BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spoonrobot

Re: BladeHQ M4 Jade Dodo

Post by spoonrobot »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:05 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:59 pm
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:57 am
Dazen wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 am
Well, I won’t be doing business any longer with BladeHQ. If you do a sprint with a drop time make sure your servers can handle it. I had all my info saved and could not complete my order.

They said another run is all up to Spyderco, and not them. Please Spyderco do another run of the Dodo someone who handle the business, and do a few more so at least the die hard Spyderco fans can get one.
Is anyone at Spyderco and the supply chain listening?

This is the second time I have heard of the retailer putting the ball back in Spyderco's lap, second hand this time and over the phone the first.

This is just the thing I have been carping about all year long. This way of doing business is creating sour feelings towards the Spyderco brand the supply chain and the retailer.

Imagine how many of the silent ones you are not hearing from. Just imagine.
After weeks of hype and build-up, 100s (1000s?) of people login all at once to compete for the chance to pay $155 for a knife. Knife sells out in literally minutes. People complain online about missing out on their chance to pay $155 for a knife. Haha, BHQ & Spyderco know exactly what they're doing..

When it comes to these things, I figure you win some, you lose some. For as hard as I tried, I just could not score the Cruwear Shaman. I lucked out on the Dodo. That's the way she goes..
I disagree with this, wholeheartedly because if I did agree with it, I would have no respect for either entity and do not think that lowly of Spyderco.

I believe that Spyderco is trying out different a different business model in this past year and they are leaving allot of $$$$$ on the table and with it allot of hard feelings with those who have missed out due to lack of availability.

I also believe in Sal and believe he will be adjusting things as time goes on.

EDIT: I am saying this as someone who did not miss out but was able to order one.
This style of sprint run release has been going on for a long time. Anyone remember the original blue G10 Manix about 10 years ago? That one actually got me out of collecting for a while since it quickly became too valuable to use and I hate having knives that feel like that.

It does seem to be effective. Those who have $$$ and want the knife have ample opportunity to buy on the secondary market. Those who manage to purchase one at street price feel like they got a good deal and happy with the short term price increase and the feel of long term value. These two groups always seem to outweigh those who miss out and are so disgruntled as to leave the market (for Spydercos or specifically Spyderco sprints).

Regardless I think that Spyderco always puts the customer interest into their calculus, whether or not that factor aligns with portions of the group is up for debate. I can still recall several less than enthusiastically received sprints that did not meet the expected demand and had to be cleared out at prices that were either extremely close to cost or even below (Foliage JD Smith is a big one, there are quite a few others).

It even helps to recall the original blue Dodo, when discontinued, lasted for quite a while on clearance for $55 (2005 price) at STP.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If St Nick's did a 4v run, I'd have to try the Dodo.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

DSH007 wrote:
Dazen wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:43 am
Well, I won’t be doing business any longer with BladeHQ. If you do a sprint with a drop time make sure your servers can handle it. I had all my info saved and could not complete my order.

They said another run is all up to Spyderco, and not them. Please Spyderco do another run of the Dodo someone who handle the business, and do a few more so at least the die hard Spyderco fans can get one.

This is the second time I have heard of the retailer putting the ball back in Spyderco's lap, second hand this time and over the phone the first.

This is just the thing I have been carping about all year long. This way of doing business is creating sour feelings towards the Spyderco brand the supply chain and the retailer.

After weeks of hype and build-up, 100s (1000s?) of people login all at once to compete for the chance to pay $155 for a knife. Knife sells out in literally minutes. People complain online about missing out on their chance to pay $155 for a knife. Haha, BHQ & Spyderco know exactly what they're doing..

When it comes to these things, I figure you win some, you lose some. For as hard as I tried, I just could not score the Cruwear Shaman. I lucked out on the Dodo. That's the way she goes..
I disagree with this, wholeheartedly because if I did agree with it, I would have no respect for either entity and do not think that lowly of Spyderco.

I believe that Spyderco is trying out different a different business model in this past year and they are leaving allot of $$$$$ on the table and with it allot of hard feelings with those who have missed out due to lack of availability.

EDIT: I am saying this as someone who did not miss out but was able to order one.

If I'm being completely honest, I think the way this and other exclusives are handled is actually pretty fair. I assume everyone who wanted one heard about it well in advance of the drop because I did.. anyone who wanted one made sure to log in at 10am mtn time to get one and had, in theory, the same odds of getting one as everyone else who logged at that time to get one. If you were too late, oh well, sorry. Can't win em' all..

I agree it's trickier with the sprints when each of thirty some-odd shops are only getting 15-20 units and they are all dropping intermittently within a few weeks of each other. That can be a mess if you really want something. I think in that scenario though, Spyderco actually does a pretty great job of shipping the sprints out to all of the dealers at the same time.. how they then decide to roll out the product is on them, not Spyderco. I can't really think a solution to that..

