micarta needs contouring to match up well.
:unicorn
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

tvenuto wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Sal has stated that they have had issues with dimensional stability with micarta when it ends up in different climates. They are unlikely to make anything, in spite of the frequent requests.
IIRC, Sal said that was specifically an issue with liner locks and that back locks are less affected by it. IIRC he also said that knives with metal liners on both sides are more resistant to the dimensional shifts in Micarta from humidity. Sal has also said that he wants a Shaman in Micarta and S90V, and has hinted that at least one distributor may make that happen as an exclusive.

IIRC, the Calypso and Calypso Jr from the late 90's didn't have any issues with their Micarta scales.

Last, Buck just released modernized versions of their 110 and 112. The S30V blade pro variants are available with black G10 scales and two colors of Micarta. The Benchmade Proper has been out for a while now with at least one Micarta scale option. It seems to me that Micarta is having a resurgence in popularity as a knife handle material, so I'm hopeful that we'll see at least one model from Spyderco with such scales.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

tvenuto wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:15 pm

They are testing the material again now for a possible Cruwear Shaman with Micarta handles. According to Sal the dimensional stability is less of a concern if the knife has full steel liners. We will have to wait and see if these tests are positive.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Keep in mind that the issues might be invisible to the ELU and may take the form of higher QC reject rates.

I’m hopeful for micarta in the future as well. I like natural handle materials as well. So, it’s good they’re looking at it again.
RLR

Post by RLR »

I have carried, and still carry my ATS55 micarta Dyad Jr extensively. Zero issues and great handle material.
Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Had a similar thought a couple months ago..

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... a#p1258111
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I'm not a fan of the more heavily textured micarta, but man oh man is paper micarta ever svelte. So yeah, some Spydercos in that lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Forgive me while I act like my two year old...

Shaman! Shaman! Shaman!
In Cruwear Micarta...
Shaman! Shaman! Shaman!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

IIRC Sal said the swelling and dimensional changes were from knives coming from humid Asia. I wonder if a Golden produced model would even face the troubles. Seems like the troubles were occuring from shipping cross pacific. I could be 100 percent wrong.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:45 pm
IIRC Sal said the swelling and dimensional changes were from knives coming from humid Asia. I wonder if a Golden produced model would even face the troubles. Seems like the troubles were occuring from shipping cross pacific. I could be 100 percent wrong.
Probably, if examples of those theoretical Golden produced models ever ended up somewhere like GA, SC, AL, MS, LA, SE TX, Eastern NC, etc. Even Indiana is pretty humid in the summer, but then gets dry in the winter. Actually, Indiana's humid and dry seasonal cycles might be worse than somewhere like the deep south that stays humid year round.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:33 pm
Indiana's humid and dry seasonal cycles might be worse than somewhere like the deep south that stays humid year round.
I'm in N. TX now and it gets pretty humid in the summer but nothing like where I'm from in N. IL. When I went back home for a visit a couple months ago I had forgotten just how humid it gets there. I always assumed it was from being relatively close to Lake Michigan. I'm sure that's part of it. However, while I was there I saw a news piece about how all the corn dramatically increases the humidity during the summer. I'm sure Indiana is pretty much the same.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:58 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Indiana's humid and dry seasonal cycles might be worse than somewhere like the deep south that stays humid year round.
I'm in N. TX now and it gets pretty humid in the summer but nothing like where I'm from in N. IL. When I went back home for a visit a couple months ago I had forgotten just how humid it gets there. I always assumed it was from being relatively close to Lake Michigan. I'm sure that's part of it. However, while I was there I saw a news piece about how all the corn dramatically increases the humidity during the summer. I'm sure Indiana is pretty much the same.
That's interesting. I wonder if it's the corn or the irrigation of the corn that adds to the humidity? Or the irrigated corn letting moisture back out into the air. I also thought that the humidity in S. Ga and the MS gulf coast was bad. Then the USAF let me have a couple lay overs in Qatar on the way to Iraq. Qatar is extremely humid.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
That's interesting. I wonder if it's the corn or the irrigation of the corn that adds to the humidity? Or the irrigated corn letting moisture back out into the air. I also thought that the humidity in S. Ga and the MS gulf coast was bad. Then the USAF let me have a couple lay overs in Qatar on the way to Iraq. Qatar is extremely humid.
Dude, sitting on the ocean in the middle east isn't as humid southeast Georgia, haha. Fom Brownsville up to Galveston, over to Lake Charles and Biloxi and Pensacola and Panama City, nothing in the US is like the dripping sweat and nastiness of Glynn County, GA. Beautiful area, St. Simons and Tybee and Savannah are some of my favorite places, but good God, it's humid. The motorcycle riding there is hard to beat, though. The rides and food and people encountered from Charleston, SC down to St. Augustine are some of the best of the best.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Buck has just released the 110 and 112 Slim Pro knives with S30V and your choice of brown or OD green micarta. They are linerless. I really love the look and feel of Micarta. I like canvas micarta on fixed blades, but I prefer linen or paper micarta on folders. Buck even has a barehead model with burlap micarta that is really interesting to look at.

I think Spyderco, of all companies, can overcome any issues they have had in the past and give us this wonderful material. This is my favorite scale material.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Maybe the quality of the materials available is better now?

Many variables in how this stuff is made and priced. Biggest being what resin is used. Original Micarta is made with phenolic resin (aka Bakelite). But nothing is stopping a manufacturer to use the more expensive epoxy resin used for G10 instead to create a Micarta like material. Which is more dimensional stable. But i guess you would lose some of the grippyness.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bodog wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:58 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:43 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Dude, sitting on the ocean in the middle east isn't as humid southeast Georgia, haha. Fom Brownsville up to Galveston, over to Lake Charles and Biloxi and Pensacola and Panama City, nothing in the US is like the dripping sweat and nastiness of Glynn County, GA. Beautiful area, St. Simons and Tybee and Savannah are some of my favorite places, but good God, it's humid. The motorcycle riding there is hard to beat, though. The rides and food and people encountered from Charleston, SC down to St. Augustine are some of the best of the best.
I rode a bicycle from Surfside Beach, Texas, headed east along the coast until I hit the eastern FL border, then went north a few states. Can confirm, it was extremely humid. Didn't help I went in the summer.
:unicorn