When it comes right down to it though, Spyderco is a business and the goal of any business is ultimately to make money. I have always respected that Spyderco does so in a way that is as fair as possible to their customers, and I respect the h*ll out of them for their willingness to actively listen to their customers like they do. Unfortunately, there will always be somebody who feels left out..

I think it's also important to remember that the "demand" we see here on this forum, or similar knife enthusiast sites, for these sprints and exclusives is not necessarily representative of the overall knife-buying community. Hey maybe I'm crazy and totally wrong, but I'm willing to bet that taking resources away from making flagship production models so that everyone who wants a jade Dodo in M4 steel gets one is not sound business practice for Spyderco. I try to look at the bigger picture when it comes to these sprints/exlusives.. many are such niche products and yes, there is a lot of enthusiasm surrounding them here on the forum, but for the average knife-buyer, probably not so much..

I trust that Spyderco will always walk the line between treating me fairly and keeping their business running smoothly. If that means I miss out on a limited run knife here and there, I can live with that..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think I paid $40 or $50 for a used Blue Dodo years ago. You almost couldn’t give them away then. I sold mine quick because I didn’t like it. It just wasn’t terribly useful for me.

I would just watch the secondary market for these. It is a quirky knife and many folks bought one because of hype or fomo and many of them will, in my opinion, find that they don’t like it that much.

It will end up being a collectible in my opinion and I wonder how many pics of them in the wild we will actually see?

All that said, I was on lunch break and kinda bored and my impulse control was kinda low so... Ugh... Dodo inbound. :o
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

**EDITED - TazKristi**
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:21 pm
Ugh... Dodo inbound. :o
Hahah, love it! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I feel like there's a lot of people who wanted one just to try it - it's a niche piece and I think we'll see a lot for sale after the dust settles

Some exclusives sit around for a while - all the hap40 delica/enduras are still floating around and fradon lock is blowing theirs out
AwayFromMySpydieHole

Post by AwayFromMySpydieHole »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:15 pm
DougC-3 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:02 pm
Apparently there's been no official mention of another release of this one or DLC or SE?

I'm going to start a thread requesting a Red G-10 DLC 4V model from St. Nick's. The Dodo IMO is the perfect knife for this color and material combination and by the time it would drop, I don't think anybody could say it was too soon on the tail of this one.

GREAT IDEA!! I've mentioned this to the guys at St. Nick's myself. I know they already have many ideas in the pipeline, so this would likely be a few years out at the pace their exclusives are dropping. Not sure how BBS gets an exclusive per month where places like St. Nick's go 6 months between?? :(

Who’s to say BBS didn’t commission 3 sprints at around the same time? Also, BBS has been selling spyderco knives exclusively (and doing sprints) for almost a decade.

One of my favorite spydies is the tan/M4 manix they did in what...2011? Betting past history gives them at least some favor.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

**EDITED - TazKristi**
Doeswhateveraspidercan

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:21 pm
I was on lunch break and kinda bored and my impulse control was kinda low so... Ugh... Dodo inbound. :o
Laughing yeah we've all been there....
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Got my shipping notice.
But it's not for me, but for a fellow forumite.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

My buying nightmare: A few days ago I had put another knife in my cart and deleting it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I was seriously questioning my life choices with all the waiting I had to do between screens :rolleyes:
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

**EDITED - TazKristi**
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well they're already on the bay for $350-400. How the heck are people selling what they don't even have in their flipper hands yet? :rolleyes:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Peacedivision

Post by Peacedivision »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:19 pm
Well they're already on the bay for $350-400. How the heck are people selling what they don't even have in their flipper hands yet? :rolleyes:
It happens with every release. People were posting marked up DLT P3LWs while it was still in stock at DLT.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:16 pm
DSH007 wrote:

When it comes right down to it though, Spyderco is a business and the goal of any business is ultimately to make money. I have always respected that Spyderco does so in a way that is as fair as possible to their customers, and I respect the h*ll out of them for their willingness to actively listen to their customers like they do.
Well of course a business is in business to make money, never understood anyone stating such an obvious thing but I digress..

Sorry but I disagree with this, one of the main issues is too few being produced of models that are clearly going to be sell outs.

How is making only 400 even profitable for Spyderco? Well lets do a little hypothetical research and see.

Lets look at this shall we? M4 Jade Dodo sold for 154.95 retail.

So if we take 400 X 154.95 = $61,980 dollars of merchandise sold at retail. Sounds ok right? ahhh but lets dig deeper...

A Manufacturers gross profit is usually between 25% & 35% This varies. Lets use the Raising Percent model shall we and apply 25% and 35% but I am willing to bet it is between 15% and 25% ?

Doing so we can determine the best Spyderco will manage on a run of 400 items will be $15,495.00 @25% and $21,693.00 @ 35% that is not much profit but good on a small batch and likely less than what many manufacturers would bother to even put effort into so I say Spyderco is a company for their customers.

At 25% Spyderco makes roughly $39.00 in profit per knife and at 35% the make roughly $54.25 per knife.

This means that @ 25% 115.95 is left over and at 35% $100.70 is left over to split between the Distributors and retailer and covers the cost of doing business. From this I think the percentages are lower.

Gross profit percent is the profit margin of an item.

In order to determine the actual gross profit percent, a business owner takes the difference between the selling price of an item and the total cost of that item.

The figure he reaches is known as the gross profit percent. Gross profit percent applies solely to the finances of a company prior to having to factor in such variables as the taxes, employee payments, as well as a host of other figures that differ from one to another.

This means if Spyderco has a healthy profit margin it will be between 25% and 35% [

Average
The average manufacturer's gross profit percentage varies between 25 percent and 35 percent. However, items with more expensive price tags, such as motor homes, automobiles, and even houses, have markup prices of only 10 to 15 percent.

I believe Spyderco uses the following method allot but not exclusively and always with their specialty runs which is part of the reason they do them in the first place.

Raising Percent
In order to achieve the highest gross profit percentage, a business owner might use the "All Costs Plus Profit" method of pricing. This method of using gross profit percentage factors in the total costs of an item, from manufacturing all the way through to delivery, and then adds in the desired profit percentage.

In other words, rather than allowing market forces to determine how much of a profit percentage a business makes, this method creates the percentage the business owner desires. The disadvantage to this method of determining gross profit percentage is the possibility customers will not pay the cost of the item.

I believe Spyderco also employs this method but only on large batches and or when items do not move. Reducing Percent
In the event competition exists for similar products in other companies, a business might decide to adjust the gross profit percentage. Obviously, if a business sells a product at less than it costs the business to manufacture the product, the business loses money on every item sold. Therefore, in order to adjust the gross profit percentage, a manufacturer can sell an item for 30 percent over the total cost of the item, rather than 40 percent. This reduction in the profit percentage can lead to increased sales, which leads to an overall profit increase. You need volume to make this work however which clearly in numbers of 400 are not enough volume.

$ made on this run. Ummm not great in my book... but not bad either if you take a long view using the Raising Percent model.

I am willing to bet they could have sold twice as many easily especially since this knife came from an already manufactured items tooling etc.... have been done in the past. Here we changed the color of the G-10 and the steel. I am certain that alone is a bigger deal than I can imagine. I am certain this is the only reason they could make just 400 and not loose money.

I view Spyderco as the master of doing this.

When I see stuff like this it makes me Say thanks to Spyderco for even bothering with a low profit project like this and that production capabilities must be stretched with so much going on or their would be greater risks being taken with higher production numbers and following profit.

To me this speaks well of Spyderco producing this model for us and not just the profit, which as can be seen in not much for a company that averages 10 million in revenue with 84 employees. Pretty darn impressive.

The recent Straight Spine Stretch was produced in a batch of 1200. To me this seemed too little, but had to be done in order to make it work. The SS Stretch required redesigning tooling for a whole new blade shape, so there have to be gteater numbers produced to be sold.

Now this is what I say makes a difference between Sypderco and other companies and Sal must be a genius to keep this all this going.

So yes Spyderco must make a profit, I do not have a problem with them charging more, heck it is a blue wonder they manufacturer such items as these and charge as little *** they do.

My only wish is more would be made, not for me because somehow whenever I go after something I always get it but for the ones who missed out and no the secondary market doubling the price on a item not even a day old is not only unacceptable but despicable behavior in my book.

Ah well just some musings.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

If history is any guide, BHQ is likely to do a run of this in DLC also, so there should be a second chance for those that missed it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Do we KNOW there were only 400 or are we speculating because it sold out so fast? I'm pretty sure I remember runs that were definitely ~1200 that sold out just as fast.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:05 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:16 pm
DSH007 wrote:

When it comes right down to it though, Spyderco is a business and the goal of any business is ultimately to make money. I have always respected that Spyderco does so in a way that is as fair as possible to their customers, and I respect the h*ll out of them for their willingness to actively listen to their customers like they do.
Well of course a business is in business to make money, never understood anyone stating such an obvious thing but I digress..

Sorry but I disagree with this, one of the main issues is too few being produced of models that are clearly going to be sell outs.

How is making only 400 even profitable for Spyderco? Well lets do a little hypothetical research and see.

Lets look at this shall we? M4 Jade Dodo sold for 154.95 retail.

So if we take 400 X 154.95 = $61,980 dollars of merchandise sold at retail. Sounds ok right? ahhh but lets dig deeper...

A Manufacturers gross profit is usually between 25% & 35% This varies. Lets use the Raising Percent model shall we and apply 25% and 35% but I am willing to bet it is between 15% and 25% ?

Doing so we can determine the best Spyderco will manage on a run of 400 items will be $15,495.00 @25% and $21,693.00 @ 35% that is not much profit but good on a small batch and likely less than what many manufacturers would bother to even put effort into so I say Spyderco is a company for their customers.

At 25% Spyderco makes roughly $39.00 in profit per knife and at 35% the make roughly $54.25 per knife.

This means that @ 25% 115.95 is left over and at 35% $100.70 is left over to split between the Distributors and retailer and covers the cost of doing business. From this I think the percentages are lower.

Gross profit percent is the profit margin of an item.

In order to determine the actual gross profit percent, a business owner takes the difference between the selling price of an item and the total cost of that item.

The figure he reaches is known as the gross profit percent. Gross profit percent applies solely to the finances of a company prior to having to factor in such variables as the taxes, employee payments, as well as a host of other figures that differ from one to another.

This means if Spyderco has a healthy profit margin it will be between 25% and 35% [

Average
The average manufacturer's gross profit percentage varies between 25 percent and 35 percent. However, items with more expensive price tags, such as motor homes, automobiles, and even houses, have markup prices of only 10 to 15 percent.

I believe Spyderco uses the following method allot but not exclusively and always with their specialty runs which is part of the reason they do them in the first place.

Raising Percent
In order to achieve the highest gross profit percentage, a business owner might use the "All Costs Plus Profit" method of pricing. This method of using gross profit percentage factors in the total costs of an item, from manufacturing all the way through to delivery, and then adds in the desired profit percentage.

In other words, rather than allowing market forces to determine how much of a profit percentage a business makes, this method creates the percentage the business owner desires. The disadvantage to this method of determining gross profit percentage is the possibility customers will not pay the cost of the item.

I believe Spyderco also employs this method but only on large batches and or when items do not move. Reducing Percent
In the event competition exists for similar products in other companies, a business might decide to adjust the gross profit percentage. Obviously, if a business sells a product at less than it costs the business to manufacture the product, the business loses money on every item sold. Therefore, in order to adjust the gross profit percentage, a manufacturer can sell an item for 30 percent over the total cost of the item, rather than 40 percent. This reduction in the profit percentage can lead to increased sales, which leads to an overall profit increase. You need volume to make this work however which clearly in numbers of 400 are not enough volume.

$ made on this run. Ummm not great in my book... but not bad either if you take a long view using the Raising Percent model.

I am willing to bet they could have sold twice as many easily especially since this knife came from an already manufactured items tooling etc.... have been done in the past. Here we changed the color of the G-10 and the steel. I am certain that alone is a bigger deal than I can imagine. I am certain this is the only reason they could make just 400 and not loose money.

I view Spyderco as the master of doing this.

When I see stuff like this it makes me Say thanks to Spyderco for even bothering with a low profit project like this and that production capabilities must be stretched with so much going on or their would be greater risks being taken with higher production numbers and following profit.

To me this speaks well of Spyderco producing this model for us and not just the profit, which as can be seen in not much for a company that averages 10 million in revenue with 84 employees. Pretty darn impressive.

The recent Straight Spine Stretch was produced in a batch of 1200. To me this seemed too little, but had to be done in order to make it work. The SS Stretch required redesigning tooling for a whole new blade shape, so there have to be gteater numbers produced to be sold.

Now this is what I say makes a difference between Sypderco and other companies and Sal must be a genius to keep this all this going.

So yes Spyderco must make a profit, I do not have a problem with them charging more, heck it is a blue wonder they manufacturer such items as these and charge as little *** they do.

My only wish is more would be made, not for me because somehow whenever I go after something I always get it but for the ones who missed out and no the secondary market doubling the price on a item not even a day old is not only unacceptable but despicable behavior in my book.

Ah well just some musings.

The one point you are missing is capacity. If they made 600 more of these, that is going to be one exclusive run of 600 of some other Golden model that doesn't get made. Would you rather have 20 exclusives in runs of 600, or 10 exclusives in runs of 1,200? I'll go with the former so there are more models to please many different tastes.

Of course many of these runs could sell many more units, but ultimately we are stuck until they expand capacity to allow for larger runs. And don't forget that scarcity and excusivity is what drives a lot of the demand anyways. Its a tough balance and I think they are doing a good job.

This was a great year with the Cru-carta Shaman and the new steels we are seeing in Seki. The Straight Spine Stretch was a great surprise, and the Dodo was the icing on the cake of an awesome 2019.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Nope Capacity is in there, sorry for the eyestrain :)